Connecting rod design?

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
They were forged machined.I don't think it matters too much if it is I beam or H beam as long as there is enough extra mass to the rod.

Wow andy that is crazy any idea of the cause

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
I have never, ever seen separated rod caps and pistons through the head due due to failed big-end bolts in a TDI. More like a subtle but noticeable squiggly bend along the length of the main rod column to something more dramatic like Andy's pic above but in any case, the bolts have not been the weak spot.

Edit: @Machineman, since you've already modeled both I- and H-beam rods in SolidWorks, you can easily query the software to report the moments of inertia Ix and iy of both designs. It would be very illuminating if you would post the results. And if your SolidWorks has the FEA module, you could do a quick and dirty stress analysis at different rod inclinations. I can give you some representative cylinder pressure vs. crank angle data for that analysis if you like.
Thanks i actually already tryed with the fea but im not actually very good at solidworks :confused:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Thanks i actually already tryed with the fea but im not actually very good at solidworks :confused:
You can send me the .sldprt files and I can see what I can do. I believe my e-mail address is in my profile, if not, PM me and I'll send it to you.