jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thanks! I bought them long ago. Unfortunately the body guy got a bunch of crap on them. Eventually a re-powdercoat is in order.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Okay I have a temporary windshield washer solution. I originally plugged my power wire into C/6, which was incorrect. I moved it to C/7 which is front washer/wiper ground, no go, plugged it back into C/2 front washer power. If i push forward on the selector, the rear motor wipes like it's washing and the nozzles spray up front.

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
hey man, grats on getting this running this year.
couple of dumb questions from my end:
I know you used B4 Passat front cross member and MK3/B4 TDI front motor mount bracket.
What did you use for the rear mount and did you use a VNT turbo?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
What cluster are you using in this?

Looks nice BTW, did you get the front control arms changed back to Mk2?

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I am running a mk3 cluster. Works like a charm I have been sending some logs to @burpod who has informed me that my actuator arm on my GTC1549VZ turbo is too short, causing my actual boost to be way above requested. I took off the actuator to find that there is no physical adjustment for this particular arm. It seems like boost requested is done via vcds, @Owain@malonetuning I know johnjackson had the same turbo and you guys worked on it. How did you account for this turbo on an ALH?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you, I am running a mk3 cluster. Works like a charm I have been sending some logs to @burpod who has informed me that my actuator arm on my GTC1549VZ turbo is too short, causing my actual boost to be way above requested. I took off the actuator to find that there is no physical adjustment for this particular arm. It seems like boost requested is done via vcds, @Owain@malonetuning I know johnjackson had the same turbo and you guys worked on it. How did you account for this turbo on an ALH?
I only asked because I believe the late Mk2 diesel clusters, the CE2 ones, will work with the electronic TDI cars.

Hope you get your turbo actuator arm situation fixed.

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, yeah I opted for mk3 just because it was more readily available. And I actually used B4 control arms which are shorter than MK3 believe it or not. I stuck with them as opposed to going back to mk2. I purchased a fender roller which helped, also an alignment really helped. Thank you Steve, I hope I get it sorted as well.

This is what I have found so far regarding this turbo and its adjustment:

EDIT: The bolts that need adjusting are the bolts on the SIDE of the bracket which contain slotted holes as can be seen in this photo.

I don't suspect an ALH ecu has this measuring block so it may not be relevant

I don't understand what this person means when they say that the adjustment is in the "three bolts" I didn't attempt to turn the bolts (studs protruding from the bottom of the diaphragm housing), but wouldn't tightening the nuts onto the bolts affect the length?

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright based on how the turbo is currently oriented, I believe that in order to Lengthen the arm I need to clock the turbo clockwise.

This is as far as the fine adjustments will allow me to go. Note the paint is where it was originally.

If I am correct I can clock the turbo further in a clockwise manner to give me extra length.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

rotaecho

TDI
mTDI AHU in an 82 Vanagon Diesel & 86' 1.6na Golf (destined TDI)
Howdy JAX! Great read! I've myself just started on an 86' 1.6na to ALH swap.

Curious, did you use the MK3 airbox or MK4 airbox?

If you used the MK3 airbox, did you adapt the MK4 MAF to it or use the MK3 MAF?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Howdy JAX! Great read! I've myself just started on an 86' 1.6na to ALH swap.

Curious, did you use the MK3 airbox or MK4 airbox?

If you used the MK3 airbox, did you adapt the MK4 MAF to it or use the MK3 MAF?
I’ve no insight into what you’re attempting but fwiw, @burpod will tell you the ALH MAF can be deleted if you’re tuning out the EGR, as that’s the only thing it really is used for.
Just a thought, if it helps.

rotaecho

TDI
I *think* I can get away with a MAF delete.

Phoenix does emission testing, but I can't get a straight answer of how they do that on older cars especially diesel. And I don't have it running to just drive it over.

I've heard it's a visual test to see if a muffler & cat is installed which I kinda already expected to install being a daily. I've also heard it's that plus an opiac test. However, I got no first hand knowledge from anyone.

I plan to install the ASV valve as a minimum runaway fail-safe. As for installing the EGR and it's associated bits, I'm hoping to avoid that, as I don't have any of that on that ALH that I remember; it's in a storage of mine and I plan to have it brought here in two weeks and I'll know how complete that engine was if it had EGR or not.

I’ve no insight into what you’re attempting but fwiw, @burpod will tell you the ALH MAF can be deleted if you’re tuning out the EGR, as that’s the only thing it really is used for.
Just a thought, if it helps.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

Phoenix does emission testing, but I can't get a straight answer of how they do that on older cars especially diesel. And I don't have it running to just drive it over.

I've heard it's a visual test to see if a muffler & cat is installed which I kinda already expected to install being a daily. I've also heard it's that plus an opiac test. However, I got no first hand knowledge from anyone.

I plan to install the ASV valve as a minimum runaway fail-safe. As for installing the EGR and it's associated bits, I'm hoping to avoid that, as I don't have any of that on that ALH that I remember; it's in a storage of mine and I plan to have it brought here in two weeks and I'll know how complete that engine was if it had EGR or not.
you can definitely "delete" the maf without it being noticed by either inspection or yourself as a driver. just requires little different smoke limiter tuning. you can leave it plugged in if you want and it will still read values, just ignore them, or you could delete it entirely and have no fault codes and should still pass readiness.

if they're not doing a visual inspection for EGR where you live, i see no reason why they would check for MAF being present in an old diesel... of course the best thing would be if you aren't required to have EGR crap present under the hood, as that really frees up a lot of space and source of troubles... still can be deleted in the tune and almost certainly undetectable for any basic tailpipe test they do. you can always have an egr-active tune version in the ecu if need be that you can switch to with vcds and not have to re-flash to get it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

It would be unusual for any emissions requirement on a 1986 Golf diesel. The requirement is based on the model year of the car, so since there was no catalyst required in 1986 then none is required now even though you're using a newer engine. And that car should be exempt from testing since there was no emissions requirement at the time it was built.

The only other restriction I know of is that the engine must be the same year or newer than the car, but fat chance anyone at emissions testing will be able to determine that on a VW engine.

I don't see how you'd have a problem with an ALH in a Mk2 Golf.

Steve

rotaecho

TDI
When I was in Los Angeles, that would apply. However, I'm getting conflicting information about Phoenix, and being told it's more restrictive than Los Angeles.

Even though the 86 came with no emissions equipment, I'm pretty sure I'll be required to install a cat and muffler. Per the DMV AZ DOT page:

"
Phoenix
If you operate a vehicle in Phoenix, you must abide by the following emissions control guidelines:

• Vehicles requiring emission testing every 2 years in Phoenix include:
    • Model year 1981 and newer vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 8,500 lbs.
      • This does not include diesel vehicles.
  • Phoenix vehicles requiring emission testing every yearinclude:
    • Vehicles manufactured between 1967 and 1980.
    • All vehicles with a GVWR greater than 8500 lbs.
    • Any vehicles that use diesel fuel.
"

So, this to me means every year I gotta do emissions testing.

The question is, what would they test?

I can't get a clear answer from them when I call, and no personal experience I can find.

That is why I'm treading water lightly.

It would be unusual for any emissions requirement on a 1986 Golf diesel. The requirement is based on the model year of the car, so since there was no catalyst required in 1986 then none is required now even though you're using a newer engine. And that car should be exempt from testing since there was no emissions requirement at the time it was built.

The only other restriction I know of is that the engine must be the same year or newer than the car, but fat chance anyone at emissions testing will be able to determine that on a VW engine.

I don't see how you'd have a problem with an ALH in a Mk2 Golf.

Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
When I was in Los Angeles, that would apply. However, I'm getting conflicting information about Phoenix, and being told it's more restrictive than Los Angeles.

Even though the 86 came with no emissions equipment, I'm pretty sure I'll be required to install a cat and muffler. Per the DMV AZ DOT page:

"
Phoenix
If you operate a vehicle in Phoenix, you must abide by the following emissions control guidelines:

• Vehicles requiring emission testing every 2 years in Phoenix include:
    • Model year 1981 and newer vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 8,500 lbs.
      • This does not include diesel vehicles.
  • Phoenix vehicles requiring emission testing every yearinclude:
    • Vehicles manufactured between 1967 and 1980.
    • All vehicles with a GVWR greater than 8500 lbs.
    • Any vehicles that use diesel fuel.
"

So, this to me means every year I gotta do emissions testing.

The question is, what would they test?

I can't get a clear answer from them when I call, and no personal experience I can find.

That is why I'm treading water lightly.
i would guess that would mean they would test and check to see if your golf contains the equipment a 1986 golf NA diesel had. i don't believe those had egr? so that would mean they would not check to see if egr is present in your diesel engine that's in it, which would happen to be an ALH. if a golf NA diesel did not have a CAT, they wouldn't require a CAT. etc. that's how i would take that information. surely there is someone in phoenix on tdiclub who's got a modified tdi and knows the laws - might be good to ask in a separate thread. ugh, i wish the DMV etc could just use a little bit of sanity and practicality. this stuff drives me nuts..

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
i would guess that would mean they would test and check to see if your golf contains the equipment a 1986 golf NA diesel had. i don't believe those had egr? so that would mean they would not check to see if egr is present in your diesel engine that's in it, which would happen to be an ALH. if a golf NA diesel did not have a CAT, they wouldn't require a CAT. etc. that's how i would take that information. surely there is someone in phoenix on tdiclub who's got a modified tdi and knows the laws - might be good to ask in a separate thread. ugh, i wish the DMV etc could just use a little bit of sanity and practicality. this stuff drives me nuts..
Ditto

The language may be convoluted but they can't require more emissions equipment than what was originally installed at the factory for that model year.

I believe that in cases like this the language is intentionally misleading and designed to create confusion. And further, it's intended to dissuade people from doing conversions that would ordinarily be inconsequential.

You may have to be 'inspected' every year, as per the above, but there's nothing to inspect, there's no cat nor EGR, and never was.

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Greetings,
I used a MK2 Turbo Diesel Air Box and the intake hose is from here. I was fortunate enough to have my vehicle registered in Yavapai county at the time so I never had to deal with Phoenix emissions. But generally, at least in Denver, for diesels they just perform an opacity (black smoke exiting the pipe) test. I cant imagine Phoenx would be much different. The MK2 D and TDs never came with catalysts.