Golf mk4 1.9 tdi straight pipe

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
I am thinking about straight piping it. I am thinking about a 4" stainless steel pipe. Should i go with a 4" or 3". Should i buy a downpipe( if yes, what is a good website or brand) and build the rest or should i do the whole thing . Now for the vrt i was thinking to put a muffler and then remove it or is there a good muffler /resonator that i can put forever that remove the smoke that will be emmitted and and can still hear the turbo working.
Thanks

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Why? 3" is 400 plus bhp teritory and 4" is up to 600... You think you'll ever be near that?

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
is there a good muffler /resonator that i can put forever that remove the smoke that will be emmitted
There is a muffler called DPF that removes the smoke but you need to change it when ash load has reached the max limit.
You should definitely go for at least 4". Personally I would prefer 6" for mk4.

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
Why? 3" is 400 plus bhp teritory and 4" is up to 600... You think you'll ever be near that?
I am not thinking how much power the exhaust will be able to handle. I want the best size for sound. i love to hear the turbo and the angry diesel engine

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
There is a muffler called DPF that removes the smoke but you need to change it when ash load has reached the max limit.
You should definitely go for at least 4". Personally I would prefer 6" for mk4.
how much power do you make?. did you make it yourself? what is good website for buying parts?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Maybe put a blow off valve on it too while you’re at it. My 5.9 came stock with 3.5” double walled exhaust so basically 3” by the way.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I have been looking at exhaust myself and found this thread. I want quiet and power increase while I have a VNT17 so I find difficulties getting sound bites.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=178652
Started looking at the thread after posting it here then followed the link mentioned in the signature of FixuntilBroke you really need to look at it!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=172943
Then I find this in another thread asking the same thing.

I wouldn't worry much about the installation difficulty unless you plan on R&R'ing it every other weekend. The downpipe is the only tricky part - the rest is easy.

The larger you go in size the louder it will be. If you're concerned about noise, put two mufflers in - one where the cat used to be and one in the back where the OEM one was.

2.5" is more than sufficient for most anything in my opinion, 3" will cover any possible thing you could do to your car under 300HP. I would not recommend going 4" like it did (see signature). Not that it won't work, just that it's completely unecessary and a HUGE ammount of work.

400 series is fine for diesel exhaust - yes it turns brown, but does not corrode at any significant rate to be a problem in the next decade or more. If you want it to be shiny and mirror like under your car, then get 300 series.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
You’re really not going to increase power as much as reduce EGT with larger exhaust. 2.5” straight pipe from the down pipe back really is not as loud as you think.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I am running a 2.5" straight pipe with a nice custom down pipe from HPA Motorsports. Mine sounds great and the turbo whine is so noticeable, it sounds like a cummins only smaller!

The exhaust makes a loud roar/bark when I start the car but as soon at the turbo starts to spin the sound quiets and the turbo whine comes through.

It is a little droney when cruising down the highway but pretty quiet around town.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
just pull the downpipe off

you'll hear the ungodly shriek that is the stock turbo even at idle

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
nah, mine goes out the front fender and even running a pretty clean tune the side of the car's black after a few thousand miles, although I don't wash my cars ever

hate to see what it'd do to a windshield

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I like the shop boots

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
do you at least have a woodburner in your ice shanty and hunting tent?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You’re really not going to increase power as much as reduce EGT with larger exhaust. 2.5” straight pipe from the down pipe back really is not as loud as you think.
I understand, I'm replacing the OEM gasser exhaust with a 2.5" for $200 and I have a lot of other mods which this is supporting and anything larger isn't beneficial whatsoever. Debating straight pipe, or performance muffler. I think I will start with the first as funds are limited for desires. The VNT17 shouldn't whistle too much.
I believe that the OP is looking for sound more than anything.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I am running a 2.5" straight pipe with a nice custom down pipe from HPA Motorsports. Mine sounds great and the turbo whine is so noticeable, it sounds like a cummins only smaller!

The exhaust makes a loud roar/bark when I start the car but as soon at the turbo starts to spin the sound quiets and the turbo whine comes through.

It is a little droney when cruising down the highway but pretty quiet around town.
Where does your exhaust stop and at what angle?
Can we get a sound clip?