Timing Belt may have jumped a tooth?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Is there a way I can tell for sure with a Vag or do I have to take the covers off? It seems to run okay but it is smokey. Starts horribly in cool weather(40-60F). I have checked the injection timing with the Vag and it is dead on. Did the intake cleaning about 20k ago and adjusted the EGR cycle as suggested in this forum. Also checked the glow plugs even though they aren't used at these temps. Any help would be appreciated.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS
116,000 miles
timing belt done at 73,000 miles.
MAF also replaced at that time.
No CEL's at this time.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
You should check the static timing, this is different than the VAG timing, as it's a physical "the crank is in this position, and the cam is in this position".

Is the timing "dead on" as in advanced, or retarded?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I don't have the actual numbers I was getting but it was a little on the high side of the middle of the graph in my service manual, so I think that is very slightly advanced. Also, when I checked the timing I did check the temp sensor and it was reading ambient temp before I started the car, so it should be ok. And I am located in Atlanta, Ga. Someone suggested I put this info on here. ;)

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
alphaseinor said:
You should check the static timing, this is different than the VAG timing, as it's a physical "the crank is in this position, and the cam is in this position".

Is the timing "dead on" as in advanced, or retarded?

Can I check the static timing with the Vag-com?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
rix337 said:
Can I check the static timing with the Vag-com?
The suggestion was to actually line up the various items in the engine compartment and make sure all is where it should be. This is done prior to the VagCom checking.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Ok, no problem. I will dig into checking that when I get home. I just thought there might be a way to tell it on the Vag-Com. So if it has jumped, it wouldn't necessarily show up in the info found with a Vag-Com such as the inj timing, etc?