Brake Issue. Brake Booster?

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
'04 PD Golf. Couple of times recently the brakes seemed really soft. Pressed the brakes all the way and didn't want to stop at first. Happened while going slow in a parking lot, and while cruising on the highway (I needed a hard stop and was like 'oh crap'. I did stop, but it was not as fast as I needed). It's an intermittent problem. Most of the time, I stop! Just checked with an independent mechanic on the list and told me it's a 'Brake Booster" issue, my brake pads are fine. The brake pedal stops at half way and becomes stiff while I slowly slow down.

However, after searching there's no 'hissing sound' around my feet.

What is the brake booster? Is this a vacuum leak? The mechanic told me the pressure doesn't resume to normal level. I'll have better details when I get the paperwork. I just thought the pads needed changed.

I'm still under warranty.

Last edited:

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
You're still under warranty-let him change anything they want lol.

The bake booster is a vaccum operated assist that helps you appy the brakes. It gets its vaccum from the vaccum pump. It connects to the brake pedal via a ball-end rod and plastic clip. The master cylinder is attatched on the oter side.

Typically, when you loose vaccum, your brakes get near impossible to apply. Also, you get the hissing sound if it sticks part way.

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
The first thing I would check is the vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. These hoses are crap and are notorious for cracking and causing funky brakes.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
ecodean said:
The first thing I would check is the vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. These hoses are crap and are notorious for cracking and causing funky brakes.
Why? the car is under waranty. It's ncluded in the price of the new car. Why put a finger on it?

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Could be either water in brake fluid or need of bleeding if you've had any brake or clutch work lately. Both wouldn't be covered under warranty. Vacuum leak will cause a rock hard pedal.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
Canadian_Grizzly said:
Could be either water in brake fluid or need of bleeding if you've had any brake or clutch work lately. Both wouldn't be covered under warranty. Vacuum leak will cause a rock hard pedal.
I had my brake fluid changed December 06. The pedal becomes rock hard and it continues to brake very slowly.

Took it to the dealer, and the rep told me it's covered. I will find out later today what they come up with.

I appreciate all the responses!

-T

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sounds like the booster to me.

Usually a dead MC will make the pedal soft and drop to the floor.

Glad the dealer is covering it.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
LNXGUY said:
Sounds like the booster to me.

Usually a dead MC will make the pedal soft and drop to the floor.

Glad the dealer is covering it.
Yes, that was the cause. Hard pedal, slow stopping = Vacuum Feed line to brake booster was replaced, brakes now work excellent.

From Post #3, if the hoses are crap, is there an after-market upgrade that I could use in the future if this happens again?

(This had happened so gradually --till the end-- that I forgot how well the brakes are. My assumption was worn out pads--WRONG!)

now, if i could just get a comfortable seat :rolleyes: