How much to fill your tank?

whitevanman

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 110 afn
Hi everyone. How much does it cost you to fill your tank from near nothing right to the brim?

It costs me £89 ($142.00)to fill my tank on my 62 litre diesel tank

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
$65 or so here. (16 gallons x $4 ish a gallon)

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Ottawa, Canada prices approximately CAN$1.309/litre or GBP0.828/litre (£3.759/Imp Gal).

About CAN$65 for a 50 litre fill.

Andrew

whitevanman

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 110 afn
Ottawa, Canada prices approximately CAN$1.309/litre or GBP0.828/litre (£3.759/Imp Gal).

About CAN$65 for a 50 litre fill.

Andrew
well my fellow americans consideryour self lucky! its currently $11.15 a gallon over here in UK

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
'We don't have a Royal family to support!'

We subsidize the very profitable oil companies instead, to the tune of billions of US$ a year.

The trade-off of our artificially low prices is that our market doesn't get the most efficient cars, due to lack of demand: witness the top 2 vehicles sold in the US for 2011 (almost a million units b/w the Ford F150 & Chevy Silverado) are *STILL* pickup trucks that achieve combined 18MPG or so. Until consumers vote with their dollars, little will change here.

But to your Q: 12.80 gal. of B20 (80% petroleum #2 diesel & 20% biodiesel) = US$ 54.70

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I spend about 50 - 55 dollars. But I only put in about 13 gallons because I don't let my tank get very low.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I said the Royal family in jest.....:D Actually, it the taxes in the EU that are killing the consumer.

If you took away the depletion allowances and other tax credits to U.S. oil companies (like we give farmers, etc), they would just pass the increased costs along to the consumers. Most of the EU fuel pricing is in the form of taxes. The (BP, Shell, Total, etc) oil producers sell crude on the open market, so the refiners pay as we do here in the states for brokered crude (it's WTI or Brent pricing). It's really pretty equal, worldwide until you factor in taxes, and in the case of Venezuela, very high government subsidies for a State run oil company. (The Vens own Citgo, BTW).

I really have to chuckle when uninformed people say that "we need to drop the subsidies" to oil companies when, in fact, those are really credits and keep the crude drilling/production cost lower than most parts of the world. I am in the business and, quite frankly, it would be in the oil companies' best interest to just keep the government out of the game. At least that way you can blame your politicians for the high road use and sales taxes that would be charged on a declining crude supply in the U.S. (Royalty payments to the government will decline....remember those?) Then the refiners will be able to make a decent profit if crude pricing were to equalize.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
'...they would just pass the increased costs along to the consumers.'

I support this 100%. If I don't pay at the pump, I'll end up paying some other, indirect (read: lame, externalized) way not directly related to the fuel/oil/petrochemicals/plastics I choose to use, like when I pay my Federal income taxes to fund the subsidies.

'...it would be in the oil companies' best interest to just keep the government out of the game.'

Baloney! The subsidies allow them to sell WAY MORE fuel at a lower price in this country.
It's pretty simple economics - subsidies lead to waste & overuse of the subsidized product.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
'...it would be in the oil companies' best interest to just keep the government out of the game.'

Baloney! The subsidies allow them to sell WAY MORE fuel at a lower price in this country.
It's pretty simple economics - subsidies lead to waste & overuse of the subsidized product.
Believe me, we could sell crude to overseas/foreign customers with no problem (like we sell refined product out of several terminals in the U.S. already).

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Just filled to the brim yesterday for $4.09/US_gallon, 15.9 gallons = $65 (£41). Pretty happy since this got me 850 miles down the road ($.08/mile).

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
I live outside the US, I always put like 15 gallons. I fill with the equivalent to $60-62. Our average price is $ 4.20.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
got to love mexico!! I can fill my tank with around 40 dlls..
10.38 pesos/liter
55 liter tank=570 pesos
13 pesos=1 dolar
full tank 43 dlls
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
But here important is, [P/GDP per capita]

(P=how much a tank of gas/diesel costs.)

I think USA is still cheaper in reality.

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
But here important is, [P/GDP per capita]

(P=how much a tank of gas/diesel costs.)

I think USA is still cheaper in reality.
If you see it that way.... Of course USA is cheaper. But we have to pay those prices if we want to make our cars roll!!!
It doesn't matter if you make more or less money. You have to pay for fuel the same way a billionaire does.
But of course I can not afford to have a 4.8 liter gasoline BMW X5, thats why I own a TDI.
We can not get 60-70mpg (we don't have the roads to achieve that). But we can get 45mpg... And talking about the same kind of car, it is a lot cheaper to buy fuel and drive the TDI (cost per km driven) than a 2.slow.

Jim W

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Both my wife and I filled up our vehicles within a day of each other. We both spent $4.00 a gallon for D2. Her cost for 11.47 gallons was $46.00. (She will not let the fuel gage go below 1/4 tank full) My cost for my pick-up was $92.00 this was 27.95 gallons, truck hold 34 gallons. Now if this was RUG for my pick-up that would have been $121.58. So not only do I get lower price on fueling up I also get better fuel mileage with the D2 over RUG, WIN WIN.
Jim W.

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
If you see it that way.... Of course USA is cheaper. But we have to pay those prices if we want to make our cars roll!!!
It doesn't matter if you make more or less money. You have to pay for fuel the same way a billionaire does.
But of course I can not afford to have a 4.8 liter gasoline BMW X5, thats why I own a TDI.
We can not get 60-70mpg (we don't have the roads to achieve that). But we can get 45mpg... And talking about the same kind of car, it is a lot cheaper to buy fuel and drive the TDI (cost per km driven) than a 2.slow.
That's true, have no objection but we've got to think macro.

About my 60 mpg, yep it's the milage per gallon that I do everyday, but I am not living in Istanbul :D (a big and crowded city in my country)

And my house located outside of the city so I'm using the highway, everyday I drive about 100 km. (62 miles a day)

And the average diesel price is 8$ for a gallon here, (I think this is the highest all over the world :D)

So what? Actually nothing. Petrol sources are limited, it can be bought with US dollars, so it's getting expensive day by day. Nothing to stop, just paying. As you understand I am not millionaire who drives a 1.4 liter TDI engine :)

Anyway, those were the same things spoken million times, enjoy your TDI and drive safe :cool:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
That's true, have no objection but we've got to think macro.

About my 60 mpg, yep it's the milage per gallon that I do everyday, but I am not living in Istanbul :D (a big and crowded city in my country)

And my house located outside of the city so I'm using the highway, everyday I drive about 100 km. (62 miles a day)

And the average diesel price is 8$ for a gallon here, (I think this is the highest all over the world :D)

So what? Actually nothing. Petrol sources are limited, it can be bought with US dollars, so it's getting expensive day by day. Nothing to stop, just paying. As you understand I am not millionaire who drives a 1.4 liter TDI engine :)

Anyway, those were the same things spoken million times, enjoy your TDI and drive safe :cool:
I think England is more expensive (in dollars) than $8/gallon (it's ~$10).

We wish we had 1.4 liter (or smaller) TDI's here for our use!!

While fuel prices are going up, car ownership is about all costs associated with it, including fuel. That would include insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc.

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
I think England is more expensive (in dollars) than $8/gallon (it's ~$10).

We wish we had 1.4 liter (or smaller) TDI's here for our use!!

While fuel prices are going up, car ownership is about all costs associated with it, including fuel. That would include insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc.

Just a few days ago, a friend of mine bought a brand new 1.2 liter TDI VW Polo Bluemotion. Don't they sell those in ENG?

Turks say, it's smelling the fuel instead consuming. :D

nadroba

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Jetta
Just a few days ago, a friend of mine bought a brand new 1.2 liter TDI VW Polo Bluemotion. Don't they sell those in ENG?

Turks say, it's smelling the fuel instead consuming. :D
Pretty funny. But true!! I've heard that this engine is called the 3L. Because it only burns like 3 liters/100km. We don't have that engine here.

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
Pretty funny. But true!! I've heard that this engine is called the 3L. Because it only burns like 3 liters/100km. We don't have that engine here.

Yep, also my 1.4 TDI is 3 cylinder :D

I used to work in USA for a while, probably same in Guatemala, the thing that I realised, you guys like big things:eek:

Rumbling V8's on the streets, large cars/SUV's etc...

I've also driven my old Ford Taurus V6 from Mineapolis to NYC, the trucks on the hghwy (I call them truck don't know how you guys call :D) like Mack, Kenworth, Frieghtliners etc... were amazing! Big, just big :)

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Except the latter will burn through those 14+ gallons by the time i finish writing this up. :D:D
Wife drives it (she is retired). Got 25.6 MPG on a recent trip to El Paso and back (around 1600 miles of highway). And that was at 70+ MPH. Hey, we put in 50 years of hard work so now a nice car is OK. Ever driven a CTS??