Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series 1981 300TD Turbo Diesel

organicfuel

TDI
Golf TDI, 2000, Blue
I noticed this car for sale on EBAY, and would like to know if it is possible to run on Bio-Diesel. Also it has 243000 Miles on. Does anyone know how long it might last? I am looking for a cheap solution to run a vehicle on Bio-Diesel so I can get rid of my gas Jeep.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
organic, is this a 300TD (wagon) or just a 300D (sedan)?

These beasts tend to rust, but depending upon its location, it might not be too bad. Yes, it will run without a problem on BD. I would strongly suggest a compression check before laying out any $$. Having owned Benz diesels, I can tell you they can and will nickel and dime you to death just like any other hi mileage European car. If you are not a perfectionist, this will be less of an issue since these cars can provide many miles of excellent service.

BiodieselCleveOH

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Silver
Organic, a Mercedes can definitely cost you $$ in maintenance. I've had 3 of them over the years and can attest to the longevity and comfort, but there's no such thing as a cheap part or cheap repair. I have a 1981 VW Diesel pickup going up for sale in a week or two with 106K on it. It's a New Mexico truck, engine & tranny rebuilt at 85K, lots of new parts. Good value for $1500. It's been running just fine on biodiesel for the last year.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
A totally beat, low in the back(bad air suspension)
messed up bumper
300TD wagon passed me on I95 in Saugus MA yesterday.
Car was moving along at a surprising clip with no smoke!

Parts are reasonable.....but parts break after 20+ years that last the life of mere mortal cars (trans mounts/heater fans/seat springs etc)
RUST is main killer of these cars- car can be rusted totally yet still have doors that shut perfectly!!!

Restored 1972 220 sedan to daily driver last summer email me to talk older MBz cars!!!

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, maroon (gone but not forgotten), 2002 Passat GLX v-6 Manual
I believe the rear suspension on the W123 chassis MB is hydraulic, not air. Very prone to failure nonetheless, and one of the first things you want to check out...along with the vast vacuum system that controls everything from door locks to brakes.

flatfour

I believe just the wagons have the rear hydraulic suspension as a load assist/height adjust.I have an 81 sedan that runs fine with 245,000.Realistically I wouldn't want to depend on any car from the early 80's for daily transport.Later cars are more dependable in design almost irreguardless of mileage.Just my humble opinion of course.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
Well the one I saw was hauling ace.....even in its obvious state of disregard and disrepair! (not one you want!)

I want stickshift gasser 220/115chassis

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
I own an '85 300TD wagon. It is possible to run these cars on biodiesel. If you go above B20 you need to switch your fuel lines to Viton synthetic rubber, as well as the little hoses between the injectors, and the rubber parts near the fuel filler. Larry

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
If you go above B20 you need to switch your fuel lines to Viton synthetic rubber, as well as the little hoses between the injectors, and the rubber parts near the fuel filler.
The Wise Man will always <font color="red">upgrade</font> to viton when running bioDiesel...whether running a 300TD, a 300D, an E300D or a TDI...it's always prudent.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
We upgraded our gasser's fuel line to new tubing/new hose-
things tend to gum up over the years.

Hose and stuff like that are consumables anyway- after 30 years gets fragile!