My Corrado G60 to AHU swap.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup (1.6 IDI), 1990 Corrado TDI, 2010 Audi A5
Noted, great information here. With the proper tools it took me about 30 seconds to pop the remaining injectors out, but I eased them back into place instead of finishing the swap as I had company showing up.

I'll finish this up tonight or Saturday and put the engine back in this weekend. getting so freaking close!

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Top preferences for tuners? I know G60ing has a Malone tune...

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Just dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket and found this- can't be good!

Any ideas what it is?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
New pictures I just took of the oil pump I pulled and disassembled:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered the Oil Pump from IDParts and a windage tray from FCPEuro (never heard of them but they are 20 minutes away from where I work and had it in stock with free shipping to my house, where I wouldnt have to pay sales tax! http://www.fcpeuro.com/)

Hopefully have the parts (and free time) by Wednesday.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Been somewhat bust rather than posting. Engine is in the car but nothing is hooked up. Hoping to do the CV joints, transmission fluid and most of the electrical connections tomorrow.

Got the radiator support welded up this week, as well as some tabs on the bumper rebar. Will post pictures when I can compare them.

Just finally assembled these on the kitchen table, should work great:

Tape with my name- tune from vwmikel (excellent price and communication, had the chip in the mail within 12 hours of payment) mk4 4 bar map, sensor pipe adapter and plug from IDParts... Need time to make progress but things are ramping at work after a lull!

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
with the oil pump/relief valve trashed, what do the rod and main bearings/journals look like?

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Holy wow, first time I've been on here on a PC in a while, sorry about that giant picture - fixed.

Thundershorts, between the bad cam and the oil pump, I would fathom a guess the that engine has seen some oil starvation. So my next thought is that they're not great. I'm going to cross my fingers that nothing catastrophic happens, run this and rebuild the engine that I have sitting in the garage.

My GF had company for the past two weeks which made it hard to spend time in the garage without being impolite. I got some time in there tonight and hope to have the car back on all four tomorrow and getting fluids in it.

I have my tune from VWMIKEL on hand and I just installed the chips in the ECU. Two stupid questions that I can't seem to find the answers to:
1) Do I need an MK4 N75 to run an MK4 MAP sensor? (I'm thinking no)
2) The MK4 MAP sensor goes as close to the intake as possible on the "cold" side, correct?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Holy wow, first time I've been on here on a PC in a while, sorry about that giant picture - fixed.

Thundershorts, between the bad cam and the oil pump, I would fathom a guess the that engine has seen some oil starvation. So my next thought is that they're not great. I'm going to cross my fingers that nothing catastrophic happens, run this and rebuild the engine that I have sitting in the garage.

My GF had company for the past two weeks which made it hard to spend time in the garage without being impolite. I got some time in there tonight and hope to have the car back on all four tomorrow and getting fluids in it.

I have my tune from VWMIKEL on hand and I just installed the chips in the ECU. Two stupid questions that I can't seem to find the answers to:
1) Do I need an MK4 N75 to run an MK4 MAP sensor? (I'm thinking no)
2) The MK4 MAP sensor goes as close to the intake as possible on the "cold" side, correct?
-You only need mk4 N75 if you are running a VNT turbo and tune.

-MAP sensor gets installed in boost pipe before intake manifold or in intercooler itself, some have mounted it to the intake manifold..

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
-You only need mk4 N75 if you are running a VNT turbo and tune.

-MAP sensor gets installed in boost pipe before intake manifold or in intercooler itself, some have mounted it to the intake manifold..
Ah, makes sense about the VNT.

I'll work it into the piping for the time being I think.

Got the CVs hooked back up today and the car is on all fours. I hate doing CV joints, always have. I'm putting the engine compartment back together and got side tracked thinking about how giant the single G60 radiator fan is. I went over to my storage and snagged the double Mk3 fan - its about 2" too short for the G60 Radiator length wise and 2" too tall, so I trimmed the bottom to the base of where the fans hook in and made adapters to extend it. I took some rust off the edges and painted it up, so that will be ready to go in in the morning as I get the other plumbing going.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Ah, makes sense about the VNT.

I'll work it into the piping for the time being I think.

Got the CVs hooked back up today and the car is on all fours. I hate doing CV joints, always have. I'm putting the engine compartment back together and got side tracked thinking about how giant the single G60 radiator fan is. I went over to my storage and snagged the double Mk3 fan - its about 2" too short for the G60 Radiator length wise and 2" too tall, so I trimmed the bottom to the base of where the fans hook in and made adapters to extend it. I took some rust off the edges and painted it up, so that will be ready to go in in the morning as I get the other plumbing going.
I do have a corrado dual fan u could have

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see how this one handles the but the mounting seems pretty solid.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Made reasonable progress today. Going to finish wiring the MAP sensor tomorrow (hopefully) and get the inter cooler piping plumbing finished this week.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Twist my arm then :D maybe as soon as I can drive the thing up there!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just threw the frame from a corrado / ecodiesel dual fan into the trash... the motor was bad and the bearing on the "slave" fan was bad too. Should I save it?

-J

GTiTDi

TDI
I just threw the frame from a corrado / ecodiesel dual fan into the trash... the motor was bad and the bearing on the "slave" fan was bad too. Should I save it?

-J
You were going to throw away classic vw parts??? Don't let Pod hear you say that!
If OP wants a corrado dual fan setup that is in mint working order he can have mine, I'm not too far away..

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Something is starting to make me thing you all doubt my fabrication abilities with my retrofitted mk3 fan ;) The change was a spur of the moment thing....

What I really need is a pipe bender... I'm having a hell of a time with my inter cooler piping!

GTiTDi

TDI
Something is starting to make me thing you all doubt my fabrication abilities with my retrofitted mk3 fan ;) The change was a spur of the moment thing....

What I really need is a pipe bender... I'm having a hell of a time with my inter cooler piping!
Not doubting your skills..trying to unload some dust collecting clutter! ;)

Sometimes cutting and re-welding the correct angles works too..mandrel benders are not cheap

Last edited:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Spent the evening struggling with some wiring - trying to get the lighting operational while waiting for my final intercooler bits to show up (plus the wiring should be easier w/o pipes in the way.)

This might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it because its not immediately apparent to me and I don't feel like pouring through the wiring diagrams. If I make sure that the TDI fan Module is hooked up, everything will keep working if I use the Corrado Lighting/Fan harness (yellow fuse box connectors A1, A2, and C), correct?

The wing doesn't work but I'll trouble shoot that later.

Oh, and my POS multimeter kicked the bucket, so I threw it away and bought a mid-range Fluke - just one of those things I've been procrastinating purchasing.

Need a driver side Fog light if anyone has one for a reasonable price :D

I'm sort of ADD right now, trying to jam to get this done.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I'm using the stock corrado a/c, fan and headlight harness in my car. Now I did have to add in the after-run fan relay (mounts on the fusebox, external to it) and I did have to add the after run temp sensor and wire. I believe the after-run switch and relay are apart of the G60 engine harness. On the G60 its mounts between the intake manifold's plenum and the valve cover. I mounted mine on the intake manifold with a small bracket that was from the G60.

I think the after-run relay is #31. Pay no attention to the aftermarket wire in the picture, I needed a switched power source from the same source that the 109 relay was on and since all OEM output locations were used I decided to tap into the relay instead of a wire.

The cool part about the a/c and fan wiring is that it follows the G60 wiring schematic so its straight forward for trouble shooting.

Good call on the multimeter, it will pay for itself every time you use it.

Update**after typing this in I'm fairly certain I didn't use the factory after-run relay. I think I had sold my harness and I dug thru a box of VW wiring until I found something that was acceptable. Who knows, I bet I will someday if the parts ever fail.

Also my fan cycles on and off in an annoying manner, I should modify the circuit so the fan runs for x number of minutes after turning on. I've not had any issues with my battery, fan or oil coking.

Last edited:

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Frank.

I'm going to go back at it tonight. The HID harness I have was questionable so I rang it out this AM and will borrow a multimeter tonight to try and get the wiring sorted.

baja_brewer

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't get out of work til late. Got these in the mail!

Last edited: