Thread for Runonbeer (Robby in Austin)

Blacktide01

TDI
2002 Jetta
Robby did an auto to manual conversion along with. A number of other odds and ends. I've driven almost 3k miles in it in less than a month...not a single issue.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Tie rod status

Heart, mind, drill, big extractor...

You need a tie rod bigtime. Although I'd be interested to know how long that slathering of oil keeps the noise at bay.
Hey Robby, the lube work you did on the tie rod is working great. Thank you so much!

I am still budgeting for the work plus most likely the upper control arms this summer.

MaroonB4

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with three pedals
Robby did the timing belt on my 2000 Jetta today. Not only did he do it while I waited, he also pointed out some shoddy work that had been done by the previous owner and during the last TB service. Thanks Robby! HUGE thumbs up!!

elbutler72

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan
Robby has been working on my car for years. He is the only one I trust with my Jetta. He has done, my timing belt, suspension, breaks, alternator, to name a few. Can't say enough good things about Robby and his crew. He always treats me well and gives me straight answers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Rebuilding a TB tensioner failure for me now. Complete head exchange and some other minor work. Texts me the issues with pics to let me know the damage. Keeps in touch with updates. Prompt estimate upon tear down. It is a pleasure to do business with someone who knows his work, charges reasonable prices and communicates well. I met him at a GTG back in 2005 or 2006. Been to a few of his GTG over the years and had dealings with him back when he was supplying B100. When you find a good mechanic stick with him, they are few and far between. Hopefully my new (used) New Beetle will be like new again, what?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well kudus to Robby again due to my forgetting how low the older cars are. Forgot to tell him to install the Panzer plate and side armor on this Beetle. Hit a high crown in the center of the road and took out the oil pan. New pan and Panzer plate with side armor and oil change. Thanks Robby! Pick it up tomorrow again.

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
Another bump for Robby!

He was able to get my wife's 09 JSW TDi in on short notice to take a look at a few things... We have spare cars, so leaving it wasn't a problem. He took care of all issues with no drama, and we're happy to have him in the neighborhood!

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Did a great job on the 40K PM on my 2013 Passat. Good guy, great tech, appreciates tips in 6 pack units.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. They mean a lot to me.

I'm quite sad to say that the shop is closed. Everything was going great but my wife and I just decided that we wanted to move to a smaller town to raise our two daughters. She got a good job at a University and we jumped on it.

Those were some of the best years of my life. I was truly lucky to have such a great group of people that trusted me and supported me. I will have fond memories of you all.

Again, thank you.

Here is me and tikal outside the shop on his last visit:
[/IMG]

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You may be right. I will still need to maintain my own cars so I am keeping a lot of my tools. I do have a garage at the new place but it isn't really big enough to do much with it besides park our cars/bikes in it.

Moved to Chapel Hill, NC.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Sorry to see you go!

Mechanics will always get dragged back in (kicking and screaming in some cases)... just you wait!

Do you have someone in Austin you'd recommend to take over some of that load?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Austin loss, Chapel Hill gain

Hey Robby, I sincerely hope that your new journey in NC is coming along nicely.

Thanks for posting the picture. Great memories and you will be missed indeed. One of these days we will make a road trip to the Appalachian Mountains so maybe we stop by to say hello :)

dwf

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Just found out runonbeer moved from Austin. Sad to see ya go but completely understand leaving Austin. Good luck to you and your family. Thanks for your help over the years from the owner of the black 05.5 my wife called "Possessed".

fahrfrompuken

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Anyone know of a suitable Robby replacement in the Austin or San Antonio area? I'm in need of a timing belt on my 2014 Passat TDI.