BEW 1985 Toyota Pickup

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
Oh hey there, I started on what I hope will be a neat project, and so I thought I should document it as I go. Not new to car builds, but I am to tdi and diesel engines, so I may have a million or so questions as I go.

I'm starting out with a 2006 Golf TDI with the BEW and automatic. I got a pretty good deal on the car since the tranny needed some work that the PO didn't want to tackle. I drove the car for a week to make sure it was just tranny issues, and seems like it was just a shift solenoid. I should have probably held out for an ALH, but live and learn I guess. Please don't bring up BEW vs ALH arguments, I think I have read them all!

The truck is a 1985 Toyota SR5 pickup. I love this year with it being the last year with straight front axle. The 22RE spun a bearing and now will stay on the engine stand.

I plan on doing the project in stages:
1. Get the diesel mechanicals and electrical to work in the Toyota chassis.
2. After debugging or rebuilding things that didn't work, start on body work and interior work.
3. Build a flatbed with dirtbike amentities and a sleeping quarters that can go on/off easily. I've jumped the gun a little on this and started something in CAD...

So far the tdi is out of the car, the toyota engine is out, trans adapter is on order, and I am just doing cleaning and figuring out all the BEW wiring/harness. I plan on using Malone tuning at the moment unless someone convinces me otherwise. I want to stay pretty mild for longevity, and main reason for a tune is to remove some features and the immobilizer. All in I'm very excited about the project!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I am impressed with the overhead tire collection. The Golf with a plow, everyone has one of those

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
Jmodge everybody needs a plow up north!

Made some more progress today and pulled the harness. I found one pinout excel sheet on here so far, but I still want to order a service manual for the wiring diagrams.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
What adapter did you order? Curious what flywheel also and how you will reference TDC. I have an '85 4runner and hope to get started on it within the next year.

This is the adapter I am leaning toward, along with the heaviest flywheel and the largest clutch I can fit. http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/

I have been picking up information but haven't thought in great detail about everything with other irons in the fire. So I will definitely keep track of what you are doing.

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
Nice! I love all 84-88 toyotas.... Especially the drivetrain.

I considered that kit, but I liked the price of the DCS base kit. I am not 100% sure that it will fit a BEW, but I compared a lot of pictures with ALH before ordering. I know the bolt pattern is the same, but didn't know if any cooling necks intereferred. I guess I will know for sure by Friday. When I called it sounded like it had been a while since they tried it on a BEW.

Last couple nights I have been cutting down the harness with a couple anomolies from the pinout sheet I found, so I'll compare with my Bentley manual when it gets here.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Black, the only thing I will say for the BEW/ALH 'thing' is that you may find it problematic to access the fuel pump as there will be firewall in that area, instead of the space afforded by the transverse-mounted OE implementation...:)

Hopefully your adapter will allow use of the bigger 6speed clutch/flywheel combo. That extra half-inch diameter afforded by the O1M is likely going to prove valuable.
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
Yea I would agree. It's much thicker than an Acme steel adapter, but I'll place it in there today and have some pictures. I already found that I'll need to clock my starter, so already feeling like I should have bought the kit with the small starter, but I think I can make this one work. I think I'd rather clearance the firewall than move drivetrain forward, but again I'll know more today. The fuel lines do come forward on this engine from the pump which is nice.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I will soon have a Toyota adapter that uses the stock Toyota starter and a bit less money. Still the same 2" thick and clockable.

I also now stock a 35lb flywheel that takes the V6 clutch.

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
Ah hey evguy1! These posts will probably be comical to you then. I am a little slow on progress as I screwed up my back hauling wood, and can barely walk at the moment. Here are some pics from last saturday. I started designing a clockable starter piece (I'll have to modify my current). The DCS adapter works on the BEW, there is a hard water line in contact that might work, but it's hard contact on a sharp edge, so I will address that.

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Its interesting to see these little differences.
So you need to rotate the starter to clear the turbo outlet?
How thick is that adapter? Would my 2" adapter clear?
Maybe I should keep the mini starter design as well as the stock Toyota starter design. I was going to just go to the new design since most people are asking for it. I assume it works on the ALH?

BLACK

TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI
I'm not sure, but the turbo flange must be higher physically in relation to the starter on the ALH? I tried comparing height only in pictures, but it's hard to tell with them taken at different angles. 2" space might get the starter to clear, I can measure when I put my starter back together. I swear I have seen pictures of toyota starters where the motor is in line with the gear, but any replacements are like the one I have where the solenoid is in line with the drive gear and the motor is offset. This plate measures 29.4mm with my cheatometer.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat exhaust manifold will kick the turbo out of the way, but then you also need a different turbo. The hot side of the alh is part of the exhaust manifold, not so with the Passat.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its interesting to see these little differences.
So you need to rotate the starter to clear the turbo outlet?
How thick is that adapter? Would my 2" adapter clear?
Maybe I should keep the mini starter design as well as the stock Toyota starter design. I was going to just go to the new design since most people are asking for it. I assume it works on the ALH?
Can you pm me some prices on the new adaptor and the 35lb flywheel? Also interested in any info on the differences between the Toyota and the high torque starter in your previous kit. I like the idea of a starter designed for the diesel, not gas. I am collecting info and parts for my swap and Matt Whitbread spoke highly of your setup.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
I ran into the same starter problem on my truck. I was using a 3/8” acme adapter pate. I bought a mini gear reduction starter from car quest. That was my solution.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wondering if you have any progress to report