60 MPG / 900 Mile Club / 1000 Mile Club

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
If you can keep that up it sounds like you'll be in like flint.

What I aim for is 300 miles for the first tick, and a hundred miles for every tick after that. So at 4/8ths I should be at 600 miles. If I can get that going I should be at or above 60mpg. At 60mpg 900 miles is no problem.

janthraxx

Veteran Member
Sheeyit. I haven't even hit 600 yet! Southern California is a B*itch for economy, especially the kind of SoCal I have to drive. Plus the strong desire to avoid D2 doesn't help...

Luckily, I'm going to Vegas (300 miles) on Wednesday, so I hope to far surpass 600 :)

Adam Neat

I just broke 900 miles and 60 mpg last week. Driving over a 2 week period. 905 miles and 14.97 gallons.
Car is an 02 Golf 4dr 5 speed. A little over 70000 miles on it.
Great car:D

Adam

Hot Georgia

Veteran Member
New 800 Mile Club

Howdy!
I can't post my car here cuz it's not a TDI..and it says non-TDI posts will be deleted/moved. :(

So I've started an 800 mile club over in the general automotive area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138735

I've began breaking 60MPG two tanks ago and with this third thought I'd open a new thread.

So come on! I hope you can post your works over there ;)

Last edited:

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think anyone will have problems with your posting this here. If you would like to compete in the mileage competition, we'll find a place for you there, as well, I'm sure.

We invited several Prius drivers a while back, we can take civic's, too. I'll warn you, there are a lot of hurt feelings toward hybrids here. Try not to take too much offense at those who really really hate all the attention hybrids get.

watercop

Veteran Member
I 2nd Dabooj's motion

Hot Ga - stick around here...no one minds the odd hybrid discussion here in the TDI economy section, and to be honest, most of us won't take the time to wander over to the general section for mpg news.

Try to avoid the 'our technology is better' battles between Hybrids and TDIs - each drivetrain has its strong points.

We like for mpg posts to be based on complete fills to the brim or multitank average or some other method to account for inevitable variations between individual tanks...no cherry picking!

Hot Georgia

Veteran Member
Thanks daBooj and watercop.

I'm aware of the battles and frankly think much of it is unnessessary.
I'm for any technology (And most techniques) which extends efficiency.

I've driven my car almost 70,000 miles with a lifetime average just over 61MPG, Distance traveled / gallons used method.
Always filled past click-off. I think is the most accurate way to measure.

My drive is non-typical.
I work nights and commute 97 miles/day from rural N. Ga into Atlanta city limits. So at 5:00PM most are trying to leave the city, I'm on the freeway inbound.
At 2:00AM I'm going back home again on nearly abandoned roads.
I exit the freeway 1/2 way home onto rural highway where I can apply maximum efficiency without anyone else to bother with.

That should help explain why I get 60's MPG while most average just under 50 in the same vehicle.
The car is also used for family excursions, taking kids to school, store etc.

Where do I find the mileage competition?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Yeah, I say hybrid drivers are good... ;)

Everyone be nice to the guy with the Honda. :D (hint for Hot Georgia: stay FAR away from VWvortex - Hondas are hated there. ;))

Of course, I'd like to see a diesel hybrid - just to see how it does - but like that's gonna happen in the US... :rolleyes:

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Okay, it's not quite 900 or 1000 miles, but for the first time I reached 800 miles on one tank in my '97 Passat TDI sedan. After 1½ weeks of driving with absolutely no concern to fuel economy -- i.e. lots of hill climbing, brisk acceleration, stop-and-go traffic, A/C or open windows, and 80-90 MPH highway cruising -- this is how the gauges looked as soon as I reached 800 miles today:

The fuel gauge indicated just shy of 1 gallon left in the non-vented 18.5-gallon tank. The exact mileage at fill-up was 802.3 miles:

And here's what the Shell Premium Diesel pump said, after letting it click off automatically and then briefly topping off to the nearest dollar (I didn't have to pay for that extra 1¢ of fuel :p):

802.3 miles ÷ 17.677 gallons = 45.4 MPG :)

Yes, that's nothing spectacular for a B4 Passat TDI, but considering its EPA highway rating of 47 MPG and the way I drove it, I say that's right on target -- and certainly better than what a Pious... er, Prius owner would get in the same conditions. :D

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Ok, I am trying for four in a row, this is where I am at so far this year:

From the 19th May to:
12th June 2006 1002 miles 15.99 USgal 62.70 mpUSg
7th July 2006 1004 miles 15.80 USgal 63.55 mpUSg
4th August 2006 1023 miles 16.09 USgal 63.60 mpUSg

I'll probably hit the refill point this Thursday or Friday.

cheers

Hot Georgia

Veteran Member
I'm going for my 1st 1,000 mile tank. The closest I've ever came was only 17 miles off last June!
I'm just over 700 miles and still have a little under 1/2 tank left. My fuel gauge is divided into 20 segments or "Bars" and I have 9 left. My dash gauge shows 71.2MPG which in real life should calculate around 73.

Anyway please wish me luck, only have a couple tanks left until the cooler weather sets in. I really want this bad.
-Steve

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Hot Georgia said:
I'm going for my 1st 1,000 mile tank. The closest I've ever came was only 17 miles off last June!
I'm just over 700 miles and still have a little under 1/2 tank left. My fuel gauge is divided into 20 segments or "Bars" and I have 9 left. My dash gauge shows 71.2MPG which in real life should calculate around 73.

Anyway please wish me luck, only have a couple tanks left until the cooler weather sets in. I really want this bad.
-Steve
__. It's only a number. But it feels *really good*! :D GFI!!!!

EvilBunny

TDI
85 jetta n/a DEZ(RIP) 03 Golf TDi(RIP), 02 Tdi5spd(RIP), 1984 GLi 20vBT, 85 westy golf(ALH BTswap), 06 M3(RIP), 2013 335is, 2010 690 duke(rip)
i went from sterling va to chicago illinois weekend before last. i left at 1am. stopped at a nice hidden fuel stop , loade dup with 47cetane. a bottle of standadyne conditioner and power. with a fuel 15 gallons i amde it to chicago(711miles), picked up a friend got a car. then drove about 100 miles more. when i stopped for fuel i had 831 miles and filled up 13.86 gallons. my average speed was about 60-63 mph. i wa sin my 85 jetta diesel-NON-turbo :)

59.95mpg. i had 6 wheels and tyres( we were pickin up a rabbit, gotta be prepared), 85% of my tools. a large cooler filled. spare parts, clothing, a boombox, some manuals, a jack, 4 jack stands,my laptop, and a few misc.items.

not too bad for 280k+ i jsut did an oil change the day before using castrol diesel truck 15w-40 oil. i ran out of my elf and have no money to order enough. i also just did a new fuel filter and a fresh airfilter.

yay for my junker MKII!!

this is in WV on the way back

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Hot Georgia said:
I'm going for my 1st 1,000 mile tank.
-Steve
Absolutely, All the best. This is the time of year for some good MPG's.

I have passed the 800 mile point on this tank and the guage is reading +/- a quarter full. That ought to get me to 900 before the low fuel chime, and if so, another 1000 mile tank is in the bag.
In fact I feel real good about this tank, it could be easily over the 1000, but maybe I'm getting too cocky!

Keep the wind at your back.
cheers.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Got 51.2 mpg just this past week

Filled up right before a trip to Buffalo for a buffalo bills game - went in a caravan with 3 other cars - was either car #2, 3, or 4 the entire way there (about 100 miles). Did not have any "helper car" on the way back.

Drove some friends around in and out of my area the next day after getting back, and then filled up - calculated it to 51.2 mpg, which is the best I've ever done :D. I normally get anywhere from 42 to 48 depending on trip types, A/C on or off, etc.

Things that I think helped:

1 - No A/C
2 - Medium draft ( meaning wasn't really trying but did get some help )
3 - Cruise control was on for almost the entire time
4 - didn't have to speed up or slow down much of the way

What I've noticed is that if you do #'s 1 and 3 for long distances, it really helps out immensely.

Bills lost on the last play of the game ( pre-season ) - I think it's going to be a long season for the wrong reasons. Bright spot - '85 bears went 0-4 in the pre-season and then went 15-1 - I can dream right ? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that with #1 and #3 I could easily crack 600 and maybe the 700 mile club. 51.2 for 13.5 gallons = 691.2 miles. I would have done even better if I hadn't been driving some people around the town the next day.

My fuel tank is only 13.5 gallons if I remember correctly - can someone invent a consistent scale for this stuff - if I had a 18.5 gallon tank, I probably could crack 1000, but it would be close ( calc says 947.2 max ).

Last edited:

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
brucetmoose said:
My fuel tank is only 13.5 gallons if I remember correctly - can someone invent a consistent scale for this stuff - if I had a 18.5 gallon tank, I probably could crack 1000, but it would be close ( calc says 947.2 max ).
Nope...the "official" figure is 14.5, but if you remove the vent guts in the filler neck, you can easily get about 17 in there.

Mike

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i recently came close. 57.4 mpgs in my PD jetta.. but at that point all i was doing was shorter trips 8-40 mile round trips and about to take a longer drive so i filled up at 776 miles, 13.52 gallons (filled to the brim of brims).. to start with a clean slate. expect to make the "official" 900 club shortly as i'm taking an 1800 trip soon, plan on trying to drive at 60mph :/ heheh.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
btw, I will be handing out the stickers I made up for qualified members of the 1,000 mile per tank, 60mpg club while I'm at the TDIfest. Be sure to find me if you want one. I would post a picture, but I don't have one. They're simple and small. White text on black background.

EvilBunny

TDI
85 jetta n/a DEZ(RIP) 03 Golf TDi(RIP), 02 Tdi5spd(RIP), 1984 GLi 20vBT, 85 westy golf(ALH BTswap), 06 M3(RIP), 2013 335is, 2010 690 duke(rip)
bhtooefr said:
13.86?

You had another 1.74 gallons to go. :D

i know!!lol. my n/a may be slow..but it does alright as far as fuel distance.

MantyTDI

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GLS TDI
I just got into the 900 mile club today. Finally ran it low enough that the low fuel light came on with 888 miles on the tank, filled up at 902 with 15.055 gallons of BP Premier vented to fill to the brim. I've gotten better MPGs before but only had 4-500 miles before I filled up.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a good canidate for the 1,000 mile club, then. If you only put 15 gallons in the tank, you can do it. You can join the 1337 crowd of 1,000 mile per tank-ers here. Especially if you say you've done better as far as economy goes.

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I could have made the 900 mile club.

I went to Florida with my parents. They were driving an 01 Dodge Cummins Diesel with a 24' camper. I followed closely. :) The car was loaded with luggage and a 104 lb passenger (girlfriend). Speeds ranging from 60-80 mph.

I filled up when they filled up (every 300 miles). I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but I know that I had 2 tanks just over 59 mpg. I wish I would have pushed it and filled up when I needed to instead of when they needed to.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Four in a row. :)

From the 19th May to:
12th June 2006 1002 miles 15.99 USgal 62.70 mpUSg
7th July 2006 1004 miles 15.80 USgal 63.55 mpUSg
4th August 2006 1023 miles 16.09 USgal 63.60 mpUSg
5th September 2006 1041 miles 16.44 USgal 63.3 mpUSg

cheers

MantyTDI

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GLS TDI
daBooj said:
Sounds like a good canidate for the 1,000 mile club, then. If you only put 15 gallons in the tank, you can do it. You can join the 1337 crowd of 1,000 mile per tank-ers here. Especially if you say you've done better as far as economy goes.
I was going to keep going but I havent had the car very long and Im still getting to know exactly how much fuel is left at certain points thats why I filled up right after the low fuel light. I'll push it further this tank but it will probably be at less miles because my commute is only 13 miles each way now. I broke 60 mpgs earlier this summer, driving only highway at 55mph, netted me 62.x mpg.