Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Yep, traded in my 2011 TDI Jetta last year. New car? A 2015 Jetta TDI! With the buyback, the "goodwill" money, and the Bosch money, I just had to pay the sales tax!
And, best part, I still get to drive a TDI! Best engine made for my driving! I just ignore all the political posturing and bloviating that went on. The TDI IS a clean Diesel! No sooty black smoke, nor any Diesel stink.
That was my original plan too. But I'm now leaning toward a 2015 gas Passat with the 1.8T engine. I've driven it. The TDI feels better off the line, but once you're going 15 - 20 mph, the gasser feels just fine, even faster than the TDI. Ideally, I'd like to get the Passat TDI rather than the TSI, but they go for a $2,000 - $3,000 premium, and I don't drive enough annually to recoup that on fuel savings.

Plus, I have this feeling that diesels are going to fall out of favor over the next few years (I think it's already happening), and I won't get that premium back on trade-in or sale a few years down the road.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
While I already replaced our 2010 Jetta TDI with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL, I just took my car to get phase 2 done. They gave me a VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition as a loaner till they are done. Not sure of the year, but this thing gets awesome mileage. I’m assuming it is a 1.4l, but it still will pick up and go. Not a fan of all the hard plastic inside, but it does get great mpg’s. I actually like this motor more than my wife’s 2017 Passat SE with the 1.8l.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
My brother gave me the same report. He road tripped with a friend about a thousand miles in a 1.4t Jetta last weekend and saw 44mpg. Better than the older Prius he usually takes on the trip and no perceived power difference over his 1.8t 2016 Jetta.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
My brother gave me the same report. He road tripped with a friend about a thousand miles in a 1.4t Jetta last weekend and saw 44mpg. Better than the older Prius he usually takes on the trip and no perceived power difference over his 1.8t 2016 Jetta.

Did the 1.4T start with the 2017 MY?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I finally bought my replacement car: a 2017 CPO Passat SE gasser with 28k miles. Still have 8k left on the mfr's warranty, and then two more years of CPO warranty. Kinda like it, but it definitely doesn't have that sure footed somewhat sporty feel of the Jetta. However, a lot of it (not all of it) could be the tires. The Passat has the OEM Conti Pro Contact TX, the Jetta has the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06, a much better tire.

Still have the Jetta TDI. BB appt is in 10 days. I may as well drive it rather than put miles on the new Passat.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
We replaced our 2009 Touareg TDI with a 2014 Touareg TDI. We later also bought a 2014 A6 TDI when we completed the 09 buyback.

Last edited:

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Well, I finally bought my replacement car: a 2017 CPO Passat SE gasser with 28k miles. Still have 8k left on the mfr's warranty, and then two more years of CPO warranty. Kinda like it, but it definitely doesn't have that sure footed somewhat sporty feel of the Jetta. However, a lot of it (not all of it) could be the tires. The Passat has the OEM Conti Pro Contact TX, the Jetta has the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06, a much better tire.
Still have the Jetta TDI. BB appt is in 10 days. I may as well drive it rather than put miles on the new Passat.
Sounds good.

I looked at a 16 Golf TSI SEL today for the second time thinking I might make an offer to replace my 12 Golf DSG. Awful weather here today and lo and behold the sunroof was leaking badly (soaked into headliner, dripping on seat).

I liked the car a lot, only problems otherwise were the auto transmission (especially at low speed for me--I like engine braking) and a bit of noticeable turbo lag. I can live with it, though, as in the gas world there is still life after 4000 rpm.

But this was not a CPO and I left. Dealer said they would "fix" it. I walked.
Am I wrong? Would you try to fix a leaking sunroof on an otherwise very nice looking, clean car? Red flag to me but now I'm wondering. Price was good...

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at a 16 Golf TSI SEL today for the second time thinking I might make an offer to replace my 12 Golf DSG. Awful weather here today and lo and behold the sunroof was leaking badly (soaked into headliner, dripping on seat).

. . . .

But this was not a CPO and I left. Dealer said they would "fix" it. I walked.
Am I wrong? Would you try to fix a leaking sunroof on an otherwise very nice looking, clean car? Red flag to me but now I'm wondering. Price was good...

Usually, a leaking sunroof is because the channel is clogged with dirt and the water is overflowing out of the drain holes. An easy fix. Was it a VW dealer or a used car dealer?

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Usually, a leaking sunroof is because the channel is clogged with dirt and the water is overflowing out of the drain holes. An easy fix. Was it a VW dealer or a used car dealer?
This was a used car dealer, not a VW dealer.
I remember reading complaints about the JSW sunroofs. Maybe I'm overreacting.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Well, we kept our '15 Golf TDI for now, but my wife wanted something different (she never liked the white car or the "dirty diesel". She ended up loving a Subaru Outback Limited. I found a pretty good deal on an '18 CPO and we drove 4.5 hours to just outside of Pittsburg a few weeks ago to take delivery (dealer would not ship it). The car is immaculate even with 21k on the clock and the wife is happy... I'm now the primary driver of the VW.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
Replaced the 2011 Touareg with a 2019 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Couldn't wait any longer for the new 3.0L diesel in the 1500.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting Story here:

As I said earlier in this thread, I did the BB and replaced my 2013 Jetta TDI with a CPO 2017 Passat SE TSI. However, my son (a college freshman) had a 2002 Volvo with 130k miles on it and I wanted to get rid of that and replace it with something younger and newer. I sold the Volvo back in October. Well, after two months of looking for good used Jetta's, Golf's and Honda Civic's, yesterday I bought a 2013 Jetta TDI from a VW dealer[FONT=&quot] -- a perfect clone of my last car, even the same color, white w/ Cornsilk Beige. 42k miles, but feels like it's brand new. Very solid. New tires, new brakes and rotors, fresh alignment, 40k service just completed (and that's an expensive service, about $700), all new filters, etc. Car drives great, feels like brand new.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So now, I look outside and see the car and it gets my brain confused thinking it's my old Jetta.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And btw, I really think I like Jetta's more than Passat's. More nimble, more sporty feel. But I'm keeping my Passat for awhile.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
DieselMann99;5452569 [B said:
Did the 1.4T start with the 2017 MY[/B]?
Looking at Fuelly(dot com):

.....the 1.4 liter turbo - at least for US folks - began with MY 2016.

After VW laid 25 grand on me, my '13 JSW TDI 6M was replaced by a '17 Jetta 1.4 turbo/5M.

Also per Fuelly my 15k plus odometer miles for the 1.4 is 39.6.
Last 10 tankups - Fuelly likes to do this - calc's 41.7

Incidentally, i've shifted to Shell 91 V-Power Nitro+ - the
dealer price is actually lower than the prior Chevron 87.
(Don't know how he does it!)

It's all good (but the JSW TDI's space, torque and MPG are
def missed).

best, ez

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
The late model TSI's get very good gas mileage, both with the 1.8T and the 1.4T.

My 2017 Passat SE TSI gets just under 40 mpg on the highway. Not much less than what my Jetta TDI used to get.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Looking at Fuelly(dot com):

.....the 1.4 liter turbo - at least for US folks - began with MY 2016.

After VW laid 25 grand on me, my '13 JSW TDI 6M was replaced by a '17 Jetta 1.4 turbo/5M.

Also per Fuelly my 15k plus odometer miles for the 1.4 is 39.6.
Last 10 tankups - Fuelly likes to do this - calc's 41.7

Incidentally, i've shifted to Shell 91 V-Power Nitro+ - the
dealer price is actually lower than the prior Chevron 87.
(Don't know how he does it!)

It's all good (but the JSW TDI's space, torque and MPG are
def missed).

best, ez
For me spending an extra $6-8 a tank (at $0.60 spread between 87 and 91) doesn't recoup the nanoscopic MPG gain in our Alltrack, shes a pig either way 25-30mpg. If I could get 32-35mpg it'd make more sense.

We have to cruise at 60-65 to get anything above 30MPG, at 75mph shes lucky to get 28.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
We have to cruise at 60-65 to get anything above 30MPG, at 75mph shes lucky to get 28.
This has been my experience with all gassers, in general, and why I now take claims like DieselMann99's of 40mpg trips with a grain of salt.

In my diesels I've just never really seen a huge dip in mpg when I'm traveling over 60mph whereas with all my gas cars the mileage efficiency drops significantly (and quickly) as speed and/or weight are increased.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
This has been my experience with all gassers, in general, and why I now take claims like DieselMann99's of 40mpg trips with a grain of salt.
Take it with a "grain of salt" if you wish.

Even though you're going to find this hard to believe, I actually have better things to do in my life and with my time than sign up on car forums so that I can tell lies about my mpg.

I've made about a half dozen trips in the Passat TSI in the last month between 60 - 140 miles, driving about 65 - 70 mph and the trip computer has consistently shown 38 - 39 mpg. Now I know that the trip computers aren't always accurate and tend to read a little high. Not sure if mine in fact does. However, on my last fill up, I took 12.2 gallons for 401 miles. The 401 miles were about 1/2 highway, 1/2 local, including some traffic jams. Do the arithmetic and that comes to about 33 mpg. If it was 100% highway, it likely would have been right around 38 - 39.

And also, comparing the Passat to the Alltrack is not a fair comparison. The Alltrack is a couple of hundred pounds heavier, and, as a AWD vehicle it has more drivetrain rolling resistance than the FWD Passat TSI. The Passat glides amazingly well. Even in gear, it glides almost as well as in neutral.

So call me a liar if you wish, but those are the numbers.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not calling you a liar. And that quote comes across harsher than it was meant. It's more about published numbers in general (by the auto manu's) and people on these threads informally relaying their first impressions since selling off their diesels without hand calculations or even a whole lot of time behind the wheel of the new vehicle. I only responded because so much of the past two years has been this new mantra that current engines are achieving the same efficiencies as diesel, but that claim seems to vanish once the vehicle is outside a relatively small window of parameters based on my experience testing various vehicles over that two year span of time trying to find the much heralded gem of diesel-level efficiency in gas fueled engines. I ended up back in a diesel wagon because I couldn't find one.

The trip computers aren't accurate, as you now acknowledge, and have corrected your report to a more realistic average of 33mpg. But that's not even the point, since the 38 is perfectly reasonable with a stick and some techniques (I don't know if you have an auto or stick, but it'd be harder to finesse those numbers with an auto). The point I was trying to make is that a diesel's fuel efficiency doesn't seem to drop as precipitously as a gasser's does when loaded up or exceeding the efficiency range (generally around the speed limit on US highways and also roughly correlating with a centered speedo needle...straight up on the dash).

As you hopefully remember from your diesel days, you got ~38 mpg regardless of how many people were the car, how much luggage you were hauling around, and regardless of how (reasonably) fast you drove--even if it was over the speed limit.

That is, driving around 65mph in your gasser is reported to be netting you ~38 mpg but as soon as you go up a hill, load up the weight, or just press that throttle aggressively (even simply passing someone) and the mileage plummets.

Those characteristics don't generally hold true when I'm driving my diesels. I get 38 no matter what (closer to mid-40s in my beetle)...and the speed limit around here is 70 with people average 85...and we always get around 38 regardless of how frequently we choose to keep up with them.

So I do apologize that my comments may have seemed a bit rough toward you since they weren't intended to call you a liar or anything even remotely close to that sentiment. I do, however, take issue with the math you're presenting and I think it's fair to calculate your numbers.

Anyway, as you acknowledge yourself now even while expressing outrage that I pointed out some concerns with your mileage reporting, 38mpg is under the best or near perfect conditions...hence the grain of salt (which I've never understood that term to be calling someone a liar; rather always considered it a statement to mean that the claim is possibly exaggerated or maybe won't be true for others for whatever reasons--not attributed to malice/lying, however).

I mean, the number you posted here are straight from the dash indicator, which is known for widely inaccurate claims so I'd simply point out that my skepticism seems to have been justified. The spec sheets claims you'll get 23/34, 27 combined. The 33 seems like a reasonable average, especially if you're doing more freeway driving than city rather than 50:50 you estimated (it'd also be more inline with average driving in the US). But again, that doesn't mean I have any reason to think or call you a liar and I did not do so in my post.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
First let me say, I appreciate the apology. The "grain of salt" remark sounded like a nice way of saying "liar", but that's one of the shortcomings of internet, rather than face-to-face communications. All good.

The trip computers aren't accurate, as you now acknowledge, and have corrected your report to a more realistic average of 33mpg.

I didn't correct anything. The 38 - 39 was straight highway. The 33 was 50/50 highway/local, or in other words, an average of 39 highway, 27 local.

But that's not even the point, since the 38 is perfectly reasonable with a stick and some techniques

I have an auto. I do admit to using some techniques like putting it in neutral on a long downhill, and not keeping my foot on the gas when approaching a red light and then braking in the last 100 ft.

That is, driving around 65mph in your gasser is reported to be netting you ~38 mpg but as soon as you go up a hill, load up the weight, or just press that throttle aggressively (even simply passing someone) and the mileage plummets.

The 38-39 mpg includes hills (I don't live in Kansas), passing maneuvers, etc.

Those characteristics don't generally hold true when I'm driving my diesels. I get 38 no matter what (closer to mid-40s in my beetle)...and the speed limit around here is 70 with people average 85...and we always get around 38 regardless of how frequently we choose to keep up with them.

That hasn't been my experience with my Jetta TDI. If I drove 65, I'd get about 47 (calculated, not trip computer); if I drove 70-75, it drops to 43; if I drove 80-85, it drops to around 40 or less.

I mean, the number you posted here are straight from the dash indicator . . . The 33 seems like a reasonable average, especially if you're doing more freeway driving than city rather than 50:50 you estimated

Read my post again. I gave the calculated numbers after a fill-up. And again, the 33 average would represent a 50/50 average of 27 city/local and 39 hwy.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If I drove 65, I'd get about 47 (calculated, not trip computer); if I drove 70-75, it drops to 43; if I drove 80-85, it drops to around 40 or less.

That's also my experience with my 2011 golf tdi. According to Fuelly the 2015 jetta tdi gets about 17% better combined fuel efficiency than the 2017 jetta 1.4 tsi. RUG(87 octane) is over 30% cheaper than diesel in my area right now. Averaged over the last year, RUG has probably been 20+% cheaper than diesel. I'd wager that the majority of 1.4 tsi owners are using RUG. So if fuel cost is a primary consideration, the 1.4 tsi comes out ahead (at least here in the northeast).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
If the vehicle is rated for 34 hwy and you're estimating you're picking up an extra 4mpg (38 hwy), then that indicates to me that you must be driving at peak efficiency. Do you think you can do much better than that?

(btw, I don't think you need to shift to neutral to coast downhill. IIRC, my DSG cuts fuel off when the throttle is released and this is reflected by the guessometer displaying infinity mileage. The auto might, as well).

By contrast, I'm using the worst driving efficiency for a TDI whether it be fixed, unfixed, SCR, or non-SCR. Mine is a post fix, SCR that starts around 38 and gets better from there. If you compare what you and turbobrick used as examples to mine, you'll see they seem to be what we'd expect.

You both agreed that "if I drove 70-75, it drops to 43; if I drove 80-85, it drops to around 40 or less." which is pretty darn close to me saying, "the speed limit around here is 70 with people average 85...and we always get around 38."

That is, all three of our TDIs get somewhere around high 30s to low 40s mpgs within a range of 75-90 mph. Do you think you can get close to that in your TSI at those speeds? My experience after a few fill-ups in a 1.4 golf, golf wagon, jetta and a 1.8 passat (which was strangely close to the 1.4s in mpg, which was another reason for placing the 1.4 options lower on the list of viable alternatives to our 2012 JSW TSI) was that at 75 I was dropping to low 30s and by the time I wound up to 90 I was dipping mid-20s and lower. Now, granted those instant readings were based on the guessometer but they were backed up by the overall averages per fill.

Have you had a chance to really get out there and test your TSI between 75 and 90 mph and what do you think you'd be able to achieve mileage-wise? I'm also curious whether you have logged your type of miles and what they might look like if you haven't already. It's possible you're driving much more than 50% highway--or rather that percentage-based kind of estimation is not reliable or even valid.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I hope you all realize that no one is going to win this conversation. We all have our own experiences with our vehicles, and there are enough variables in driving habits, traffic, climate, etc. to make everyone right. Or everyone wrong, depending on your point of view.

However, what bizzle points out about the TSI supports exactly what would be my concern about going to a gasoline VW. One area where TDIs shine is that they don't seem to suffer the FE hit that gasoline cars do when driving faster or harder. I've driven through many tanks in my ALH Wagon where I've run at 75-90 MPH persistently, and still gotten 50+ MPG. And traffic or no, winter or summer, drive it hard or gently, it rarely sees less than 44 MPG. Admittedly the CR cars with full emissions don't do as well, but they're also bigger, more powerful, and significantly heavier.

Regardless, I doubt a Passat 1.8 TSI would see 30+ MPG at 80-90 MPH.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
It's just a conversation...not meant to be "won" in my opinion.

But the question for many is how the current gassers stack against the TDIs and that was my main question when I first participated in this thread two years ago :)

The questions I asked were meant in good faith and not jabs or taunts or gotchas or whatever because it actually seems to me like there's less daylight between us once we get some numbers on the table. I'm genuinely curious if the TSI can do better...that wasn't like a middle finger statement. I couldn't get them to do better myself.

I found this post on a fuelly.com discussion:
This is my formula, using the average speed for the tank:

The EPA estimates 21 MPH and below to be "100% City", and 48 MPH and above to be "100% Highway". So where your average speed falls in that magic 27-mph span between 21 and 48 determines the percentage.

I reset the average speed at every fillup, and use the total to determine my percentage. The equation goes like this:

(your average speed) - 21 = X

X ÷ 27 = your highway percentage

100 - (your highway percentage) = your city percentage

It's still a subjective number, as pretty much anything you do is only an estimate. But it's one way to make it quantifiable and repeatable and consistent, so it's what I use every time. My SVT Focus doesn't have a readout for average speed, so I just don't show that field for that particular car. But my other three all do, so they get "the formula".
I don't know if anyone wants to try that formula for their estimates, but there it is for anyone who does.

Before we turned our 2012 in, the dealer accidentally stripped our oil pan thread and had to order a new one for us. We live a few hundred miles away and they gave us the 2014 or 2015 1.8 for a few weeks. That thing was an ocean liner and my wife loved the space, which then made me turn to her and explain that she didn't actually want a compact if she wanted an adult 5 seater...we needed a mid-sized. The mileage was somewhere around 18-20s on the freeway and by then it was becoming clear that VW wasn't really offering anything much more than the competition at that price, that size, and that fuel economy. We then went through a series of Asian imports and a couple domestics (stepping foot on a domestic lot for the first time in decades was kinda odd) primarily CUV (our top choice was a Niro for a while) but the price tag coupled with the same kind of drop in economy (albeit that's a hybrid, and that meant it was going to be using a *lot* more "fuel" then predicted) once we were at normal Southern Californian cruising speeds put them all around the same kinda meh experience.

I believe we drove somewhere between 8-10 different cars over that span of two years between giving up our 2012 and luckily ending up with this 2015 SEL that was 13K OTD in Jan this year. I was really trying to beat the TDI because I was allured by the articles at the time saying how gassers had finally caught up and made it so TDIs weren't economically viable and there was a bit of talk here of whether the TDIs would even go on sale again and what it'd be like if they did (how much, etc.). Anyway, that's where I'm coming from.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Bizzle, I agree with your first sentence.

And that formula is fine under controlled conditions, but kinda impossible in the real world to implement.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Regardless, I doubt a Passat 1.8 TSI would see 30+ MPG at 80-90 MPH.
You're probably right at 90 mph, but frankly my dear, I don't . . .

You may as well say that a TSI would get terrible mileage at 90 - 110 mph. I don't drive at 90 - 110, and I don't drive at 80 - 90 mph.

Keep in mind gentlemen, I LOVE the TDI. The TDIs get better mileage than TSI's, no argument there. I loved my 2013 Jetta TDI, and I just bought another one for my son. I drove it back home from the dealer on Saturday, and I LOVED driving it. I bought a Passat TSI for myself because the equivalent TDI's were going for $2,000 - $3,000 more, plus, I drive a lot less now than I did 5 years ago, only about 8,000 miles a year, so the mpg difference is less meaningful. And the TSI is pretty quick, quicker than a TDI. And finally, Regular gas is cheaper than Diesel fuel.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I love my tdi too. Which is why I'm holding onto it until the very last days before the Dec. 30 buyback deadline. What makes Fuelly such a useful tool is that it draws from a MUCH larger data set than a single (or couple) driver could ever achieve. Well, with the possible exception of Irv Gordon, RIP. More data gives better accuracy. I posted this link up today in another thread, but it also fits well here :

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/01/volkswagens-1-4-tsi-best-small-car-base

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I love my tdi too. Which is why I'm holding onto it until the very last days before the Dec. 30 buyback deadline. What makes Fuelly such a useful tool is that it draws from a MUCH larger data set than a single (or couple) driver could ever achieve. Well, with the possible exception of Irv Gordon, RIP. More data gives better accuracy. I posted this link up today in another thread, but it also fits well here :

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/01/volkswagens-1-4-tsi-best-small-car-base

Great article !!