Please just humor me...4.2/3.0tdi Audi CQ

nismo

TDI
not yet
I know I'm in dreamland here, and the 4.2tdi isn't even available in the US yet. I would love to go diesel just b/c I want some real power, and maybe cuz I'm just a little bit nuts.

I was thinking about the 10v 2.5tdi either in PD or CR, but I know some guys have put the 3.6/4.2 gassers into the Audi B3 chassis, and I'm wondering if anybody knows how similar in size and shape the 4.2tdi and the 4.2 gasser are.

I'm currently quite broke due to being newly married, but day dreaming like this is what motivates me to keep going...knowing that some day I may just have the money to build my dream car--which I why I'm asking you guys to humor me.

I had thought about the small motors and would like some serious power, but after doing some reading, I'd have more into modding a small motor than what a motor from a wrecked Q7 or A8 might cost...so here it is.

A 4.2tdi backed by an 01E 6 speed with flexible shaft and widened 1st gear (like a DQT)...lots of power, and it might just get pretty good mileage.

Thoughts?
Eric

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
How deep are them pockets! The 4.2 tdi is pricey, and add in the exchange rate (1.6 usd to euro) it's impossibly expensive!

But hey what are dreams for anyway?

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
Does the 01e trans resolve the cross brace problem of the tdi trans. scott said once that the tdi trans has a cross brace that creates a mounting problem. the 4.2 is cheaper than the v10! I have a rs6 with no motor in storage waiting for the euro to drop! Not to get to far off audi's but i bought a 1995 mercedes 300d which is getting a pump from Myna and a Holset HX50. good for about 450hp when im done! The 4.2tdi will happen it's just a matter of time!

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
HO'OLAKO said:
Does the 01e trans resolve the cross brace problem of the tdi trans. scott said once that the tdi trans has a cross brace that creates a mounting problem. the 4.2 is cheaper than the v10! I have a rs6 with no motor in storage waiting for the euro to drop! Not to get to far off audi's but i bought a 1995 mercedes 300d which is getting a pump from Myna and a Holset HX50. good for about 450hp when im done! The 4.2tdi will happen it's just a matter of time!
There are several issues using the 01E with a 4.2 TDI.. One it might not bolt up , the electronics, and then there's the issue of the engine being so massive it likely won't fit in and RS6. It would be a sweet project!

Last edited: