ALH rabbit truck swap

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Got most of the motor assembled today. Fitted the motor mount and trimmed the rear belt cover. Also dowel pinned the crank timing cog to the crank. :)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Also had a scare when torquing the arp2000 head studs. It felt like one of them was stripping out the threads in the block, till i realized it was the 3/8 to 1/2 socket adapter breaking!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Ok, re measured and it is 7.7mm or .303

Im trying to find out if integrated engineering's spacer is the correct thickness, and if they will sell it separately.

Ill also need a tensioner stud and nut.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I haven't heard about any ALHs having wobbly crank pulleys. are they starting to do what the MK3s have been doing? or is the pinning of the crank pully merely belt and suspenders/just in case while you were in there?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I haven't heard about any ALHs having wobbly crank pulleys. are they starting to do what the MK3s have been doing? or is the pinning of the crank pully merely belt and suspenders/just in case while you were in there?

The crank i have came from a car that had spun a crank pulley. It had been in an accident, and spun the pulley, damaging the flat on the crank a bit. I just wanted to be safe.

Laserface

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I called and after much pursuasion the sales guy said it spaces 7/16", though without much confidence. A friend has one on hand ill try and actually get a measurement soon. Glad to know you found it seperately though.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
At least he didn't say that it was two little marks short of half an inch. Accuracy is over rated anyway.

MrDave

Veteran Member
I called and after much pursuasion the sales guy said it spaces 7/16", though without much confidence. A friend has one on hand ill try and actually get a measurement soon. Glad to know you found it seperately though.
The one I measured spaced 0.25".
The outer ring that cups the back the timing belt tensioner is 0.44".

-Dave

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
How much does the calloway clone cost?

Oh never-mind, you are just making piping. Im going with a fmic, and will pipe myself.

Last edited:

Laserface

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Just got this from email from Integrated. It seems 7/16 was close to right.

Hello,
The spacer is 11.15mm thick.
The studs are M10x60MMx1.5MM
And yes the spacer is designed for the 16V tensioner.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank You
Brody Bennett
Integrated Engineering

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Yep. I got a friend to measure one yesterday. I just ordered a hunk of billet 6061. Ill just make one on the lathe.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Work travel put things on hold for a bit but im back and made some progress.

A friend had a spacer on hand from integrated, so I checked it and it is indeed a direct fit. I guess the sales guys cant get their head together and get correct dimensions.
I measured it up and made my own copy today.

Then i took the accessory bracket and hacked off all the bits that arent needed, since im not running AC or Power Steering.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
I wish I didn't have to worry about air here it would be a lot simpler, I like your build, i'm tempted to drop a alh in my other truck instead of the ahu I have,

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
engine, trans mounts

i see epytec has a lot of different trans/ engine mount kits , do you know what unit is for an alh/ 02j trans ?? i sent an e-mail to them with no reply Thanks again Tdan;)

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
contact epytec

has anyone bought from Epytec ?? i could not order on -line & no phone contact ?/ any help Thanks again Tdan:eek:

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
My son and I have both bought mounts from epitech. Nice product and seem to fit very well. Just put the first set in his mk1 rabbit.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
Wow I remember doing this to my AAZ! For those south of th boarder the AAZ was a 1.9TD (IDI) used in the MK3s to replace the 1.6TDs. Great engine but suffered from a crankshaft timing sprocket key/keyway failure. Must have been the surpentine belt setup along with the added accessory loads.
I slapped 3 of these pins in my crankshaft that had the keyway worn off and even that didn't hold for long. Amazing now much load this little sproket sees.

Loving the idea of a TDI MK1 cabby. If I could get my hands on a decent one I would attempt a BHW swap into it.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Well ive made slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
Ive modified the gtb2056vk for vac operation
Ive redrilled the exhaust manifold to accept the GTB turbo
Ive assembled mostly assembled the engine. All that is left is to bolt on the oil filter flange and clutch. Then i can bolt on the trans and finalize locking down the timing.

I found a serp belt that fits.

And shots of the assembled motor.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Ok ive done some measuring and it appears that the streettoys cast manifold i planned on using (same as i have on my MKIV will place the turbo about 1.5" or so into the firewall...

So ive found a different manifold to run. The exhaust manifold from a VW Sharan tdi.
Part number 028253033AH.

Stole this photo from CrAzYDr1veR and his thread on his cracked turbo.

It should place the turbo closer to the block and a touch higher up. Nice thing is the adaptor from Darksidedevelopments will bolt to it making attaching the turbo easy.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Hopefully it gives you a better drop on the oil return too. Was looking a little flat.

You're not building this motor in your basement are you? :)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Yep. I agree the oil drain is flat, however ive been running that same oil return on my mkiv and its worked just fine for 20k miles on that turbo.

Bottom end was built in the basement, but assembled in the garage once it got too heavy to carry out by myself!

Did you get those sockets i sent you?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Fitted the turbo using the sharan manifold today. Much better. Now just to fab the drain line and I can put it in the truck!

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Very nice. I really want to do a CR swap into one of these once my R32 is done.