Mk6 Jetta: Hard Start / No Start - Intercooler icing discussion in here!

If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...

• Total voters

CrazyDazed

TDI
2013 Jetta
If any of you are having issues getting this replaced, long story short, I opened a case with the BBB against VW Canada. Then VW Canada then paid for the Winter Intercooler Kit for free, no questions asked. Which made sense it was common sense that it should have been replaced from free in the beginning.

Longer story was that I opened a case with Customer Service. This went on for almost a year as Customer Service was extremely frustrating to deal with. Customer Service would do things like tell me they could only escalate to a supervisor and then later admitted they could escalate higher. And told me they did so. However, when I did not hear back, like many things Customer Service said they were going to do, they had not escalated the issue. They also said that the dealership told them that my issue was not with the intercooler, even though the dealership told me it was. The dealership was so mad, they even cc'd me on an email to VW Canada stating it was the intercooler. Note that this was the second dealership to say I had issues with the intercooler. This issue was so frustrating and so disappointing that this is the last VW I will ever buy.

Last edited:

CRWalker

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI CBEA
More Info from Experience

Hey all, I thought I would share what I’ve learned through this issue. I had a P0401 code awhile back and stumbled onto this Intercooler tsb. Thinking this might help cut down on Intercooler sludge and help the engine run more efficiently would thus cut the sloppy egr. Anyway, I purchased and installed on my vehicle (which happens to have the CBEA engine, pretty similar to CJAA for those that don’t know.) I was still getting the brown junk in the Intercooler cold side pipe. Due to a leaking valve cover gasket and wanting to replace the pcv which is the valve cover itself, I ended up fixing most of the sludging! Turns out the particle separator system had clogged at some point and was allowing oily pcv gasses to dump into the intake and turbo and straight into the Intercooler. Now I just need to replace the glow plugs and Jenny shouldn’t any more problems starting even in the current single digit weather.

Hopefully this helps someone who is as frustrated as I was.
CRWalker

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Need details. :)

egr. Anyway, I purchased and installed on my vehicle (which happens to have the CBEA engine, pretty similar to CJAA for those that don’t know.) I was still getting the brown junk in the Intercooler cold side pipe. Due to a leaking valve cover gasket and wanting to replace the pcv which is the valve cover itself, I ended up fixing most of the sludging! Turns out the particle separator system had clogged at some point and was allowing oily pcv gasses to dump into the intake and turbo and straight into the Intercooler. Now I just need to replace the glow plugs and Jenny shouldn’t any more problems starting even in the current single digit weather.

What exactly did you add/replace that fixed your icing?

I have the new intercooler and am intermittently experiencing the problem. I have a case open with VW. I'd rather not do their job for them but if I can prevent the problem it's better than fighting with them for a new engine. (and believe me, I WILL fight them) It's an obvious issue/design flaw that they are just "band aiding" with the new intercooler.

I shouldn't have to tune it or drill a hole in the lower pipe to fix this.

2dye4

TDI
Jetta
Just experienced this for this first time, did the usual, took pipes apart, goopy slime came out with minimum water. I took apart the upper pipe that connects to the throttle body and flushed out the entire pipe with brake cleaner, blew out all the remaining debris/cleaner and it runs perfect again.

Is the TSB still open? 2013 with 82k miles?

Thanks!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have the kit on mine. First time 1/17 - 53,000 miles, towed it and had cold weather kit installed under certified preowned warranty, 2nd time - 1/20 -89,000 miles - drained 2 1/2 cups of water out of the intercooler- towed it under dieselgate roadside assistance- i killed the battery and that’s why it wouldn’t start after emptying the intercooler pipe. So, don’t view the kit as a fix, i am going to drain the pipe at every oil change and be very aware of humid and cold weather (just have to drive my gen 2 Passat instead of the bug).

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: its been about 6 weeks and 1400 miles, the bug has a winter front for days below 60*. I checked the intercooler hose today, ONLY 3 drips came out! Yay! Will update in 5,000 miles.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 2: another 5,000 miles - more than the 3 drips that i had at 1400 miles, hard to capture the water as it ran down the screwdriver twice while getting the hose off the intercooler. I don’t think it was more than a teaspoon. But interesting to note that it does add water in the spring / summer.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
At 106k now, winter front is amazing! Only a few drops of water since last removal of pipe at 95k. Overall, my fuel mileage stays 36-38 mpg in the winter, same as the summer and lack of water in the intercooler makes it worth the few moments it takes to install the front on the beetle.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
Just got one of these kits to install. Comes with the screws to attach radiator and condenser to the IC.... But they are totally the wrong size. Anyone else have this issue? I have called the dealer i purchased it from but they are in georgia and have no idea how its supposed to come cuz they never did one. They did offer to call tech support for me. I need the correct machine screws, the aluminum side of the IC wont accept the large bore plastic screws that were previously used.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I had mine installed when the bug was under certified pre owned warranty in 2017, the car has frozen the intercooler twice since the install of yhe cold weather kit (jan 20 and dec 22). Here’s the bug during the installation.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
Interesting, only twice since install in 2017. What were the conditions of your freeze up? My install is complete and when i went to toss my old intercooler out back of the pole barn, about a gallon of water came rushing out of it. It was laying on the floor of my shop for a week during our artic blast and then i threw it out the other day when it was 55 degrees F out. I cant understand for the life of me it wasnt frozen outside when i removed it and all that stuff didnt come out, but laying on its face for a week seemed to move it all around.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems like driving it in the cool rain then the temperature dropping belong freezing. This time on 12/22 it was in the 40s and raining, then the temperature was below freezing from 12/23 2pm until the afternoon of 12/25 and then was below freezing on the morning of 12/27.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
I guess i should update about a month ago i had an issue with the car being hard to start, it would run and then run like crap and i got scared and shut it right off. I let the key sit on for a few minutes, started it and it started right up and got me home. I had to go thru a few cycles of no start/rough idle start before i got to that point. When i got it home i disconnected the pipe, bareley any water came out. I remove the cold side pipe and cleaned all the sludge out of it. I am going to do the valve cover gasket this summer. I think that is the problem with the sludge, as it makes sense. Once i cleaned that pipe my intake noise got louder again and the car had much more power.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Why are you replacing your valve cover gasket? I've never really seen those go. Most people mistaken the fuel injector plates leaking for a valve cover leak.

ApproachMedium

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 Jetta
More Info from Experience

Hey all, I thought I would share what I’ve learned through this issue. I had a P0401 code awhile back and stumbled onto this Intercooler tsb. Thinking this might help cut down on Intercooler sludge and help the engine run more efficiently would thus cut the sloppy egr. Anyway, I purchased and installed on my vehicle (which happens to have the CBEA engine, pretty similar to CJAA for those that don’t know.) I was still getting the brown junk in the Intercooler cold side pipe. Due to a leaking valve cover gasket and wanting to replace the pcv which is the valve cover itself, I ended up fixing most of the sludging! Turns out the particle separator system had clogged at some point and was allowing oily pcv gasses to dump into the intake and turbo and straight into the Intercooler. Now I just need to replace the glow plugs and Jenny shouldn’t any more problems starting even in the current single digit weather.

Hopefully this helps someone who is as frustrated as I was.
CRWalker
This post is why.