Key Won't Go In Ignition Switch

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
It sounds to me like the lock mechanism failed similar to a failure in my 06 Jetta. I had to buy a new one and switch it out. My guess is that you will need to do that as well, but don't worry about having to have keys reprogrammed, as there is nothing in the mechanism you need to replace that requires it. There exists good write ups about how to replace the lock, with the biggest problem being getting two bolts loose that were intentionally designed to make them quite difficult to remove.

Key will only come out 2/3 of the way and then it is stuck. Don't want to force the issue because the car is drivable as is. I thought the lock mechanism was the tumbler assembly. Dealer says $111 to get one programmed and shipped from Germany and $150 to put it in. I've done ignition switches and lock cylinders in B4 and B3 cars, but not a newer electronic one. What part did you buy to solve this problem? Thanks!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I had to replace the Steering Column Lock, part number 1K0905841, which is a royal pain to get out. I don't recall all the details, but there is an easier way to get it out than I did, but it involves destroying yet a different part that will also need to then be replaced. The easier way is what the VW mechanics will do, and charge handsomely for it as well.

Here is a great post about these locks:
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/...k-cylinder-removal-and-repair-on-vw-and-audi/

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
^^^ thanks. I don't think my problem is the steering wheel lock/housing, but the key is stuck in the lock cylinder/immobilizer assembly. I think I'll have them order one and let them do it. I have temporary mechanic burnout. :)

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
When my steering column lock failed, the symptom was that I could not remove the key from the tumbler.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to review my photos and notes, as I did this in August of 2017, having had to buy the steering column lock and special bolts at the local VW dealer for a total of $178. The symptoms were the key could not come out because the steering lock mechanism has a failure prone design that results in a broken piece jamming such that one cannot return it all the way to a locked position, which is necessary to be able to remove the key. I don't remember if it came out part way or not, but I think it did not. The actual tumbler and immobilizer sensor easily comes out as a separate part from the steering lock component, but is most likely not the actual problem at all.

If you have temporary mechanic burnout, by all means have an experienced VW savvy mechanic do this pain in the ass job, as it is definitely a non-trivial exercise. Review the myturbodiesel link I posted previously to see what is involved.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Update. Having an independent VW shop replace the tumbler, housing and switch for $450. Not enough time to do it myself right now and I decided that while it's opened up, replace everything. Thanks for your help.

Rylan_H

TDI
2013 Jetta
Get a flash light, and a normal size screwdriver. Look into the ignition switch with the flashlight, you should see a piece of white plastic blocking the entrance (supposedly a dust cover of sorts). This object is spring loaded, and if it becomes cocked, it will lock in place.
Now comes the screw driver. Work on that plastic with the least amount of effort (force) that you feel is required, until you get it back into place.

I've had it happen twice, back in '05, and it has not happened since.
Thank You Tim....This Worked for me!!! I have a 2013 Jetta SE and even in 2021, this post saved a very frustrated individual from an expensive tow bill. Funny how in that many years VW didn't figure out a better solution to this.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Deja vu all over again, my 07 Jetta with 218k on it did the "you ain't sticking that thing in me" act tonight. I used the uhale method noted above and pushed the little door toward the driver where it seems to have stayed. Even thought the little door is stuck open, the tumblers seem ok and car starts and drives fine. Hope it keeps working.