I just need to rant

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well my jetta is down for a couple of days, this time it needs a new EGR valve and a Turbo. Apparently the waste gate is shot, and it's over boosting the car, which then goes into limp mode - not much fun on the highway. so for a rebuilt turbo, EGR it's going to be around $1600.00 installed...merry Xmas to me.:mad:
By the time I'm done with this car I (read my mech) would have rebuilt it.

I bought the car 1.5 years ago and have since put half the purchase price into it in new parts. When I sell it someone is going to get a totally tuned car...and I have to sell it in about 6 months as I hopefully will be moving and no longer in need of 2 cars...

rant over. Feel better. Now it's off to work some OT to pay the visa bill...:eek:

Merry Christmas all

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well first off the vnt15 in your car doesn't have a wastegate... And if the VNT actuator is all rusty and not working correctly, they can be replaced for like $200....

Who diagnosed the car? I have my doubts. Could be as simple as sticky vnt vanes.

BTW, if you are ever around Barrie, drop by I'll take a look at it.

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I just spoke with the mech, and I was wrong (i was half asleep when I got the call) it's the vanes are shot, stuck at full boost and they will not move. He checked all the vacum lines, VNT and is positive it's the turbo itself. I'm getting a rebuilt one and apparently they have been installing them for a few years and have had no issues.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
So the turbo needs a good dose of sea foam :) Personally I wouldn't swallow that bill.. I've never seen a turbo replaced because of the vanes being stuck. You can work them loose...

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
KAG said:
I just spoke with the mech, and I was wrong (i was half asleep when I got the call) it's the vanes are shot, stuck at full boost and they will not move. He checked all the vacum lines, VNT and is positive it's the turbo itself. I'm getting a rebuilt one and apparently they have been installing them for a few years and have had no issues.
With a quote of $1600 to get back on the road, I'd be getting a 2nd opinion...

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
take the car to Brandon - less headaches, great service, and you probably wont even need to bring out the Vaseline when it comes time to paying the bill.

b4runner

TDI
1999 Beetle
For that price you can get a bigger turbo put on. My turbo has the same issue, I just had it replaced with a used turbo when I got it and now it is screwed. I am gonna get the 17/22 hybrid turbo, but I have read lots of threads on here that clean the vains.

I don't know who Brandon is, but go to see him x6