Temp sensor reads hot at startup

ENG

TDI
01 Beetle RIP 03 Jetta
We have an 01 NB. We bought it with aroung 120K on it. The temp idiot light stayed blue all of the time. I replaced and it worked fine until now. At this point (205K) it turns read and beeps at start up. Initially if you shut it off and restarted it, it would work properly (blue, then off). Now it stays red continuously. Could this be anything besides the temp sensor being bad once again. Thanks guys...

ENG

TDI
01 Beetle RIP 03 Jetta
My wife normally drives the VW but I drove it today because of the weather. I took a look and the sensor leads in the tank are only covered by about 1/4" of anti-freeze. I have a half gallon or so at home, I will give that a go. Thanks Steve!

ENG

TDI
01 Beetle RIP 03 Jetta
Added a little anti-freeze last night. Problem solved... Thanks again for your suggestion Steve.

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
Check the temp sensor . Sort of hard to see. Back of Coolant flange on the side of cylinder head . 4 pin ! If it's black Junk it . Update it with a green one. Buy o.e. No Meyle brand ! Get a o-ring kit too. Aslo the water pump can be leaching coolant over time and causing a low coolant alarm ! Here is the number for the sensor
059 919 501 A Cheer's R

ENG

TDI
01 Beetle RIP 03 Jetta
fixumrich said:
Check the temp sensor . Sort of hard to see. Back of Coolant flange on the side of cylinder head . 4 pin ! If it's black Junk it . Update it with a green one. Buy o.e. No Meyle brand ! Get a o-ring kit too. Aslo the water pump can be leaching coolant over time and causing a low coolant alarm ! Here is the number for the sensor
059 919 501 A Cheer's R
I probably added no more than 8 to 12 ounces of coolant but it did concern me that it was a little low. I replaced the TB and water pump around 70K miles or so ago. Plan to do the next replacement this summer. I wouldn't think the water pump would be bad after only 70K but I guess it's possible. I will reach around and see if there is anything leaking around the temp sensor as well.