Connecticut TDI owners roll call

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Put your first name and vehicle ( if it’s not listed on your profile )

Anyone with experience remove replace seals on the mk3 TDI Injection Pump ??
I’m looking to make a nice step by step video of this, for sharing with all the TDI owners here on TDI club and the internet.

Timmasonjr

TDI
03 golf tdi 205k
Tim here in Hebron. Have a 03 golf. I’ve never replaced seals but I have changed pumps out 3 times. I also Have the tool to open the IP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
John down on the gold coast.

When the pump leaked on my 97 Passat, I had it replaced altogether. It wasn't cheap. On the other hand, my mpg's rebounded from 35 to 45 overnight! Sometimes I miss that car and its relative simplicity...

Good luck with your seals.

dieselnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 JETTA, 2002 JETTA 2003 JETTA
Al in Ashford. I've replaced the top, head and the front seals at different times. I run WVO and it is hard on seals. What seals are you leaking from?

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys!
Al in Ashford. I've replaced the top, head and the front seals at different times. I run WVO and it is hard on seals. What seals are you leaking from?
For real, I don’t rememver which seals are called what!

Is there a good diagram online with labels ? Or I can do another search, yet last time I did a search for that I got confused, they show diagrams without labels and about 5 different versions of the pump depending on if you have AC it’s supposedly larger?

dieselnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 JETTA, 2002 JETTA 2003 JETTA
I have the ALH motor. I believe we have the same pump. If you like we can get together and compare since we are so close. Send me a PM.

Last edited:

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
If somebody could draw on the picture of the pump above and indicate where are the top, head, and front seals, that’s be great.
I think there’s some O-ring seals for the four hard lines out to the injectors.
Any other seals?

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Pete in Ellington.

New owner of fixed '11 JSW MT.

Particularly interested in talking to other "fixed" owners regarding future emissions inspections.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If somebody could draw on the picture of the pump above and indicate where are the top, head, and front seals, that’s be great.
I think there’s some O-ring seals for the four hard lines out to the injectors.
Any other seals?
Not drawing any pictures, but the seals that are usually the culprits are as follows. If you look at the pump you will see four major parts: a. The Cover, b. The Quantity Adjuster under it, c. The Pump Body under the QA, and d. The Head with the fuel lines attached to it. There is a seal between the Cover and the QA, one between the QA and the Body, and one between the Body and the Head. They can be replaced without removing the pump from the car if you are VERY careful. HERE is how it is done. As Tim in Hebron said, there is a special tool needed to remove the triangular headed bolt.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Pete in Ellington.

New owner of fixed '11 JSW MT.

Particularly interested in talking to other "fixed" owners regarding future emissions inspections.
What does this have to do with the OP's question about IP seals? Why not start your own thread in the appropriate Forum.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
The title of the thread was Ct TDI owners roll call.

Being a Ct owner of a tdi I responded to it. Interested in talking to fellow CT TDI owners about Ct emissions tests.

gutts

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
Dave
Higganum ! ( just south of Middletown)
2002 gls 5 speed
1999.5 5 speed UTE !
There is a nice car show at the Haddam Meadows in Haddam on the Ct river coming up July 14th . I will have my Ute there . Great venue . Mini GTG ??

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi gutts, I'm sorry I missed your post about the Haddam Meadows car show on July 14th. I think the forum isnt sending me notifications of replies to threads I'm on. I would've definitely gone to get together with you and whoever else from tidclub showed up!

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump! I'm still VERY interested in filming an AHU injection pump step by step seal replacement video, plus a step-by-step timing belt replacement (after belt failed while driving! see this thread for details: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=500602 ) video, both for youtube, with help from one or two CT tdiclub members!

Please reach out here on this thread, with city you're located in, and when you would be free to come to Hartford and be part of the effort to record replacing the injection pump seals and the T belt! Also, please PM your contact info!

Last edited:

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Bump! I'm still VERY interested in filming an AHU injection pump step by step seal replacement video, plus a step-by-step timing belt replacement (after belt failed while driving! see this thread for details: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=500602 ) video, both for youtube, with help from one or two CT tdiclub members!

Please reach out here on this thread, with city you're located in, and when you would be free to come to Hartford and be part of the effort to record replacing the injection pump seals and the T belt! Also, please PM your contact info!
Darn too bad I saw this a year late! I've got a shop in East Windsor and plenty of AV equipment plus all the tools and knowledge to do what you wanted.

I'm building a hot rod TDI (ahu/alh hybrid) for my 87 Scirocco starting very soon. When the covid stuff gets better would the CT and other locals want to organize some kind of get together monthly/bi monthly or something like that? I've got a great place to get together and I'm willing to teach what I know and learn from others as I build the engine, do the wiring, etc for the swap. Hopefully by next summer things will be better for social things.

I also plan to build a lemons car (or some kind of race car) someday and if anyone is interested in getting a team together I've got a great spot for a home base and a shop with every tool except a lift.

If there is enough interest we could start a new thread too.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Darn too bad I saw this a year late! I've got a shop in East Windsor and plenty of AV equipment plus all the tools and knowledge to do what you wanted.

I'm building a hot rod TDI (ahu/alh hybrid) for my 87 Scirocco starting very soon. When the covid stuff gets better would the CT and other locals want to organize some kind of get together monthly/bi monthly or something like that? I've got a great place to get together and I'm willing to teach what I know and learn from others as I build the engine, do the wiring, etc for the swap. Hopefully by next summer things will be better for social things.

I also plan to build a lemons car (or some kind of race car) someday and if anyone is interested in getting a team together I've got a great spot for a home base and a shop with every tool except a lift.

If there is enough interest we could start a new thread too.
Great news, I haven’t done the pump seals yet. PM me your contact info. I’m able to bring the pump there, with cameras, and we can record the seal replacement video!

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Awesome! I'm going to be super busy for a few weeks cause I do lawn care and it's leaf season but after that I'll have plenty of time. I have to do a major shop cleanup too as it gets messy over the summer when I'm working. I'll lyk as soon as I'm free probably end of this month or early December depending on how long the trees hold their leaves.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Being in the Manchester area, I’d be more than happy to bring some CT Valley brews and wrench on stuff. I miss the FSAE group and building a racecar back in college.

Hell, if you have a shop @TooRoundTDI I’d even pay to rent your lift once or twice a year.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Awesome! I'm going to be super busy for a few weeks cause I do lawn care and it's leaf season but after that I'll have plenty of time. I have to do a major shop cleanup too as it gets messy over the summer when I'm working. I'll lyk as soon as I'm free probably end of this month or early December depending on how long the trees hold their leaves.
Hey Tim!

Seems like most of the leaves are down in CT. So when is this shindig going to happen?

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Hey, I'm now in the Northeast corner. Anyone know of a good wheel repair shop? I hit a 4x4 yesterday (managed to miss the other 5 pieces in the middle of the road) and it bent my 18" rim. Need to get it fixed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Hey, I'm now in the Northeast corner. Anyone know of a good wheel repair shop? I hit a 4x4 yesterday (managed to miss the other 5 pieces in the middle of the road) and it bent my 18" rim. Need to get it fixed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Depending on how badly it is bent, it might be less expensive to get a used wheel...

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Being in the Manchester area, I’d be more than happy to bring some CT Valley brews and wrench on stuff. I miss the FSAE group and building a racecar back in college.

Hell, if you have a shop @TooRoundTDI I’d even pay to rent your lift once or twice a year.
Unfortunately the only thing I don't have is a lift since the building isn't high enough. I've got pretty much every other tool though plus heat and a/c. I'm down for wrenching gtgs especially in the winter when I have more free time. My buddy and I were thinking maybe a few hours on Sundays.

Hey Tim!

Seems like most of the leaves are down in CT. So when is this shindig going to happen?
Hey Dave! Shindig would be next summer or fall probably. Spring is pretty busy and I'd want to do good weather so people can hang out outside and camp overnight. Where are you living these days? I'm going to be building my AHU pretty soon if you're local and want to hang. I'd love to see you, it's been so long!

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
In CT? The wheel shop I use is in Windsor Locks and it's called The Wheel Shop. They unbent one of my wheels recently for $60 or 80 and did a great job.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Thanks TooRound. I'll check them out. The wheel is an OW69989, 18". If I can't fix it I think I'll try and find some nice 17's to throw on my GSW.

JettaJeff72

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Hi all, I will be returning to the VW world hopefully tomorrow when I pick up a tornado red 2012 JSW with DSG. I haven't owned a VW since I got rid of my 1997 Jetta back in 2004.

EDIT: Brought my JSW home on Saturday and loving it.

Last edited: