The Truth About Cars - "The Truth About Diesels"

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue
The Truth About Cars - \"The Truth About Diesels\"

I'm sure many here would contest this paragraph
While diesel engines have a higher thermal efficiency, and diesel fuel has slightly higher energy density, the real-world economy improvements will rarely, if ever, recover the additional initial costs and increased maintenance costs.
It also ignores the cost penalties of increased maintenance of the diesel, added headaches of water in the diesel fuel, cold start problems, and, of course, the general unsavory nature of the diesel engine itself. Diesel fuel isn't called an aromatic for nothing.
I think if he drove a diesel for a few months he wouldn't think it's unsavory. He'd probably add "the public's perception" somewhere in there.

It is hard to imagine that diesel cars will make a comeback in the US, other than as niche vehicles. There are still mileage improvements available to gasoline cars that can improve efficiency without abandoning our commitment to clean air.
This one shows how clueless he is. The same's true for diesel.

Sorin

Veteran Member
The Truth About Cars - \"The Truth About Diesels\"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorials/1105972578/
An interesting editorial on the pros and cons of our favorite fuel.
"It also ignores the cost penalties of increased maintenance of the diesel, added headaches of water in the diesel fuel, cold start problems, and, of course, the general unsavory nature of the diesel engine itself. Diesel fuel isn't called an aromatic for nothing."

I like the cold starting statement... i have a jetta TDI 2001 and Mercedes 300Sd 1983 with 421.000 Km and they are starting just fine in the cold mornings at -30 Celcius.

And the "incresed" maintenance of diesel engine.. must be those expensive spark plugs... another undocumented piece of one sided journalism..
My favorite quote
" The trend in European environmental policy has to been to focus on carbon dioxide, which is relatively harmless to people but may cause global warning

American policy has focussed on pollutants that cause real harm to people, such as the particulates emitted by diesel engines. It is a very different approach to basic public health policy issues."

I don't see any pros of diesel in that article beside some pretty lousy journalism. Just like watching CNN

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Re: The Truth About Cars - \"The Truth About Diesel

Ahh, what can I say? The writer's a dick.
I second that motion...all in favor say "aye."

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

arrrrrr and a clueless one to boot.

05TDIPDHappy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2005 Indigo Blue

Aye, and like an osterich has his head in the sand. The revolution will take time, but just you wait, as long as VW and others keep producing TDI type Diesel motors, more and more converts will be generated and the larger the TDI flock will be. One day he will have to eat his own words.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

I have recovered the additional up-front cost so many times over that I'm laughing all the way to the bank, and there have been NO additional maintenance costs!

MrExcuse

TDI
Golf Highline, 2011, United Grey

i don't think he has even driven a diesel by what he says. Diesel doesn't just mean fuel efficiency it is also a completely different driving experience from other cars.

gbangs

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

Aye here!
Granted, most diesel automobiles are more expensive up front, but I would like to know what higher maintenance costs are. Where are his data sources? I've had my car for almost two years now, and besides 'normal' maintenance, I've replaced... uh, um, mmm, oh yeah, nozzles. A whopping $155. At 110,000mi.

It is also interesting that he is using the now proven defunct Mann Hockey Stick graph of world temperature trends.

http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/hockey_stick/hockeystick01.html

Also, does he figure in the cost of a new gasser engine at 150,000 miles?

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip

Higher up front costs, but usually longer engine life and higher resale.

Matt_OToole

Veteran Member
TDI
none -- car free for now!

I wouldn't worry about this writer. Not only does he not know what he's talking about, who the heck reads his website anyway?

Everyone can be a publisher on the web. That doesn't mean anyone will read it, though, or that they should. So why give publicity to garbage like this, by mentioning it on a high traffic site like tdiclub.com? If Csaba Cere, etc., made comments like this, it would be worth taking issue with. But who gives a damn what this guy thinks?

LoveTDIs

The writer doesn't sound like he has first hand knowledge of Diesel vehicles.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

And what's that supposed to mean?

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant

He's so full of **it it's up to his eyeballs.

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey

This jerk needs to officially change his name to Richard.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver

HAHAHAHA...a hearty Aye! added to the chorus.

Is anyone going to step up and take the time to use his contact link and refute his entire article and give him the REAL and accruate information?

turkeyssr

TDI
none; as of 12/09/06

I find it funny how strongly people support their TDIs. While I have found it a good car, I didn't buy it to save the earth. You can't drive and save the earth. Everything takes energy; even bicycling. (Can you guess that I don't believe in Global warming?) The truth of the matter is, diesels *do* stink more, I own one so I should know, and in my case, the TDI in 40k miles has been a good car. It definitely could have been designed better, no timing belt, no EGR issues, no proprietary oil filter, but it's German, what can you expect? You don't get Japanese quality from the Krauts. I think everyone on this list should stop saying that the TDI is the end-all be-all to motor vehicles. In my opinion it's good, but not *that* good. Just my $.00002

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Re: The Truth About Cars - \"The Truth About Diesels\"

"Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" This author has removed all doubt. Cogratulations to him!

ausinus

TDI
1998 Jetta GL TDI , white, 166,000 miles

You don't get Japanese quality from the Krauts. I think everyone on this list should stop saying that the TDI is the end-all be-all to motor vehicles.

You maybe right, but the 'Japs' haven't had an original thought in years. When they stop duplicating the 'krauts' I'll start worrying about the reliability of 'kraut' cars.

By the way, ever seen a Toyota or Honda dealer parts/service department close down due to lack of business. They don't stay in business doing oil changes and spark plugs. Stop supporting the myth!

VW has it right..."On the road of life, there are passengers and there are drivers."

ausinus

TDI

PS Largest selling brand in Japan other than Japanese brands....Volkswagen!

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel

I just sent a two page rebuttal through their "contact" link.

As far as diesel "stinking" is concerned, that's very subjective. I find the smell of gasser exhaust nauseating, especially just after being started (i.e., before the cat gets hot enough to be effective).

ausinus

TDI

wxman agreed.

Gas cars that emit sulphur odours is not stinking???
But my diesel stinks!!

I think it stinks because I get double the mileage you get in your gasser and my engine will probably last twice as long too!

Yep, my diesel 'stinks' and I LOVE IT!!!

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue

I find it funny how strongly people support their TDIs. While I have found it a good car, I didn't buy it to save the earth.
Well, I did.

I bought my 2003 Golf TDI to show regular people that we no longer have to wait for a perfectly fine, off-the-lot vehicle that runs on renewable energy; biodiesel. I've been running B100 now for most of my 38,000+ miles and my license says... SOYFUEL.

I've had people come up to me on the sidewalk, in parking lots, at events and even a couple of guys that flagged me over WHILE I was driving to ask...

SOYFUEL? You can run your car on soy beans? >yup<
How is it modified? >not at all<
No modifications? >nope<
Gets 44 mpg? >yup< (I have a mpg sign on my window)

I don't think our society will stop driving, but if I can help switch them off of imported petroleum, maybe, just maybe our foreign policy can return to the support of democracy (and not the support of dictators that will cut us deals for oil...hmmmm, can we say Saudis?).

Tired of world terrorism? Let's stop supporting the Saudi dictatorship and see if terror strikes go down.

DasRaven

TDI
Passat, 2004, Silver

I wouldn't worry about this writer. Not only does he not know what he's talking about, who the heck reads his website anyway? Everyone can be a publisher on the web. That doesn't mean anyone will read it, though, or that they should. So why give publicity to garbage like this, by mentioning it on a high traffic site like tdiclub.com? If Csaba Cere, etc., made comments like this, it would be worth taking issue with. But who gives a damn what this guy thinks?
Tons of people read this site and most of us have followed the "Truth" editorial since it was a feature on Pistonheads.com (another great site BTW).

I didn't post this "garbage" to give them traffic, I thought it would be an interesting point of discussion. The very fact that people are writing about diesels is a step up IMO. At least they recognize that the subject needs discussion.

So, if Csaba Csere expressed this opinion in an editorial would it instantly be garbage? Why? What makes his opinion more/less valid than the writer's. Remember Csaba's mag also voted the 300C/Magnum twins to 2 spots in the top10 this year and extolled the virtues of rear passenger space as part of choosing best sports coupe!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

On his site:
"The continued existence of The North American International Auto Show is the best example of carmakers’ inability to accept and accommodate the enormous technological changes that have swept society. Let’s face it: it’s a dead show walking. Why would anyone other than industry-types on expense accounts fight the crowds, eat horrendous food and PAY to look at a parked car when they can see the same machine driving on their desktop?"

What the heck? I'm sorry, but you can not declare yourself to be a car "expert" if you think auto-shows are useless. "Desktop" pictures can NEVER replace a real-life view of a vehicle. And it isn't just to see cars that are in production (one can do this by going to a dealer), it is also to see new ideas and concepts. Seeing three shots of the Beetle Ragster DOES NOT suffice. Automobile manufacturers also use the shows to judge public reaction to certain concepts. One can disagree with some of the uses of auto-shows, but saying they are worthless is a mistake.

I'm sorry, he just sounds too full of himself and his own ideas. I'm drawing parallels to him and Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh, people who love to tell you "the truth" and how "things are" based on their not-so-extensive knowledge about certain things. Ignoring true scientific data and widely proven facts, they pronounce their own viewpoints as the real facts, anyone who disagrees immediately becomes senseless. Lets not "face it" and lets keep our heads out of the sand about the "true" multi-dimensions of every industry and social situation. This "technological" sweep (which in itself is a huge generalization, what EXACTLY is he talking about? what has changed so much outside of "technology" in general) has nothing to do with the success of automobile shows.

He isn't a car expert and I find it disappointing that he owns "thetruthaboutcars.com". His site is just so wrong! I suggest reading the pieces "Square to be Hip" and "Death to the stick shift"...let me just give you some excerpts from the latter piece:

"Of course, the last feature is actually a traditional manual transmission and clutch ... Today's manual clutch is the same antiquated system that's been around for the last 100 years, and it's a fundamentally unsafe way to control a car"

What is this "fundamentally" word that is so loosely thrown around?

"Listening to the engine can distract the driver from important auditory stimuli (e.g. approaching emergency vehicles), while watching the tachometer removes his eyes from the road. At the same time, neither foot is available for instantaneous braking."

No. Just on that last point, are you braking with your left foot for "instantaneous" braking while leaving your right foot "instantaneously" on the accelerator? Wouldn't this hinder your slowing progress? Don't drive with two feet, eh?

By this article, my best thoughts are that he doesn't know how to drive a stick AND he tried, and failed. He has concluded from his not very extensive research that stick-shifts are unsafe...(note the lack of european statistic, many more cars sold with standards than automatics. does that mean that all of europe is unsafe?)

Whatever....enough from me...

cevans

(PS the rant about those two journalists isn't a politically associated one. I'm quite conservative myself but those two still drive me crazy!)

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver

I think the Author resembles the Comic Book Guy in personality.