Not ready for ODBII test--Can vagcom help?

dr_bartolo

TDI
2001 Beetle GLS
Howdy yall. I'm still trying to get my 2001 beetle through Ohio echeck. It's been a saga. Bad glow plugs + un-disabling CEL (someone stuffed a ciggy butt in there) + convincing autozone to clear codes... thought we were all set...

now we took it to echeck and they say the ODB won't be ready for testing until it's been driven for "a while, like a week maybe." What? Does it really take the computer this long to cycle from a code clearing? Can this process be assisted with vagcom?

Looks like another temporary tag. Pretty irritating.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You probably need the "readyness codes" set. Do you have a Bentley's? If so, it tells what each one is, and what to do to set them. I'm not familiar with what they are in an A4, but our 96VR6 I had to do things like hold down the fuel until I went 20 seconds at 3000 rpm in my driveway, and a certain bit would be set. Drive at a constant 2500-3000 rpms for 5 minutes - another would be set. I assume there's something similar with the A4TDIs

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just drive it about 50 miles and they will set. Include some stops / starts (engine stops and starts) in there for good measure.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
scooperhsd said:
Just drive it about 50 miles and they will set. Include some stops / starts (engine stops and starts) in there for good measure.
I tried this on our VR6 and it didn't work. If you want to pass, and have cleared codes recently, it's worth while to check the readyness codes, and follow the procedures to set them. It dook me about an hour (maybe less) driving around doing specific things. I wanted to get it sold - and was worth my time to follow the procedures. It almost certainly will be "fixed" after 1000 miles, but I'm sure that, at least in one case, 50 didn't do squat.