Benefits of Benefits of 2" Custom hitch Vs 1 ¼” class I hidden hitch

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
I would love to hear some thoughts on the benefits of 2" Custom hitch Vs 1 ¼” class I hidden hitch.

It appears than no 2" standard hitch is available for our cars.

I am really thinking about the 1 ¼” class I hidden Hidden hitch at this piont. 200# tongue weight and 2000# load seems more than adequate for me.

I may tow a small trailer very rarely but most often just a bike rack.

I looked at the install instructions for the hidden hitch and it seems relatively straight forward and pretty economical.

I am unsure what the upside is to go to a custom 2" install at this point.

Tnx for your input.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
2 inch offers a wider selection of attachments, just be aware of the receiver's load limitations.
2 inch reducers to accommodate the 1 1/4 stuff are easier to find than extenders needed to go from 1 1/4 to 2. These step-up converters and requisite length further lower the load capacity of the 1 1/4 receiver.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Even with a custom 2" hitch, your limited by our weak arse unibodies. Sure, we got the torque, the clutch, the brakes, the suspension to pull a lot of weight- but it's too much on the frame (or lack thereof). I still plan on a 2" just because I'm going to make my own anyway. Here's the best one I've found for reference.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Farfromovin said:
Even with a custom 2" hitch, your limited by our weak arse unibodies. Sure, we got the torque, the clutch, the brakes, the suspension to pull a lot of weight- but it's too much on the frame (or lack thereof). I still plan on a 2" just because I'm going to make my own anyway. Here's the best one I've found for reference.
i was looking at that one too... looks great on a Golf

I was thinking of this one for a Jetta

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2248631&postcount=10

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
HA HA Phil, speaking of towing too much weight

I definaltely think it was too much weight. what a scary drive huh? LOL:rolleyes:

jprine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 GLS Golf TDI, 04 R32, 05 Passat Wagon TDI
Is that your car? What hitch are you using?

I just got a draw-tite for my golf but it isn't installed yet. I'm hoping its as strong as the one pictured above.. lol. I'm only using it for a bike rack mostly, maybe a small trailer.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Tothemax, I forgot you got the "wrong" type of TDI (my bad). That hitch you referenced looks slick too! Just not sure how much I like having a square cut out in the bumper. Maybe if you could cover it with something, anything, I don't know...
jprine, that's my black Golf and I drove Kook's grey Golf towing it about 380 miles or so. I wouldn't recommend it. The class I hitches are real flexy... I was on pins and needles the whole time, but it worked out alright. Thank goodness for SBC stage III clutches LOL.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
it was a nerve wracking drive. at least I slept most of the way. but I would NOT recommend doing this. only for emergency situations. but the car drove fine, maneuverability was a PITA. I got stuck pulling it out of the driverway that you see there, it got kinda bound up, but it made it out. but once on the road, it was fine. but every noise was a a wondering "what was that?' moment.

But the Hitch itself is a Hidden hitch. it had three mounting points, two to the wheel well, and the tow hook in the rear. it is a solid connection. I have also towed a small Uhaul trailer with it. no big deal there. just use common sense and you will be fine.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope not to be towing any TDI's though but it's sure handy to have a hitch that can handle it if necessary...

Is is the one you got from hidden hitch? 1 1/4"?

If you towed Philip's car w/ it ... that all I need to hear to go and buy one.

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N60963.pdf

TDikook said:
it was a nerve wracking drive. at least I slept most of the way. but I would NOT recommend doing this. only for emergency situations. but the car drove fine, maneuverability was a PITA. I got stuck pulling it out of the driverway that you see there, it got kinda bound up, but it made it out. but once on the road, it was fine. but every noise was a a wondering "what was that?' moment.

But the Hitch itself is a Hidden hitch. it had three mounting points, two to the wheel well, and the tow hook in the rear. it is a solid connection. I have also towed a small Uhaul trailer with it. no big deal there. just use common sense and you will be fine.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
I've towed 3500-4000# a few times with my custom 2" hitch. I won't make a habit of it since I really don't want to rip my car in half but it handles it exceptionally well. I'd like to get a light duty weight distributing hitch for it (Reese makes a unit rated for only 3500#/350 tongue), I think that would help out my rear ride height. If I do that, I think I'll be welding some reinforcement to the uniframe where I tied in (2 holes on each leg of the rear box frame as well as the stock bumper mounting points)

After a few heavy loads my rear springs are quite whipped. I have a set of wagon springs to throw in but I'm thinking air bags may be nice if I don't get the WD setup.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EDIT in red

IMO One can really benefit from air bags w/ that kind of load.

p

mr.mindless said:
I've towed 3500-4000# a few times with my custom 2" hitch. I won't make a habit of it since I really don't want to rip my car in half but it handles it exceptionally well. I'd like to get a light duty weight distributing hitch for it (Reese makes a unit rated for only 3500#/350 tongue), I think that would help out my rear ride height. If I do that, I think I'll be welding some reinforcement to the uniframe where I tied in (2 holes on each leg of the rear box frame as well as the stock bumper mounting points)

After a few heavy loads my rear springs are quite whipped. I have a set of wagon springs to throw in but I'm thinking air bags may be nice if I don't get the WD setup.

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IMO One can really benefit from air bags w/ that kind of load.

Tnx - Brain is getting slow ... fingers even slower

mrchaotica said:
This sentence no verb.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
TDikook said:

Kook, did you have the airbags installed at that time? They make a dramatic difference in improving ride, safety, and confidence when towing heavy loads. I tow a 250 gallon tank of WVO sometimes. Even with the liquid sloshing around on a partially full tank, it isn't scary as long as I have the airbags aired up to a few psi. Without airbags, it's one of the most frightening things. The car porpoises upon stopping for 4 cycles. Freaky. With airbags = zero pitch cycling/porpoising.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Man I sure don't want to purpoise. Especially since I can't get airbags on the wagon.

What's Purpoising? Does the car bounce with an elliptical feel?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
kooyajerms said:
Man I sure don't want to purpoise. Especially since I can't get airbags on the wagon.

What's Purpoising? Does the car bounce with an elliptical feel?
Cyclical pitch motion upon braking. It feels like you're on a sailboat where the front rises as the rear falls and it repeats. It's the sloshing of liquids or transferring of loads that does it; but with the airbags it doesn't happen. Why can't you fit airbags to the wagon?? It should be identical. I routed the cross-over lines down the torsion tube and used 90 degree push-lock fittings with 1/4" drinking water line. I placed the fill port inside the fuel filler cap. Nothing needs to go through the trunk.