Am I doing this right?

Izzymaestro

TDI
2015 GOLF S TDi
So after 9 years of planning and heavy, heavy research and comparison, I recently bought my first TDI. 2015 Golf mk7SE (NA) 2.0 TDI

I've just crested the 1k mile mark and i'm averaging about 56 mpg on freeway runs and about 32 on my stop and go daily commute. I've been careful during break in to keep steady rpm, every once in a while opening up a bit to 4500.

I read alot of posts saying 45-52 mpg averages and 70+ on long runs.. do i just have to wait or is that tuner chip really worth it?

any TDI help is mucho appreciado

CUinLA

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I'm driving the same car....just passed ~4500 miles in 4.5 months. I average 45-50 for my daily commute of mixed city/suburban driving, when traffic conditions are ideal, I edge up to 52-53.

I get around 55 for 1.5 hr + long drives at 70 mph, but I have not personally broken the 55 barrier. Dunno if it's my driving style, distances, or what....

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I don't know anyone getting 70mpg+ in and VW diesel. 60-ish lifetime is on the high end. Recheck your EPA ratings and be happy with anything better.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I've just crested the 1k mile mark and i'm averaging about 56 mpg on freeway runs and about 32 on my stop and go daily commute. I've been careful during break in to keep steady rpm, every once in a while opening up a bit to 4500.
Your car won't be broken in until about 120,000 miles driving it like that... Go drive it; vary the RPM, keep it in boost, and have some fun. That will break it in properly :D;)

Izzymaestro

TDI
2015 GOLF S TDi
Thanks guys! I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't getting anything out of the ordinary. Love my new Deez and I'm already seeing increased efficiency now that I'm going more skitzo on the RPM. (It is hella more fun too!) probably averaging about 36/55 minus the ridiculous crawl through LA lately...

Oh and how much am I laughing now that D2 is cheaper than 87 Octane where i am? I feel like a genius :D

Last edited:

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I always knew things were strange in la-la land, but this???
Cheers,
PH
Depends on the station, but I've noticed this at quite a few places lately.

metzger

TDI
01 Jetta, 10 A3, 14 IS350F
Didn't realize the new Golf's were doing so well. That's up there with my MKIV. I thought those days were gone. :p

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
No kidding. I can average 52-54 but 55+ only happens with a major tail wind and would never happen other wise.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Not sure if you're going to get 70mph in a CR, but maybe the new engine can turn it out. Further I would expect for the most part a lifetime average around 50mpg at the high end unless you live in a very mild climate and have a high ratio of highway mileage. But then again the new engine is suppose to be more fuel efficient.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I think he meant 55mpg at 70mph. Even that is on the very high end though. Some can achieve, but not all/most. Average of 45-52mpg is more reasonable depending on driving conditions/style/distance. Still on the high end if you check fuelly, but definitely doable.