M5 Reverse gear without depressing clutch, during idle

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I posted this in General Discussion, which I believe it's incorrect.

Basically, I changed gear into Reverse without depressing the clutch pedal. I heard a loud "thunk-crash:eek:" sound and the engine went into silence. My immediate reaction was that I had killed the tranny.

I have been driving an automatic TDI for the last five years or so, and subconciously changed the gear without thinking about the clutch.

I'm not sure whether I damaged the tranny, but, I now hear dudded clicking sound whenever I depress the clutch all the way. Am not sure whether than sound was there originally.

My TDI is a 2006 with 12K miles on it right now.

Any feedback would be helpful and reassuring.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
dual mass flywheel. Search the forums for DMF failures there quite often. I wouldnt mention the not pushing the clutch thing in to the dealer tho. Just tell them it makes bad noises and to fix it please.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
So it broke something I am guessing. I have been kicking myself since last night. I hate going into dealership for anything.
Antsrcool said:
dual mass flywheel. Search the forums for DMF failures there quite often. I wouldnt mention the not pushing the clutch thing in to the dealer tho. Just tell them it makes bad noises and to fix it please.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Does it drive ok?
Is there oil coming out the bottom?
Does it shift ok?

You won't do that again, now will you?:D

You are probably ok, everyone is allowed one brain fart in life.. You can always hope you didn't already use your BF allowance on something else (or REALLY need it later...:cool: ).

You are likely ok, but keep an eye on it. look for oil leaks.

There is an old saying about engaging brain before engaging clutch.:eek:

Not ragging on you, lots of people do this once and some more often:eek: . I am sure I did it too a long time ago on a tractor or something...

Good luck!

Bill

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
It does not leak, shifts okay, and NOOO, will not do it again. Remeber, I was driving the slush box TDI for about 5 years now and forgot to format the floppy (if you been around) disc before writing onto to sectors. I do hear the slight clicking sound when the clutch is engaged more than half ways? Not sure what this can be?
40X40 said:
Does it drive ok?
Is there oil coming out the bottom?
Does it shift ok?

You won't do that again, now will you?:D

You are probably ok, everyone is allowed one brain fart in life.. You can always hope you didn't already use your BF allowance on something else (or REALLY need it later...:cool: ).

You are likely ok, but keep an eye on it. look for oil leaks.

There is an old saying about engaging brain before engaging clutch.:eek:

Not ragging on you, lots of people do this once and some more often:eek: . I am sure I did it too a long time ago on a tractor or something...

Good luck!

Bill

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
This AM, dealer told me the tranny needs to be dropped and taken a look at. When I declined, he told me to "drive at your own risk." I am getting another evaluation from another dealer.

Question: is it okay to drive for another day or should I stop driving?

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
..another dealer said the tranny is fine. One of my ex college buddy told me after test driving, can't find anything wrong with the tranny as far as he can tell. I have put about 400 miles since the incident and now I think I was imagining things that tranny went bad.

$100,000 question, how did the Gensinger VW came to the conclusion that the there was something "definitely" wrong with the tranny???

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
DieselDriver2003 said:
..another dealer said the tranny is fine. One of my ex college buddy told me after test driving, can't find anything wrong with the tranny as far as he can tell. I have put about 400 miles since the incident and now I think I was imagining things that tranny went bad.

$100,000 question, how did the Gensinger VW came to the conclusion that the there was something "definitely" wrong with the tranny???
if its under warranty they are playing safe
no warranty, maybe not

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Well folks, it has been about 30K miles since the mishap, and no issues with the tranny so far. So I guess it was my imagination that there were any issues with the tranny after all.