Finally getting my own garage space! But how much garage space is really enough?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
As some of you might know, I have been a bit of a "garage nomad" for the past 5+ years. Due to some life choices (and a legal agreement) while I still owned a garage, I couldn't use it. ;)

So finally, I'm about to close on some garage space (and it's even got a house attached!) But now that I've grown used to a car loaded with tools, a storage unit with the '64 van and its associated stuff, and borrowed space in another garage, how much space is really needed?

Surely one garage slot is not enough...is two? Let's not even talk about garden equipment needs...yikes

How much garage is enough garage?

Last edited:

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I've always found that an N-car garage generally hold N-1 cars.

The exception was for my first house (2 car garage), and only for the first few years. Once I got the riding mower, I only fit one. The current (second) house with the 3 car garage has never held 3 cars.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
You need a two car garage and put the garden stuff outdoors in a cheap shed.

Garage needs good lighting, storage cabinets/shelves, a 220V outlet for a good air compressor. Also, Cat5 for internet with a old computer. Fridge for cold drinks.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I'm about to close on a new garage with a house out front myself. Two car garage with walk up loft. My primary use will be woodworking, plus bike/lawn stuff storage. I hope to put up a shed or something for the mower eventually... I'll keep my table saw etc on mobile bases so I can make room for a car to do work, but I'm not into anything heavy like engine swaps etc... just basic maintenance. That being said, if you're NOT into anything silly like woodworking, a 2 car would be nice. If it's one without a center post, you could pull the car in the middle and have lots of room to walk around either side.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
As you know 5............... 6 would be better.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I have a 2-car garage that was built in the 1920s so it is not very deep. The Golf fits easily and, with the Passat's rear bumper almost touching the back wall, there's just enough room to squeeze by with the door down. If I have a big project, I move one car out onto the parking pad and put the one I'm working on in on a diagonal. Plenty of room to move around and I can still close the door. Floor to ceiling shelves in both back corners, roll around and tool chest in the middle. Garden tools hanging along one side wall, ladder on the other. Don't have a need for a mower because we replaced the grass with flower beds and ground covers. Meets all of my needs. My woodworking tools are in the basement.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well, I'm thinking I might have enough room...:D:D

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
If you get a garage with a tall enough ceiling, you can put in a lift!
Don't worry about it.... The first time you cycle the lift all the way the ceiling will be high enough....guaranteed. :rolleyes:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Looks like a high roof you got there...now you need one of these:

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not enough height for a lift - and the van with the camper top is going to be close, but I overcompensated with sheer numbers. It's a Garage-apalooza!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Mike, you tease. Is there another one around door #3?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Very nice. I'm struggling with 4.5. Can get 5 cars inside, but as posted earlier, there seem to be six at my house. Or seven.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Soon I will be required to forfeit the Ho5G title to the Ho6G.... We have had it for 10 years..

Mike STOP teasing us.....................

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Stuff is like air molecules. It expands to fill whatever space is provided.

Congrats on the new garage (and house)! Looking forward to the first Ho6G GTG. :D

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, I can not even come close to the TDI experience, expertise or hospitality of the true House of Garages. Thanks but "I'm not worthy!"

We'll need to come up with a new name.

and that's all the garages there are.

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
mikes_18---congratulations, i have to admit to a bit of garage envy after looking at those pics. if you have any remodeling planned on baths or kitchens don't be like those fools on the home repair shows. save your cabinets and hang them on walls or use the bases for a work bench (build a base to raise them a little). again, congrats, i am sure you will find a way to fill the fishbowl, as my mother says.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Nice piece of property,especially w/ all those garages. The only problem with having all that space is that it WILL be filled up,and you'll wonder how the hell that happened:eek:........then wonder what you'll do with all the stuff........