Seeking Advice On CEL Codes

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
2012 post-fix Jetta TDI with 80K on the clock. CEL came on solid for the first time ever. Seems to still be running OK. Stopped in at my local Advance Auto and pulled these codes: P026A, Charge Air Cooler Efficiency Below Threshold, and P0111, Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Range/ Performance (both permanent). I'm assuming this is related to the turbo but I don't really know. There was also a 618 No DTC definition found, and a 273 Right Rear Antilock Brake System Inlet Valve, both ACTIVE MIL. Naturally, I don't want to visit the dealer unless it is a warranty item, and that I'm well-informed beforehand. Thanks in advance for any advice. Geoff

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
If it's post-fix you should now have the warranty that covers most engine related things. Especially if its in the exhaust path.

Or at least get someone with proper VCDS to read your CEL codes.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Assuming the descriptions on the codes are correct, that sounds like an intake air temp sensor, I'd get a tool that allows you to read it. I'd assume there are two, one pre and one post intercooler. VCDS ideally but if I remember correctly that's a generic OBD parameter. To figure out which one is which, unplug them one at a time and see which value goes wonky.
Off the top of my head that's where I'd start, although it's a VW so it could also mean the rear passenger reading light is out :D

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I did some searching and found this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=474635 which very accurately describes the issue and resolution (thanks jw4free). Worth a read if any of you get the same codes or are just curious. There were similar other postings that related to TSB intercoolers and using winter covers on the grill neither of which relates to my issue. I'm still unsure if this is a warranty related issue, or if it could cause damage if I let it go unattended for too long. Anybody?

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Update

So I called the dealer last week and asked if my extended warranty would cover the MAP/IAT sensor. The service advisor said bring it in so that they could verify the issue. It was a bad sensor and he claimed that they had to go back and forth with VWoA in order to get it covered under warranty, but in the end "we" prevailed. The warranty itself is rather vague, only stating that sensors would be covered, but not specifying which ones. I said that this was most definitely an emissions-related sensor, and should absolutely be covered. In any case, it was replaced, although on this 2012 TDI Jetta, it involves unbolting the A/C compressor in order to gain access. Looks like they put about 80 miles on the car to ensure the CEL didn't come back on, and all is good for now. Just a heads up for anybody that encounters the same issue.