Disconnected battery - Now my radio says SAFE

TDI
1996 Passat Wagon Maroon
I know this is not TDI specific, but it happened as a result of fixing a TDI related issue, so I hope it's ok to post.

Last week, I disconnected the battery in hopes to "clear the codes" (found out later that this was not necessary). Now my stereo says SAFE. I learned what this is in my stereo manual, but the place where the code is (was) is no longer there. I am not the original owner. Called VW of America - they said to check with the local stealership. Went there - they said it'd by 1/2 hour labor ($48) to extract the code - they suggested the original dealer of origin. Called them and they said they don't keep those codes in their system, but to check on the "stereo chassis" where the number is engraved. At this point I wouldn't mind having my stereo stolen so that I could get a new one, which wouldn't be all that much more $$$. However, perhaps someone out there has a trick. I do not have a code checker (VAG-COM?). Thanks in advance.

Dave

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some dealers will give you the access code if you remove the radio and give the parts guys the numbers off of it. This is normal, they (VW and many others) have been doing anti-theft radios like this for 15 years or so.

You'll need a tool for the job, and to be quite honest, $48 is a bargain to R&R the radio, get the numbers, get the code, and reset the radio...PLUS you'll then have the code to be stored safely if this ever happens again.

Beware of aftermarket radios in Volkswagens as they can really screw with the communications bus and cause all sorts of problems if not installed correctly. FWIW I will not hook any scan tool up to any VW/Audi product with an aftermarket radio installed unless I know it was done correctly!

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
What oilhammer wrote. You basically need to bring in the radio and prove that you own it to get the code. I disagree that $48 is a bargain, but that's just me being frugal. I'd much rather put on my nicest smile and ask the parts guy for help, maybe while you're buying something else at the dealer that you needed anyway...