This TDI climbed Mt. Washington

picosecond

Veteran Member
We followed all the recommended procedures (1st gear up and down, at ~20 mph, stopping periodically on down leg to check the brakes). The only thing sweating was my hands on the wheel (I admit it). 6600 feet of no guardrails and instant horizon took a little bit of getting used to.

Engine braking on the way down was perfectly sufficient. The only brakes we smelled belonged to other cars. The park services guy who took our money at the bottom was very interested in the TDI; said he'd never heard such a quite diesel and actually paid attention to the torque and HP figures I gave him. Maybe he'll buy one.

Matt

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
ya gotta love these cars. what model was it and year? do you have pictures?

garrett P.
p.s. what the heck is mount Washington anyhow?

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver (helps reflect cosmic rays)
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good
assistant to President Valois in the UPsolute territory

S

SkyPup

My wife was at Mount Washington this past Tuesday and Wednesday, she said it was cold and rainy. She stayed at the Mt. Washington Hotel.

S

SkyPup

6,250 feet, highest peak on the east coast and also the record holder for the highest measured wind speed too in North America and possibly the lowest recorded temperature too.

TRryn

Veteran Member
Never been to Mt. Washington, but I had the same white-knuckled feeling on the Blue Ridge Parkway....you really aren't ever THAT close to the edge there; I just have a thing about heights, I suppose.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Hey! What about having a TDI summit ontop of Mount Washington sometime?

I can just envisage 20 TDI's all climbing the mountain all at once and descending in first gear.

picosecond

Veteran Member
That GTG is a great idea. We got some real nice weather; the inns up there are nice (we stayed in Jackson on rt. 16 at the Ellis River House -- well recommended). Even in the leaf season, there are plenty of places to stay including motels with nice mountain views (especially early in the week, Saturday - Monday).

The summit has facilities, a place to snack, large parking lots, and it would be fun to tear up the road with a bunch of diesels. After that, there are countless places to hang out.

We took our '00 Jetta automatic.

Matt

M

mickey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>6,250 feet, highest peak on the east coast....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pshaw! I'm higher up than that sitting here in my office! (The weather is a whole bunch nicer, though.)

-mickey

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Now we just need someone who lives within a stone's throw to take the lead and organize this little excursion.

BTW - Who lives in NH?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Mt Washington?

The Audi Quattro Club USA and Audi sponser the "Climb to the Clouds" Event every June. The road is narrow no guard rails gravel/paved and Frank Sprongal during the races for the past 3 yrs or so averages 66 mph UP the Mtn. of course he drives a suped up S2 Quattro about 600 hp. I usually do the up trip in about 30 mins for the 17 miles up Frank does it in about 7. A TDI climb up & down sounds great. Sounds like a plan could be started.
PeterV

------------------
PeterV
'00 Jetta TDI
'00 Audi A6 2.7T Wett, UUC & A8 Polished 5 Spokes

Mik

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, green
The Mount Washington idea sounds quite good to me - Plenty of twisty driving on the Kangamangus Highway, maybe a day hike up Mt. Eisenhower (a neighbor of Washington, and a great walking hike) or a longer trip through the Pemigiwasset Wilderness, impromptu show at the summit or at the Mt Washington Hotel...

Of course, it's got some of the most rapidly variable weather in the continental US, http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/ike/ike3.jpg so a more summer-side time frame might be in order...

=Mik

[This message has been edited by Mik (edited October 03, 2000).]

gestalTDIesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Indigo Golf GL
the claim to fame for mt. washington really isn't it's height per se but the fact that it has some of the world's worst recorded weather up there. going up the side of the mt. there's nice foliage and such, and at the summit, whoa, dead zone/barrensville.

it's really amazing that things can change so quick.

------------------
-joe
'00 Indigo Golf GL TDI

Bucky

Veteran Member
Thanks Mickey...

I thought I was going crazy there for a second. 6200 feet? My bathroom is at 4400 feet...snicker... Just down the road is 9500feet. I must confess though that I'm originally a flat-lander,

------------------
If it bleeds...We can kill it.