HPFP Failure in V6 TDI, or only in 2.0 CR?

packley

TDI
2007 Touareg V10
TReg TDI 3l failure

no new info? My 2011 3l TDI Touareg (24,000 miles) has had major hpfp failure and VW is stating algae in fuel (contamination) and will not honor warranty!! +$10,000 repair
Any advice and history on this situation

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Packley: Which dealer? I've found Stohlman (Jack Smith, SA) to be quite reasonable, also Marten's. They know of this issue with the CR Jetta.

Mark Dreyer

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
HPFP failure 2010 TDI

My Touareg TDI with 84,000 miles died on I-95 in Georgia this past Memorial Day. It was towed to Tom Bush VW in Jacksonville and the outcome is there was a HPFP failure resulting in need to replace injectors, fuel lines, etc. Bottom line, VW is doing the job no charge as a goodwill gesture. I have an 100,000 mile extended warranty with Fidelity, but VW is doing the job without going through Fidelity. Needless to say I am quite pleased with how this is being handled. My question is if there have been any improvements to the design of the fuel pumps to prevent a repeat in the future? I was told that the value of this job is $13k, so am hoping not to have a repeat. I love the Touareg. It has been very reliable and drives like a dream. I hope to keep it for many more miles.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
I'm not sure if this counts or not because I'm not sure of all the details. The only information I have is from some quick text messages. Friend of mine bought a 2013 Touareg TDI. Around 19,000 miles they got the pigtailed glow plug light (which is used by VW for more reasons than just the glow plug) and the car went into limp mode. First a week in the shop and then a month in the shop. My friend says the fuel pump went out and he was afraid the rest of the fuel system was contaminated so he pushed for a new car. His travails are listed here www.vwtouaregtdi.com

I'm pretty sure he put that together to push back against the dealer. In the blog he says he would not recommend the car to anyone else, but he just picked up a new Touareg R-Line TDI. Dealer gave him 1500 under invoice and the max on his trade-in. VoA kicked in $6,000.00.

I can't connect the glow plug light to one of the fuel pumps, but my friend says that was what was wrong. As I said I know no details, but will amend this post when I get some.

He blames quality of US fuel. He did not use an additive, but is doing so with the new one.

Disclosure, my 2011 has 92,000 miles and I've had to replace a NOx sensor. About 10,000 miles ago my glow plug light came on and car went into limp mode. I turned off the motor, re-started and all was well and has been since. I marked that one down to some strange code that got thrown that the car didn't like. I've always used an additive.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Wensteph,

Think your use of high ash engine oils had anything to do with the sensor going out? Is that a big ticket item to replace?

Thanks,

TS

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
I don't know. I couldn't make a case either way. I think it had 42-43K on it when it went out. In that time I had 5600 miles on the factory fill, 3700 miles on a 507 LiquiMoly and 3500 miles on 507 Fuchs. The non 507 oils probably had 1.0 - 1.5% SAPS.

VW paid for the part and I paid for the labor. I had some normal PM done at the same time, but IIRC replacing the NOx sensor is a mid 3 figure job.

Edited to add that I thought the accepted consensus was that the requirement of a .05 - .08% low SAPS oil is to delay the eventual blocking of the DPF. I haven't read anything mentioning protection of the other downstream emission devices.

I just think these are very complicated powertrains and things occasionally break.

Last edited: