remote stopped working, key wont go into door

TJ__

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Silver
Hello,

This morning on my way to school i unlocked my car with my remote as usual, started the car, and drove off. When I got to school, and was walking away from the car, the remote would not lock the doors. Trunk, lock, unlock, panic, nothing worked. So I went to lock the doors with the key, and they key would only go maybe half an inch into the door lock.

I was at the dealer just a little while ago and they said the battery is fine and think I need a new remote. I don't think that is entirely the case.

My car has been starting pretty crappy lately, seems I may need a new battery soon (lights very dim while starting, takes a while to actually start). I am wondering if starting the car had the voltage go too low and reset some sort of computer system in the car?

The key starts the car fine, and the key also works in the trunk just fine. I had my driver skey mechanism replaced a little while ago (windows would go up or down, sensor was broken as well). I tested the new module as soon as it was installed, maybe a month or two ago, and it worked fine. I have not used it since then.

It is also very cold outside here (Ottawa), so maybe the drivers door lock is frozen? Any help would be great!

TJ

Last edited:

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
If they key only goes in half-way then the lock probably has ice in it.
Every time it gets cold here mine does the same. Seems these locks aren't terribly water-tight. A can of lock de-icer should clear that up, and lubricate the pins.

As far as the remote goes, hopefully somebody else here has some insight.

flyingmikey

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
first thing is replace the battery in the remote regardless ... reprogram if necessary, and try again .. also, have the car battery tested to see if its putting out its rated CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) ... speaking of car, what year/model is it? is it the '05? ... cheers, Mike