Keyless entry remote not working??

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
:( I've got an 06 Jetta TDI and purchased the car with 10,000 miles on it!
Of course the person before me had turned it only 1 remote key and 1 valet key....

Last night I went to pop the trunk via the remote, and it wouldnt work. So I went to unlock the car, and again no good. Same thing with Lock, the remote appears to be at this point not "talking" to the car. I've been having to use the key on my remote to lock / unlock the car.

Whats up with this thing? The red light flashes on the remote when I push a button, but is there a battery in this thing that I can try replacing? :confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
yes theres a batery in it try replacing then see what happens radio shack has the batterys and will install them as well

DZLDRAG

Battery life in remote?

I had one of my two remotes stop working only two months after buying 06 Jetta TDI special edition last spring. I thought it needed to be reset or synronized with car, but dealer put new battery in and that fixed it. How can these be goind dead on a car less than six months off the assembly line?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Two reasons why the remote batteries might be terminating early.
1.) Key fobs in storage long before the car was ever produced, or...
2.) the cheapest batteries that VW could buy in bulk.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
wv tdi said:
The temps have dropped here in WV and the trunk doesn't always open like it does in the summer.
This has been discussed here before. It tends to show up more often with the A5 Jettas in colder areas and for some A5 Jettas containing a spoiler mounted on the top of the trunklid. Quite a few people found that using a dime as a shim under the trunk lid on both sides allows the trunk lid to open with more force. These two threads are worth reading:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=156200

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=184952

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
Variation on the theme...

HI, guys!
My 'o6 remote just developed an interesting variation of "doesn't work" ~

* the trunk unlocks (doesn't lift like when new, but I can live w/ that)
* the car beeps and LOCKS, just fine, BUT
* it won't (as of yesterday) UNLOCK with my remote!
(DH's key, used much less often, does all its tricks properly)

Does this sound like the same "needs new batteries" problem, or something more sinister (and probably expen$ive)?

Hope you all had great Holidays! and Happy New Year!

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Also, I think I remember reading somewhere on here that if you try to unlock the door too many times out of range, it will deactivate itself.

I could be wrong, but it kind of made sense since my stopped working the night I decided to test the range. New battery didn't fix it, reset at the dealer during the next oil change did.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
kharmin said:
HI, guys!

Does this sound like the same "needs new batteries" problem, or something more sinister (and probably expen$ive)?

Yes, your symptoms are the exact indicator that the Remote Battery needs replacement.

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
I lost one of my remotes for my 06 Jetta Diesel Edition and the stealer wants $250 to replace. It has the "P" series remote which is more uncommon than the other two varieties that come on the 06 Jettas. I have found a "P" series with a new uncut key and new transponder installed. I have found a dealership that will cut the new key for no charge. My question is can the key be reprogrammed with VAG COM as I have a VAG COM.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Marauderer said:
I lost one of my remotes for my 06 Jetta Diesel Edition and the stealer wants $250 to replace. It has the "P" series remote which is more uncommon than the other two varieties that come on the 06 Jettas. I have found a "P" series with a new uncut key and new transponder installed. I have found a dealership that will cut the new key for no charge. My question is can the key be reprogrammed with VAG COM as I have a VAG COM.
No, the VAG-COM cannot reprogram Keys.
The Dealership will have to pull SKC info from Germany to do the reprogramming.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Marauderer said:
So Tim what is the SKC's? As Lightflyer said if you have the coding can it be done?
If you have the SKC Code, and access to the particular section in the VAG-COM program, Immo/Instruments, then it is feasible that you could do it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3590467

See the last post in the above link for more information.(and most likely more accurate than my information)

Last edited:

SoMDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE BRM/JCR
kharmin said:
HI, guys!

Same exact symptom I had last month.:( I checked the other remote, which worked normally, so the problem was the remote vs. the car.:cool:

With that bit of troubleshooting done, replaced the battery and all is good with both remotes.:)

BMac

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
One of my remotes went yesterday. Dealer will replace battery free of charge.

Cheers