MKIV Seat Options 2 different Cloth Options?

rgshredder

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I need some help figuring out what the different seat options were offered for MKIV Golfs and Jetta TDI's

Here are the options that I know exist:
Leather

Cloth (similar to carpet...thicker material/leaves vacuum streaks, act as lint brushes)

Sheen/sports cloth: I don't know what this is called, velour? but it's a thinner material that, when vacuumed, doesn't leave streaks and doesn't collect lint.

Does anyone know that specific fabric names with respect to the cloth vs. sport cloth? I'm looking for a specific type of TDI that I want to buy and it's difficult trying to determine what types of seats they are without physically looking at it (relying on pics for now)...it's also difficult to describe the differences with the 2 cloth seats.

Does anyone know what years or models (GL vs GLS) that these seats were included?

I like the sheen sports cloth seat, but am having trouble finding it in 2003 MKIV...I thought they were only offered in 2001 but I just found a 2002 that has them...not a TDI but whatever....

okay thanks for reading

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Here's what I know (take it for what it's worth): for cloth in a mk4, we can get GL cloth (standard fabric weave), GLS mouse fur (lint traps), Wolfsburg cloth.

Given that most TDI's are GLS, you're likely to find either the mouse fur or leather. No worries though, swapping the covers isn't that difficult.

The man that could answer your question with absolute certainty isn't really an active member anymore.

Last edited:

Krusshall

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
GL models have the cloth fabric seats (like a tablecloth).
GLS models have the cloth velour seats (thicker pile, softer to the touch, some describe it as mouse fur).
I think this was for all model years 99.5 to 2003. I don't know about 2004 to 2005.
2001 Wolfsburg Edition had different "sport" seats which had more side bolster and had more of a woven cloth material.

rgshredder

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
didn't know about the wolfburg cloth...anyone got pics of the GL and wolfburg cloth varieties? I'll scour the net and post'em if I find 'em...

thanks for clearing this up for me

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
There are also Recaros--those have some sort of super hybrid cloth/leather/superhero makeup that allow them to be so comfortable and supportive at the same time ;).

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
If it helps at all, I have an 05 golf GLS which has the non-mouse-fur seats. IIRC all 04+ (PD engined) jetta/golfs had only 2 choices, fabric or leather, and all of the fabric seats were the smooth ones that don't attract lint.