My almost ideal a4, b5 a4 alh quattro

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Team america.....................phuc yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This project is headed in an excellent direction. If you get this done by the end of september go to H20i. I'd love to see b5 swap in person. I have wanted to do one for a long time, but always find huge obstacles keeping me from attempting it.
It should definitely be done by then. Not sure how busy i'll be with work by then but i'm definitely up for a road trip.
I like the mounts, but is there a reason why you didn't just use the 1.8t ones? I believe the accessory bracket needs to be modified a little bit if going that route.
Nice project, it will be fun to drive once you get it to 100%.
Well I bought the car without an engine and my friend used to put honda k20's in fiat's for a living and said he could make them no problem so I went that route.
Plus with the passenger side mount the stock vnt sits to low and will hit it. A holset can change taht but it also has it's own list of caveats to be overcome and I wanted to get it running as a stock engine to eliminate troubleshooting.
And thank you both for kind words i'm pretty excited about it

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Got some work done today.

Marked this by eyesight alone and bent it after work today. That said i'm happy with how it came out. I tried 5 different auto places in town and no one would do it so I put it in the conduit bender and it bent right away no kinks etc.

Fitment, at most a 1/8" off of being factory made

Cut these for the coolant pipe while watching tv with the GF

Anthing wrong with putting this here? I'll prob just put it in the intake but I might have to lengthen pig-tail. It shouln't matter though right because IAT is IAT and that's what it wants right? Or I might mount it more near the fire wall so the wires "tucked"

I was exhausted when I cut/broke this out of the way but it works

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Any ideas? I was thinking of a race pipe to slightly turned 60degree coupler

Should I relay this?

Getting closer!!!

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along
So any chance you'll make it down h2o this week? I want to check this car out. Been brainstorming one for years and never had the means to do it.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
I'm working on a CJAA into an A6, and the fuel senders look similar. What I did was leave the stock sender and add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator under the hood. I have it set at about 8 PSI and excess fuel just returns to tank. It unloads the pump as it's not pushing near the pressure it used to, although I'm sure it's moving more volume.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
I'm working on a CJAA into an A6, and the fuel senders look similar. What I did was leave the stock sender and add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator under the hood. I have it set at about 8 PSI and excess fuel just returns to tank. It unloads the pump as it's not pushing near the pressure it used to, although I'm sure it's moving more volume.
I forgot to add I modified a passat tdi lift pump to work in the tank

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
ok been driving it for a week now and I'm loving it, It still needs some final touches but it's great. I've been having some issues with maf/limp mode etc but becuase it's an auto ecu I have to have a few things "tuned" out of it for it to run properly.

First tank was 32.4mpg's with the front brake dragging so bad I had to pull over twice to let it shrink so I could leg it home.

The drivers front (stil stock b5 a4)caliper/rotor/hard-line/soft line combo) has been giving me some grief and I don't know what to do. I have been smelling that clutch or brake smell when I get to work in the morning and was hoping it was someone else's car but it turns out to be my own;(. Tuesday I had to stop and let it cool down on the way home from work before continuing on and driving home in 2nd. I changed the caliper/pads/soft line and hard line all the way to the abs unit. I pulled parts from my other car that (minus engine) Has been in perfect running order until I quit driving it a week ago.

Please note I did this alone and did not bleed it though so I had to drive very cautiosly but I did regain some pedal pressure and was able to drive and it was fine but now it's starting to lock up again. Could it be the abs unit?

Also I'm getting a few codes but I think most of them could be "tuned out" like I said above

5-codes
p1650- Data bus missing from instrument panel____ My car is a pre facelift so I do not believe it has can-bus so this would explain that and i'm pretty sure vag com can delete that.

p1626- Data bus missing from transmission____ I put an auto engine into a manual car so yeah it is missing. I can delete this also with vagcom or tune right?

p1556- Charge Pressure Control:Negative Deviation_____it's not boosting until 3k rpm and it is quite sluggish but I have a list of things to check when I get time.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=336027

p1248- Start of injection____ I believe this is caused by my possible leaking pump or feed line (there is always fuel sitting on pump (see pictures) IDK though any ideas?

p0402- egr____I don't have one and need it deleted wither with tune or vagcom.

So there you have it I have 6 immediate things I need to take care of, 5-codes and a brake issue any and all comments/ideas etc are encouraged.

Here are some pictures:

Pump:

THis part is always covered in diesel it might be my lines though i'll have to check it out.

ABS unit (the line in the back Is the one that keeps locking up on me it goes to drivers front wheel)

It wasn't rocket surgery figuring this out though lol

I may need a few new rubber gaskets including this one, the valve cover.

On a positive note I added some bling;) And yes.....It is awesome and does make shifting easier.

Again guys/girls all input encouraged,
Chris

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Alright I got the car in time now with vag-com and it has so much more power and idle's so much better. also got my audi tt radio working.

Next steps are to:
-Install 034 solid trans mount (already have)
-check turbo actuator
-dlc764's
-tune
-install my tt seats I have sitting around(already have)
-egt gauge and boost gauge install (already have)
-and install coilovers (already have

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Allright I thought i'd give this thread an update. I have been averaging a 500miles a tank give or take a few which translates 39-40mpg.

That said my transmission just took a **** so i'll have to wait to get that fixed. The good news Is I ALWAYS have a back up car if I can so i'll be driving that for now (it needs some love too including drive shaft, control and alignment ;( ) until I get this back out on the road.

For your viewing pleasure here are some pictures:

Winter mode

New Guages from Guaged.ca Yes he can also customize them to say tdi, change redline etc

New shift boot to replace old flannel one. I got it from a facelift car so I had to swap material onto prefacelift body.

NO where near done or cleaned up but works for now

Ebay rs4 grille painted to mimic real one

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Thanks for asking, it's still **** for some reason. Currently i've been averaging 38mpg's.
For reference, see my fuelly below. Mine is a PD engine but still, awd does seem to eat up a lot more fuel especially city driving...

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
New Guages from Guaged.ca Yes he can also customize them to say tdi, change redline etc
What's the URL for that site with the gauge overlays? gauged.ca doesn't exist.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
For reference, see my fuelly below. Mine is a PD engine but still, awd does seem to eat up a lot more fuel especially city driving...
I don't do a lot of city driving within a tankful, but I have logged every single fillup in 2 years of ownership of my car covering over 54k km or almost 34k miles. I'm certainly beating even the notoriously optimistic European NEDC combined fuel economy figure of 6.0 L/100 km. I have only exceeded 7 L/100 km on a few (2?) tankfuls where it's mostly city driving. Very satisfied with the mileage, quattro and all. My tranny is an 01A also but has a 3.89 final drive. More details in the links in my sig.

Click to open larger version:

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have only exceeded 7 L/100 km on a few (2?) tankfuls where it's mostly city driving.
Ya, unfortunately I do at least 75% city driving which results in my 7.1l/100km average... I have achieved near 5l/100km on a couple of mostly highway tanks. This W8 conversion weighs at least 4000lbs too!

ryoneill

TDI
99.5 ALH
What are the specifics on the transmission? You touched on it briefly, but could you go into more detail?

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
What are the specifics on the transmission? You touched on it briefly, but could you go into more detail?

Car will not go into gear. When it's in nuetral it tries to move in reverse. Their is something bound badly inside. I need to get it fixed because my backup car needs work too :mad:

Rafedial1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
that's close roughly an hour from here in Vermilion. You did nice work on the conversion and would love to see this in person. If you are ever in a pinch and need a decent wrench guy, PM me. EDIT: kinda undersold myself...lol. I am a trained tech with lots of fab/weld and diesel experience. Beer is preferred payment. lol
-Cody

Last edited:

NeilO

TDI
01 Jetta
Awesome thread man, any updates? I'm thinking of doing the alh swap into a b5 A4 as well. Any advice? It doesn't look like you have any performance mods, do you still have good power? Did you use the 1.8t flywheel & stock trans?

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Rafedial: Thank you very much for the kind words and offering to help me work on it.

NeilO: Well I've driven the car 11k or so and it was driving absolutely awesome until I had a trans failure. My advice? well that depends on what you capable of. I'd be more than happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

It doesn't have any perfomance mods such as turbo etc but It does have 2" SMIC, mk6 or 7 IM, Race pipe, head studs, 11mm injection pump and in tank lift pump. I like doing those kinds of upgrades 1st especially on a swap. That way the ecu is happy and if anything goes wrong it's easy to diagnose as the engine is stock. However when one does decide to upgrade the benefit of even nozzles or vnt17 etc will be much greater than on stock set-up.

If you are still looking to build this swap you are welcome to buy mine:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=439144

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
A little update for everyone.

Since I have last posted I have done a lot of finishing work to the car.
Newly installed list:
rear calipers
rear Rotors
rear pads
new e-brake cables (adjusted perfectly even)
s4 avus wheels
newer hood latch
passat abs cover
proper airbox and cover
facelift battery tray cover
New euro transmission from frans
All new fluids
I've painted pretty much every square inch of under the car.
Jhm soild shifter bushings (these things are awesome
Land rover cup holder (if you own a b5 you'll understand
Removed door sills and took car of minor rust (new s line sills on the way:)
installed b5 s4 axle back

Things left to do:
-Install different radio
-Fab up downpipe or source one made for passat. I was going to go darkside but the UK lb just destroys the power of the dollar and I cannot justify that much for pipe.
-Wash, clay bar, wax
-re-route one vacuum line that's good but not ran clean enough for my liking.
-Figure out vw or audi engine cover emblem? Maybe it's not a huge deal for me though

Door sills repainted and looking good.

Engine bay coming along

More pictures to come so stay tuned;)

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Love the facelift engine bay trays! :thumbup: I want to be on the look out to add them to my car too. Is the driver's side tray found on either or both V6 or 1.8T? Can you give me P/Ns please? Thank you!