Upgraded headlights DYI

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, I promised a few people that I'd share pictures of my HID setup that I got from Midwest Light Creations. I was shocked on how easy these were to install.

First of I started by removing the bumper. No pics there, figured there's plenty of DIY's out there for that.

Say goodbye old headlamps!

Next comes the new headlamp. As said in the listing it doesn't come with the 194 city bulb or the 7507 turn signal. Didn't think much of it at first, but then I found out that the turn signal sockets are completely different! Original socket on top, "new to me" socket from the new headlamps below:

I was also wondering where the heck the 194 bulb went, at first I didn't see the socket, but turns out it was just tucked into the housing. Bulb then in turns gets pressed into said hole.

New headlights installed! Bumper already put back on.

And the light cutoff is super sharp. I was amazed on how clear it was.

All this was literally plug and play. No splicing or cutting required. Eventually I'll run the signal wire for the fog lamps, but that's for another day. For now I get to yard the bumper back off and put some shims on the lower mounts to aim the lights up a teensy bit more.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
nice nero! Looks good! I know we've been posting on different headlamp threads. What headlights did you get from midwest?? I couldn't make the link in the other thread work....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought these ones. Took the little lady out to dinner after installing them, couldn't believe it, was like having a little sunbeam in my headlight. But a nice sharp cutoff so I'm not blinding everyone. And yes I had to order a ballast with them, I got the 35w ballast. Mostly because of the 3 year warranty.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I bought these ones. Took the little lady out to dinner after installing them, couldn't believe it, was like having a little sunbeam in my headlight. But a nice sharp cutoff so I'm not blinding everyone. And yes I had to order a ballast with them, I got the 35w ballast. Mostly because of the 3 year warranty.

Ok thanks! Nice lights!! Hey is there a city light in that headlight housing???

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is, it's just a 194 bulb, so it's more of an "illuminated backlight" to the headlamp, definitely not bright enough for twilight or night driving.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
How do these handle daytime running lights? Will DRLs blow through the bulbs quickly or is it not a problem?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Nero Morg

Thanks for the post and pictures.
I've kicked around making my own set up for YEARS, I guess if I drove longer distances and more at night, I'd be more motivated.

I have a few spare sets of HL's and dozens of ballasts and projectors from different Audi, BMW, MB & Saab's (some bi-xenon) ... I just don't have the gumption to get it done. But seeing results like this always make me think about getting out in the garage and get at it.

Well done sir, well done!

How do these handle daytime running lights? Will DRLs blow through the bulbs quickly or is it not a problem?
I was curious about this as well, but according to their site
http://www.midwestlight.biz/product-page/jetta-iv-chrome-hid-headlights said:
...Daytime-Running-Light (DRL) will work exactly the same as stock headlights. The HID low beam will be activated with the release of the parking brake. ...
Based on that, I would guess shorter bulb and ballast life is a possibility. In my many "ideas", I had considered re-purposing the fog light location (since that high isn't great for fog use) for a DRL, thought I had not worked out the wiring, etc.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had purchased a set of wrecking yard housings to build my own HIDs, or at the very least get the GLX headlamps that had the factory fog. Didn't have the time or patience for it thus I just ordered these pair.

I have the Euro switch installed, so during the day I drive with just the marker lights on, which illuminates just the 194 bulb in the headlamp itself. I also disabled the daytime running lights circuit by folding over the pin.

On Midwest's website he boasts that the HID bulb he uses will last 3000 hours, and they're only something like $35 to replace.

After installing these though, with the sharp cutoff I quickly found out how tired my shock absorbers are.... Lots of body sway when accelerating and stopping. You can see it with the headlight beams bouncing :)

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
I so desperately want to upgrade my pathetic headlights, and these look like a nice option. But after all is said and done it will come to over CAD$600 which is a tough pill to swallow!

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
There is, it's just a 194 bulb, so it's more of an "illuminated backlight" to the headlamp, definitely not bright enough for twilight or night driving.
Ok . I have the same light in my ecodes, looks cool but ya i get how it doesn't project much light