Alternator Belt or Timing Belt Cracks?

AndrewAugust

TDI
WTB MK4 TDI Wagon
I was installing a Frostheater today and noticed some mild cracking on the belt that runs the alternator. I'm a nubee so I really don't know if thats the same thing as the timing belt but I assume the timing belt is under the plastic cover beside the block?

Anyhow, this is what it looks like. Should I be concerned. I picked the car up used this summer from a VW Dealership certified with extended 2 year warranty. Should it be looking like that?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
That is the serpentine belt, not the timing belt. Those cracks are normal after running for a couple of years. I replaced mine at 100,000 miles when I did the timing belt service and it looked like that. Its is a $20 belt and easily replaced by yourself if you are concerned. If it breaks, it does not drive the water pump, so you can drive to get a replacement, but you will have no power steering, AC, and your battery will not charge and could run down fairly quickly with the headlights on.

The timing belt sits behind the cover on that end of the engine and there is a quite detailed procedure for its replacement (you can do it with the proper tools if you have the ambition and save lots of $ and have piece of mind that it is done correctly). Many TDI engines are ruined because of botched timiing belt jobs.

Also, I doubt an extended warranty would cover replacement of the belt, even if it broke. This to me, is a maintanance (wear and tear) item.

--Nate

Last edited:

AndrewAugust

TDI
WTB MK4 TDI Wagon
Thanks. I have heard some bad things about the timing belt if it's not serviced as required so I wanted to get a second opinion. Luckily it's not the timing belt, but what has me interested is that my car's only got about 50k miles on it. It's pretty young, but it's an '04.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
You do know about the special VW 505.01 oil that is required for the '04 TDI (pump duse) don't you? If not used, the camshaft and lifters most likely will wear out. This is critical. You might want to change the oil as the first maintenence item you do if you are not positive the correct oil was used. Also, the dealers are known to use the wrong oil.

Do a search on this list about camshaft wear on the BEW engine.

Also, about that 2-year extended warranty, I strongly suggest that someone knowledgeable with these cars carefully inspect the camshaft and lifters for wear and if found, the extended warranty could be used for this repair. Fixing this problem is a $3000 dealer repair!

--Nate

AndrewAugust

TDI
WTB MK4 TDI Wagon
Yes I do know about the VW spec 505.01 oil, and that's what I used for the oil change I did last month (Total Quartz Ineo MC3). I have also read about the cam wear on the BEW engine and I have really wanted to get it checked out so I can take advantage of the warranty if need be. Luckily (or maybe not luckily) I have taken full use of the warranty already getting a new turbo and new intercooler when I noticed oil leaking into the intercooler from the turbo. Dealer didn't question anything, replaced both for me no questions asked.

Are you suggesting I take the car to someone other then the dealer to get the camshaft and lifters inspected? Then if wear is discovered bring it in to get the dealer to chech it out. Or just take it right to the dealer and express concern about cam and lifter wear and request an inspection?

I expect if I took it to the dealer and the did the inspection and found nothing I'd get charged for the time they spent.