Lucas Fuel Treatment

FAST450RAY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I got the a 2005.5 Jetta TDI with 25k miles on it, because I will be putting 150 miles a day on it, and I want to do anything possible to make this motor last, I was just curious to see if this product "Lucas Fuel Treatment" would benefit me in any way or will I be just wasting my money?:confused:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

I've used it. It's not any better or worse than any other fuel additive out there. At the worst you will only be wasting your money. The Lucas product does seem expensive when compared to the competition.

Other additives the guys use (in no particular order): Powersevice (white bottle for winter, silver bottle for warm weather), Howes, Stanadyne, Amsoil, and lots of others.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Stick with Power Service (Silver for summer or winter). The cetane improver does more than most other additives.

DB

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Howdy! I cannot say Ive noticed any difference when running it in the diesels, but it does make my motorcycle start easier.

Since you are in Fallbrook, you might look into your local BD producer for better fuel.

FAST450RAY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
mannytranny said:
Howdy! I cannot say Ive noticed any difference when running it in the diesels, but it does make my motorcycle start easier.

Since you are in Fallbrook, you might look into your local BD producer for better fuel.
THAT IS SICK! I WANT ONE! I AM IN! JUST SAY WHEN!!!! BUT WILL IT FIT IN MY 2005.5 JETTA??? LOOKS LIKE IT WILL:confused: ???

Last edited:

FAST450RAY

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Drivbiwire said:
Stick with Power Service (Silver for summer or winter). The cetane improver does more than most other additives.

DB
Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® ???? RIGHT!? IF SO, THANK YOU!! THIS WEBSITE KICKS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS!!!!

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
FAST450RAY said:
Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® ???? RIGHT!? IF SO, THANK YOU!! THIS WEBSITE KICKS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS!!!!
__. Yeah, like da man sed, silver bottle in conditions above freezing, the white bottle when it's below (or a chance to be below) freezing temps. I would like to think that the diesel fuel out there is good quality stuff that has all the really great performance so we wouldn't need an additive; I'd also like to think that there is good in the world in other places, too. But, in the real world, I believe that our engines will benefit from better lubricity, higher cetane*, more stable fuel, and fuel that had the water handles properly. For a few cents a tank, Power Service stuff seems to do this. I'm also pretty sure that there are other additives that also meet this "wide range of improvement" criterion (people have had good results with Stanadyne, Red Line, and others). Other people have looked at the claimed qualities of other additives, particularly those favored by truck engines, and found that they seem to only provide improvements in one or more of the performance areas that we need - not all of them.

__. Lucas may be a "broad range" treatment or it may not -- I'm not sure. But it's clear that there are a number of good treatments out there that do provide the "broad range" of improvements/protections so I don't feel the need to experiment.

(* I had advanced timing on my previous TDI, it really seemed to benefit from a higher cetane rating; it also averaged about 57 MPG over its 129K mile life. My current TDI hasn't had the timing advance set and it doesn't appear to need the higher cetane so much. However, I've seen easier starts, smoother and quieter idling, less smoke on startup, and less smoke under acceleration with Power Service in both cars. If there's any improvement in MPG, it's enough to pay for the additive. I can see some benefits; the benefits of better fuel lubricity and water handling may not be so visible but if they're "free" after you calculate a mileage improvement, then it's not much of a gamble on them, is it? Oh, yeah, throw in all the uncertainty about the lubricity of ULSD and it's response to water and you better bet that I will choose to use a good, wide-range additive).