Subaru Outback

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Just transfered the lease on my wife's 2008 Toyota Yaris, and we bought a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 128,000km.

Should be great for the Central Ontario winters, and feel better with my wife driving this than the Yaris....which was fantastic, don't get me wrong, just not much car.

I have a few friends with Subaru's, and they all love them. Hoping to get lots of good years out of this, as my wife drives only 10-12,000km per year.

I pick it up Monday!

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i
Enjoy. They live up to their reputation in the snow. I kept my '02 H6 for ski trips, and hauling. Main reason I got a sedan instead of a JSW.

You might want to check out this site:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Lots of good info. Two things - the timing belt was/is due on your car. Make sure it was/is done. Second, the 2.5 is notorious for head gasket problems. Read and see if your car is in the model year range, and what to look for.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
Isn't the timing belt due at 168,000km? or just over 100,000 miles?

I only have just over 79,000 miles on mine.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Isn't the timing belt due at 168,000km? or just over 100,000 miles?

I only have just over 79,000 miles on mine.
Sorry...should have read your location tag more closely. You are correct. It is due at 105K miles, or 169K km.

Enjoy.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
First tank was 9.5L/100km, so about 25 US MPG. It was about 30% on the highway, and the rest around town and back roads.

I'll keep track of it's mileage as well, hopefully the average will stay around that, which I am fine with. But they certainly don't get the mileage of a comparable 4cyl from Toyota or Honda.

My Wife only drives about 800-100km per month, so a little extra fuel is not really a concern.

Should be great in the winters of Simcoe County though! Plus it offers just a little more room and flexibility than the Yaris :)

Here is a picture,

engmkiv

TDI
tdi
We have a 2005 xt outback, very reliable, low maintaince cost if you diy. mileage is about right if you keep your foot out of it and a manual trans up to 30 hmpg. I did replace the 17 in tires with 16 in rims and got improved winter grip with a narrower tire and more manuverable without a sacrafice in dry grip. No more changing to winter and summer tires.

Enjoy you new ride!

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
I have new 16 inch winters and steelies ready to go on soon!

Rated at 7.6L/100km or 31 US MPG here in Canada on the highway, so I would expect to get that on a highway run.

We have a 2005 xt outback, very reliable, low maintaince cost if you diy. mileage is about right if you keep your foot out of it and a manual trans up to 30 hmpg. I did replace the 17 in tires with 16 in rims and got improved winter grip with a narrower tire and more manuverable without a sacrafice in dry grip. No more changing to winter and summer tires.

Enjoy you new ride!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My favorite Subaru site is ultimatesubaru.net

It seems to be for folks who actually work on their cars much like here. Not all about tires and stereo's. But routine maintenance, problems, solutions, etc.

Infact TDI club and it are the only forums I check often.

I still think TDIclub and all the how to's etc is the best. But the Subaru site I mentioned is the best, most complete, and not a bunch of kids flaming that I've found for Subaru's.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Compared to 4-inline gassers of other brands? I would.

Pretty please find me a full size AWD wagon that gets better (available in the US):)

2010 Audi A4 Quattro 4cyl. EPA 22-30
2010 Outback Wagon 4cyl. EPA 22-29

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
nah, sorry. won't. I'll just stick with my diesel, ta.

Seriously tho. Some years back I attempted to justify an Impreza wagon as a company car; but not even the 1.5 2wd (UK only version IIRC) had mpgs close to others in it's segment.

gpshumway

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Pretty please find me a full size AWD wagon that gets better (available in the US):)

2010 Audi A4 Quattro 4cyl. EPA 22-30
2010 Outback Wagon 4cyl. EPA 22-29
Yea, and the Outback is massively larger than the A4. Note it runs on RUG, too, not PUG.

Our Outback CVT rental car returned 32 mpg on a 200 mi highway trip with the Thule box on top.