Recommended Timing Belt Replacement

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
Hi, I wanted to ask you this because my one friend, whom I bought my Jetta, got me paranoid because his dealer told him that he needed to change his belt at 60k miles, which he did. The manual recommends it at 80k. I am nearing 120k and would like to know if the dealer was just trying to make a couple extra bucks or are there issues with the belt prior to 80k?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Hi, I wanted to ask you this (snip)
__. Use the "search" feature. There are a number of very complete writeups on this. As in many things in life, the true answer to your original question is "it depends!"
'

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
A 2002 more than likely wasn't due until 80,000 miles. It's hard to say what parts they used and what they actually replaced. You should be good for awhile but as mrgutwrench said it depends.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
As MetalMan said, your 2002 was built with components rated at 80,000 miles in the timing belt system.

Unless you can find the receipt for the TB job performed at 60k and let us know exactly what parts were changed (with part numbers, please!!), we can't offer an opinion on whether the dealer used the correct replacement parts or the "old" ones that came on the 2001-and-older...

038 109 119 M is the part number for the "new" belt... any other letter as suffix and you've got the 60k (40k if automatic) belt...

038 109 243 N is the p/n for the tensioner... again, the "N" is important...

I'd love to know what other parts were replaced... see if you can dig out the receipt... (compare with the parts listed at MM's website: www.metalmanparts.com )

Yuri.