Engine cranks but will not start

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
My car won't start. I went to the local bank, and when I came back out, it wouldn't start up.

I checked the anti shutter valve, and it seems ok. I did a quick fuel check (only one line) and it was getting fuel. I checked the timing belt from the top and it seems OK (I'm not sure on how to do a thorough inspection of the belt). All fuses are ok. The glow plug light comes on when you turn the ignition on (and I can hear the relay click). I don't think glow plugs are an issue since it's warm. By the way, there is no CEL. I'm not sure what else I could check.... Please help!

The car has had some intermittent starting issues within the last few weeks.. such as struggling to start up on a couple occasions. But this is the first time it cranks but won't start.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It might be worth seeing if you have the 109 relay on your car, usually in the fuse box under the dash. Here's a pic of mine on my tdi and you can see it has 109 printed on it. They can fail or play up and cause starting problems:)

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
I was hoping to get the car to start up and drive it home (it's a mile away). But I think I might have to get it towed.

I don't think it's the relay, since the glow plug light turns on when the ignition is turned on. It's worth a shot though I suppose, I'll try it.

trtw

TDI
2000 Golf TDi
when my 109 relay crapped out I did not get a glowplug light...... I am not saying that it is not your 109 relay but my under standing is that if your 109 relayrelay has died you will not get the glowplug light

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Ok, well I pulled out the 109 and it seems to be ok. It's also getting voltage at the fuel shut off wire. I really don't understand why the car won't start.

The glow plug light comes on but turns off less then half a second later when the ignition is turned on. I thought it's supposed to be on for about 10-15s?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Ok, well I pulled out the 109 and it seems to be ok. It's also getting voltage at the fuel shut off wire. I really don't understand why the car won't start.

The glow plug light comes on but turns off less then half a second later when the ignition is turned on. I thought it's supposed to be on for about 10-15s?
that's correct for 10-20 deg.F

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Ok well, I don't think it's a glow plug issue. The light might flash on for less then a sec, but the temperatures are always above 40 here anyways.

Any other inputs? I looked through the thread and I'm not sure what else it could be. I don't know how to check if the timing belt slipped or not. It has proper tension.

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Problem solved!!

I got a hold of a vacuum pump and bled the fuel lines, after that she started right up. Wohoo!

jakop92

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI
Yes, I let the car sit for three weeks. Was going to take it to a local trusted mechanic to get the timing checked but I gave it my last attempt, and it worked.

jkleps66

TDI
2006 TDI PD BEW 1.9l Deisel
Hi,

I have been following the TDI forums since buying a 2006 TDI PD. I appreciate all the supportive forums. Finally Registered for the club.

2006 Beetle, 1.9l TDI PD BEW.

1) How do I locate other members in my area? Kyle, TX, south of Austin. I would like support from someone with Vag-Com.
2) I have a unique situation that I am about to take to VW.
Battery light on dash, and car does not start. No codes

New battery, alternator, fuel filter, junction box on top of battery. Car will run for a week, start it, drive to the corner and it dies, always dies right after starting and drive 1/8 mile (5 times). I get the car started with starter fluid, small spray, and let it run. Turn off, try to start, notta.
Towed to ,mechanic and all they said they did was charge the battery. I drove it home, battery 12.79, started next morning with 12.05v before start. Turned off, turned ing on and battery dropped to <11v. I check for volt drain, 24ma all the time. New alt/battery today (warranty).
I am unsure of all the components that can effect the starting of the TDI PD engine.

I did just read about the anti-shudder, EGR.... trying to understand if there is a fuel delivery issue, interlock issue........ Crankshaft, injectors?

Would like to work with TDI group vs the dealership.

thanks

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
First, Welcome to the forum. :)
Next, STOP using 'starter fluid' !!!
It can damage the engine.
If over night the battery drops to 11 volts something is draining it.
It also sounds like a fuel loss maybe a air leak letting the fuel drain back to the tank.
Finding someone in your area with VCDS that may be able to help with scanning your car may find some codes stored.
Last, when you turn the key to on do you hear the fuel pump in the tank running?
You should hear a buzz of hum.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
It's great that you did some searching but you should at least bump a thread that pertains to your engine.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It's great that you did some searching but you should at least bump a thread that pertains to your engine.
Actually, he should start his own thread. Only bump threads if you are going to contribute a solution to or comment about the thread. This thread was about 7 years old.

If you have a similar or related issue, then start your own thread and put the link of the other thread in your post.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you check anything posted in message 1?
Do you have VCDS to scan the car for codes?