2012 Jetta TDI (with "Fix") sputters & dies after starting

JackSoot

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Son's car)
We sold our 2012 Jetta TDI to our son, after the "Fix" was applied by VW. All has been well, until about 3 weeks ago.

His car is garaged in a heated garage, so taking cold weather out of the equation (Green Bay, WI).

Once about 3 weeks ago, it started, but immediately was sputtering, coughing, then died. Did that several more times, until the battery seemed to quit. Trying to help from 200 miles away, it sounded like it was time for a new battery. Jumped the car, and drove to get new battery installed. All has been well since (starting in garage, and after being out in the cold all day at work -- no problems -- so we thought the battery must have been the problem).

This morning, in heated garage, same thing -- after starting and running fine every day for the past 3 weeks. Turned over, caught, but sputtered, coughed (like rumble, rumble, cough) and died -- just like the last time. Same thing for two more tries. He then tried jumping again (though I don't think this is a battery thing), and it caught, coughed a bit, then settled into normal diesel idle. He's driving to meet me now.

Will try replacing fuel filter today, but does this sound like a known issue to anybody?

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks!!

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I would go straight to dealer for warranty. Unless you’ve blown through those miles already in which case....
I would look for leaks in the fuel lines. Maybe not fuel leaking out, but air leaking in. That sputter & die pattern followed by starting up and running fine sounds like the fuel lines/pump are loosing prime.
Hope that’s not the case because from what I read - running these HPFP dry is a good way to damage them which can lead to catastrophic failure.
Good luck with it!

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago in my non-heated garage in northern Minnesota. After trying to start it normally several times, I finally put in reverse and released the clutch as fast as I could once it turned over so it was moving before it had a chance to stall. I was then able to drive off to work, although it didn't sound right. After work, it started and drove normally and haven't had the issue since. I ruled out it being the battery. After reading posts on the VW TDI Facebook page, my best guess is ice/water in the inter cooler from driving it in cold temperatures, but like I said, it is a guess.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Intercooler icing issue? I remember on my 2011 it had some terrible moments when that lower pipe was full of water. Unfortunately I didn't catch it the first time and the engine hydrolocked (no damage). It was run ROUGH sometimes when starting and also the periodic rough running when stopping at a light or intersection.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Any codes? I am going to guess not fix related, and is fuel quality, or fuel filter. I don’t have a heated garage but heat rises, is it making a significant difference in fuel temp? Also, guessing with winterized diesel it may start rough but should run and even out

'12TDITweaker

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium 2.0 TDI
Maybe look into running through some "Diesel Kleen".
Its a fuel additive we add to our generators occasionally when there doesn't appear to be any actual part failure.
Seems to do them some good.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
Intercooler icing issue? I remember on my 2011 it had some terrible moments when that lower pipe was full of water. Unfortunately I didn't catch it the first time and the engine hydrolocked (no damage). It was run ROUGH sometimes when starting and also the periodic rough running when stopping at a light or intersection.

Was this a consistent problem for you until you got it fixed? Mine did it once and I've had no problems since, so I'm wandering if there is still a problem even though I'm seeing no symptoms.

tdi_514

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG
happened to me yesterday. It wasn't particularly cold or anything but after the glow plug symbol went away I cranked it, it caught, then sputtered and died. did it one more time, same thing. Left the glow plug symbol disappear but didn't crank it for a few seconds, turned and then it started... this happened a couple of times since I bought it back in November.

theone2043

TDI
This happened to me and its getting frustrating. I had this happen back on the 6th and then again on the 19th. It took me a couple tries to get it started, each time it caught it bucked and sputtered before shutting down. Both times it takes about three or four tries before it will start rough then smooth out. I had my car tuned on the 7th thinking that would fix it but seeing how it happened again this week has me concerned. I also notice sputtering and jerking when going at a constant speed, 4th gear going about 40. Though that only happens on rare occasions. I'm thinking of making a trip to the dealership here in a few weeks but at 105k I hope whatever it is, is still covered under the warranty if they can determine the issue.

I also pulled the left side duct for the intercooler to check for water and it was dry, I wasn't aware there was a right duct which I was informed is where the water collects mostly but seeing how the left side was dry I would assume the right should be as well.

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Sounds like when my 13 beetle iced up the intercooler. It started, then shut off, then it would not start. Towed in under the cpo warranty and had the intercooler drained and the cold weather kit installed.

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I would bet this is intercooler icing/melting issue. Had this same thing happen and it usually appeared after cold spell and then having car in warm garage or quick warm up. Car would be very tough to keep running and sometimes sputter and die even though this should have been fixed on 2014.

theone2043

TDI
You mentioned it should be fixed in 2014, but that's what I have and I still have the issue. I was able to get time today to lift it and check the right tube and I only have gunk inside, no traces of water that could be causing the intercooler icing issues. So you may be right that the icing issue was corrected in 2014 but I still have issues from time to time with it starting and stuttering while driving. I pulled the pipe to the intake to take a better picture of the gunk I'm talking about.

Last edited:

tdi_514

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG
I would bet this is intercooler icing/melting issue. Had this same thing happen and it usually appeared after cold spell and then having car in warm garage or quick warm up. Car would be very tough to keep running and sometimes sputter and die even though this should have been fixed on 2014.
What you say makes sense and it happened again yesterday. I noticed the few times it happened we had a really cold day (below -15c) and then it would warm up to above 0 temp..
I have a 2014 and nope it still happens...