Reading soot level with Torque

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I asked about it in 2013 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=379398), but I'm not sure an answer has ever been posted:
The mode $06 'Test Results' accessible from the Torque app include MID $b2 $c5, which runs from 0 to 50 gram. At or slightly beyond 16.75 gram it triggers a DPF regeneration. I'm now pretty sure this is the computed soot level in the DPF.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IDK, but since anything emission related should be readable with a generic scanner, you are probably on to something.

If you said that you were trying to pull airbag codes or ABS codes say, I would say ah, no way with a generic OBD2 scanner.

If I had a DPF car, I would compare soot levels reported in Torque with soot levels reported in VCDS since I have both and report back.........

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I asked about it in 2013 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=379398), but I'm not sure an answer has ever been posted:
The mode $06 'Test Results' accessible from the Torque app include MID $b2 $c5, which runs from 0 to 50 gram. At or slightly beyond 16.75 gram it triggers a DPF regeneration. I'm now pretty sure this is the computed soot level in the DPF.
That sounds about right to me. I monitor calculated soot load with a Polar FIS and 16.8g is almost always the trigger that begins an active DPF regeneration. It looks like you found it.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Just got Torque Pro that came with the cheap amazon dongle, I'm running it on a kindle 7. I sideloaded the app and am new to adding PIDs, is there anywhere that provides a good tutorial? Or just a list of worthwhile PIDs? Just looking for Boost, EGTs pre and post DPF, and will prob add this soot PID.

Also are the cheaper dongles limited in what PIDs you can read? I grabbed that CSV file hotpocket posted a while back and I'll give it a whirl tonight.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Also are the cheaper dongles limited in what PIDs you can read?
Generally the more expensive ones main "claim to fame" is their speed. This will effect how quickly readings can be updated. I do not use TorquePro but i did play with it a while ago. IIRC, there is a setup option for high speed. This option may or may not work with the cheaper ones.

The ODBII standards define the PIDs. Any OBDII reader should be able to read any OBDII PID.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used hotpockes old CSV file and boom it works!

If I were to add this new PID, how would the format be different that say the DPF delta code?

VW DPF Delta | DPF Delta | 017A| ((B*256)+C)/100 |0 |10| kPa |Auto

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I used hotpockes old CSV file and boom it works!

If I were to add this new PID, how would the format be different that say the DPF delta code?

VW DPF Delta | DPF Delta | 017A| ((B*256)+C)/100 |0 |10| kPa |Auto
Well, that's the part I would need to figure out. I need to see if using a custom PID will return values, then figure out what those values are and how they are being returned, then figure out the equation.

I havn't had a chance to start on this for reasons, but I'll try and get to it soon. If you figure out anything, please let me know.

And for starters, the 017A is the OBD2 Mode (01) and the PID (7A). So if we are wanting to look at the diagnostic mode, we would use mode 06 and then probably B2 for the PID. Since I haven't started working on it, this is just a guess for the time being.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ill try updating my CSV file, I'm guessing gr (gram) for unit?

What about the equation for the 4th column, looks like a lot of the others use 256 and variables, not really sure, but I'll take a guess.

VW Soot |Soot |06b2 |B-40| 0 | 25 |gr | auto

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ill try updating my CSV file, I'm guessing gr (gram) for unit?

What about the equation for the 4th column, looks like a lot of the others use 256 and variables, not really sure, but I'll take a guess.

VW Soot |Soot |06b2 |B-40| 0 | 25 |gr | auto
I doubt that formula would work. You usually only see -40 when dealing with Temperatures.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tired creating a custom PID using that feature in torque to no avail

I used 06b2 as the Mode and PID, with a scale factor of 1X, scale 1-25, it did register as a "Test Result" in torque but nothing ever registered, just a "-".

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on 06B2 data

The answer to mode 6 queries doesn't seem to be recognized as valid data by Torque. I sent a debug log in, and hopefully Ian is looking into this. See https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=7739.0 .
That being said, if you define a PID (any PID) using 06B2, testing it should give you an updating display that contains the soot load info in the eighth line, in the two bytes (four hex digits) after '7E82736'.
I just watched it across a regeneration: it topped out at '0699' hex, and then stayed at that value until about 70 miles after the start of that DPF regeneration, when some bytes in the 06b2 data block finally started moving again, and the soot value jumped to about 7 gram (03xx hex).

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The answer to mode 6 queries doesn't seem to be recognized as valid data by Torque. I sent a debug log in, and hopefully Ian is looking into this. See https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=7739.0 .
That being said, if you define a PID (any PID) using 06B2, testing it should give you an updating display that contains the soot load info in the eighth line, in the two bytes (four hex digits) after '7E82736'.
I just watched it across a regeneration: it topped out at '0699' hex, and then stayed at that value until about 70 miles after the start of that DPF regeneration, when some bytes in the 06b2 data block finally started moving again, and the soot value jumped to about 7 gram (03xx hex).
Good find. I suspected as much.

I was messing with it over the weekend and I received similar results. Hadn't gotten around to actually posting about it on their forums yet. At least it's good to know we can get access to the data in 06B2, just need to figure out how to convert it into something usable.

Using your data 0699, I'm converting it to 16.35, which looks promising. "((06*256)+99)*.01"

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
On the next regen the 06B2C5 value topped out at 68B=16.75 gram and then started moving again 55 miles after the start of that regeneration, at 2CC = 7.16 gram. DPF pressure drop at idle at that point was already back up to 7 mbar, a few miles (not immediately) after a regen ends it goes as low as 4 mbar. Somewhere between 10 and 14 mbar idle DPF pressure drop a regen would typically start. I'm hoping the 06B2C5 info will be a more precise indicator of how close the next DPF burnoff is.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
No news yet from Ian. In another thread on the Torque forum he sounded like a new version would be happening pretty soon (on a week's time scale), but I'm not sure whether equation access to mode 6 data will be in it.

In the mean time, testing a PID accessing 06B2 will give you an updating soot load display, but it is kind of inconvenient to get to (back out of real time - settings - settings - manage extra PIDs - select PID - edit - scroll down to 'test').

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
In the mean time, testing a PID accessing 06B2 will give you an updating soot load display, but it is kind of inconvenient to get to (back out of real time - settings - settings - manage extra PIDs - select PID - edit - scroll down to 'test').
There's an easier way.

In the Realtime display, you can add a "Push Button" (in display menu) and set it to "send OBD command". Just click it and put in the PID and it will send back the info you want.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
There's an easier way.

In the Realtime display, you can add a "Push Button" (in display menu) and set it to "send OBD command". Just click it and put in the PID and it will send back the info you want.
I tried that, but nothing came back.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Soot level is in Torque beta now

I am happy to report that reading of the (estimated) soot level is working in Ian's latest beta version of Torque!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I am happy to report that reading of the (estimated) soot level is working in Ian's latest beta version of Torque!
Excellent

What kind of changes are there to allow you to pull the data? I have a feeling that there's more than just pulling byte "B" or byte "C".

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Ian (the Torque author) changed something internally in Torque to allow access to the mode 6 data from the equation handler. For now this only works in the beta version. There's probably more work to be done before it can make it into the production version of Torque; for example, a floating widget can not yet display these data.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Ian (the Torque author) changed something internally in Torque to allow access to the mode 6 data from the equation handler. For now this only works in the beta version. There's probably more work to be done before it can make it into the production version of Torque; for example, a floating widget can not yet display these data.
I was looking at version 1.8.106 release notes and saw:

* Mode 6 replies can now be read by user PID

Is that what is needed?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Soot formula

Oops, sorry, I never posted that.
The formula is ((R49<8)+R50)/100 . The PID is 06b2, the unit is g, and for max and min 100.0 and 0.0 will work.

bud_128

TDI
2014 Jetta Tdi
So Am I right in assuming that this needs to be read with the key on and engine off to be close to accurate? I know running down the road I got it to read as high as 200g

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. It's stuck for about 50 miles after the end of a DPF regeneration at the value before the regen, but you can read it whenever you want. Sometimes the computed soot load moves a bit down, otherwise it seems to be a pretty stable estimate, increasing (for me) about 0.1 g / mile.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Oops, sorry, I never posted that.
The formula is ((R49<8)+R50)/100 . The PID is 06b2, the unit is g, and for max and min 100.0 and 0.0 will work.
I totally flaked out and forgot all about this.

You wouldn't mind if I added that to my CSV would you?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Good idea

Of course not - you should probably also post your current link.

zaphod99

TDI
2013 Passat 6MT, '86 Golf D, '78 Rabbit D
OBD2 adapter disconnects from Torque

I'm experiencing odd behaviour after adding the "soot" gauge to Torque.

The gauge seems to work ok (reading 70g), then after < 1min, Torque disconnects from my Bluetooth OBD2 adapter (cheapo aliexpress ELM327 clone) and will not re-connect until I power cycle the OBD2 adapter. If I remove the "soot" gauge all is back to normal, and no more disconnects. Weird.

Any idea what might be causing this?

I think I have a different OBD2 adapter laying around, which I will try and see if it behaves the same way. My phone is a Nexus 4, if that makes any difference.