Swap completed, Power brakes failing

Sjstal

TDI
99/04 1.9L jetta
Hey fellas! I'm brand new to the forums, but I'm always reading what you all have to say about common questions. Back in May I totaled my 04 1.9L, and was extremely bummed about it I'm sure you can all relate.
About a month later I found a 1999 body with a gasser and automatic tranny in it. $300 I couldn't turn it down.

Anyone in their right mind would understand my desire for a tdi and 5 speed over a gasser and automatic. Being 17, and a girl, I brought the challenge upon myself to do a swap. Eventually I decided to trade over the luxuries as well as mechanics, swapping the ugly cloth black interior for my nice leather, heated seats, and power windows.

I gutted them both completely, began with rewiring, got my interior in, and finally set in my diesel and tranny. I'm constantly being doubted, taken anything but seriously and asked how I pulled it off without the help of "daddy" or anybody else, all I can say is a big thanks to all the members of the tdiclub, youtube, and the and the service manual that came with my tdi. 6 months later and I have my running, and legal jetta again.

Just deleted my ccv last night, and my last irritating as hell problem I'm trying to solve is my power brakes failing to work. I'm getting plenty of suction from my vacuum pump, and the brakes feel fine physically, but the response is extremely slow and would be inconvenient in a situation such as someone in front of me deciding to stop immediately or braking for a deer. Anybody who has had a common problem?

Thanks a bunch!

:)

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
First of all; you're awesome and have my deepest respect and admiration. Kids at take on this kind of stuff, despite all the obstacles, tend to do really well in life. What you've done is really impressive!

The brakes: they're connected to the clutch, same reservoir bottle as I'm sure you know. Did they get bled okay once it was all done?
Your description is a little vague on how the brakes aren't working. Are they just difficult to use, but the brake pedal feels fine, or is something going on with the pedal too?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get this all sorted soon. I'd need a little more info on how they don't work to offer more suggestions, but maybe someone else will chime in with the answer here. We'll also want pictures of the swap! Show it off; not many people have done what you did.

Have fun--

Andrew

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
Without actually being able to feel your brakes.....maybe a stuck slide pin on caliper bracket. Check all, front and rear. Oh and congrats on your accomplishment.