MK4 GOLF WIRING HELP NEEDED-blowing fuses

HouTxVWMan

TDI
2000 MK4 Golf
OK V-DUBERS
My fuse #23 (5a) keeps blowing as soon as I turn on my headlights. The headlights work, break lights, turn signals.. but the tail lights are out and the day time headlights. I have disconnected all headlights and tail lights trying to narrow the ground fault down, but went through a box of fuses. Does anyone have a good wiring schematic? or has anyone had this problem and point me in the correct direction. Thanks
Nick

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Are you getting a flashing "GP" light*? I had that with my Golf; problems with wiring in the (rear) hatch- the wires in the flex boot area break insulation and or wires from flexing and short out.

* That's an indicator of brake light failure (I believe). Not sure if it does this for any other light failures.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My notes say fuse 23 is Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).
If the rear right tail light is out it's not from fuse 23.
Same for DLR.
If the fuse burns out instantly you have a dead short.
The rear hatch boot mentioned is a good possibility.
I use to check for this type of short with a clamp on amp meter. It was inexpensive.
I used an old 2 wire directional flasher and a 1157 bulb to limit the current, the flasher would pulse the wire and I follower the harness.
On my car its a gray/black wire you have to trace.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had this problem also after I was partially rear ended. The bulb holder on the right side had corrosion build up which I cleaned off and sprayed with DeOxit. The brake lights were working, but the same side LED bulb was disintegrating from corrosion; so that got changed also.

HouTxVWMan

TDI
2000 MK4 Golf
it ended up being the wire that goes to the light in the left bumper. I found a electrical schematic and tracked it down. One more thing off the list. Now to fix the cruise control, heater core, ac, and door handle...fml

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou for the update and glad you found the culprit.