EGR Cooler Warranty Invoices

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Hey all,
Would it be possible to get some copies of warranty invoices from VW dealers for bad EGR coolers in PD's? I found one by deezelpower on this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=102072&page=5&highlight=egr+cooler+tsb

Need some more ammo to take to the dealership. Have just received the results of a 2nd positive glycol oil sample, and now he's telling me I shouldn't jump to conclusions (and to stop reading the internet... hint, hint). What troubleshooting techniques did your dealers use to determine the problem? I don't have time to waste and need the vehicle back asap.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
Also wondering:
- those that received rental cars did the dealer offer or did you have to ask?
- those that had the EGR replaced, did you get an oil change done? I have just received an oil sample with low kms (to double check if coolant is still getting in the oil) and the oil is contaminated with glycol. I feel an oil change should be performed on warranty in order to get rid of the contaminated oil.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just checked the invoice that was posted. Same production date as my Jetta (10/03) and I'm at 42,000 miles. Just wondering when my cooler will leak. One thing though, since I blocked off the exhaust gas flow through the cooler, it may prevent the cooler from leaking. This was done 20,000 miles ago to keep the manifold clean and cut down on abraisive soot in the oil.The leakage may be caused by hot corrosive exhaust gases going through the cooler. Here's hoping. If my cooler ends up leaking outside of warranty its getting removed and its coolant hoses connected together.

--Nate

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
:mad: Regarding the rental/loaner, I had to ask. The dealer said a car wasn't provided under warranty, but when I called VW customer service, they said a car was covered by the warranty. I'm going in again this week for another loaner. :mad:

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine's done. Didn't even ask for a loaner, used another vehicle instead. Will post my invoice soon. Weird thing is dealer is not sure about the coolant source being the EGR cooler. They said they pressure tested the system and found nothing. Took my advice and changed the EGR cooler...
But, I did have to fight for an oil change. My argument being a warrantable failure caused the oil to become contaminated. Due to this resultant damage an oil change should be part of the complete repair. They did not agree. I did end up getting an oil change after talking with the dealer principle. Why does a guy have to do this? Oh well.
The only other bad thing is that they did not top up the coolant reservoir. It is down right at the low end of minimum. You'd think after performing a repair on the cooling system that you'd check the coolant level....