whistling and loss of power, turbo on its way out?

patricia

TDI
passat 2001 TDI 100
Hello,
I’ll introduce myself, I’m Oliver and wish you all a Happy New Year!
I have a Passat 1.9TDI 100 hp bought new in 2001 with 250.000 miles on the clock, it has served us well. But a week ago, I noticed a noise when accelerating, a slight hissing sound (similar to a person trying to whistle with the mouth for the first time) and last night going up the bank that leads to our house I noticed a clear loss of power. By opening the hood I notices that there is quite a bit of oil that seems to have evacuated just before the turbo (see photo on this link, https://imgur.com/0DRUNTh), after checking the engine oil level I notice that it is missing oil, on the stick Tester its arrives just below the level of the small band indicating the ideal location.
After reading multiple articles with similar problems, it looks like it's a turbo issue, so either I'm lucky and it's a hose burst or other to replace or it's the turbo or worse soI have to make a decision, because a new turbo + placement will surely be more than a thousand pounds and therefore it might be more wise to sell it to a scrap dealer and put the money towards a new car knowing that it has 17 years and 250.000 miles?
So I wonder today what should be my way forward, knowing that I live 30 minutes away from the first garage. And is it wise to drive my car to one of these garages or should I call a tow truck? I thought I’d contact my insurance but I think that since the car is at my home it does not come under breaking donw?
Here is my situation in a few words, thank you in advance for reading me.
Oliver
https://imgur.com/0DRUNTh

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Probably a ruptured hose. The oil leak by the turbo is not new. That one has been leaking for a very long time. I would tow it to that garage and have them look at it.

patricia

TDI
passat 2001 TDI 100
Hello again,
Well I have just done some tests, I started the car for the first time of the day, and a lot of whitish, blueish smoke came out and an unpleasant smell, I let it run for 5 minutes then tried again, and lots of smoke came out again, it also spitted some drops on the floor...I have attached some photos for you to see.
I must say, it does not feel good this one and kinda scared of your replies....
Have a great day, Olivier

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Have you pulled the intake pipe off the turbo and looked at/felt the play on the turbo shaft? Look for damage to fins?

It's probably your turbo but unless you love the car and will rebuild the motor if needed i would personally do a compression test before dropping the cash on a new turbo. Usually if there is that much bearing/seal damage to blow that much oil you'll see fin damage due to excess play.

If you could get a good used one its worth the risk but 600 to 900 bucks for a new turbo i wouldn't try it without first knowing my motor is top notch. Id avoid the Chinese knock off turbos.

Just my 2 cents.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
That doesn't look like oil to me but more like condensation. BUT I strongly suggest you take the car to someone that knows what they are doing and have them properly diagnose it before you do anything else.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
With the amount of white smoke and drops I see it doesn’t look real good. A good way to check is pull the lower intercooler hoses at the turbo so you can see the fins, and test them by spinning with your finger and checking for side to side and back and forth play. Also see if there

The oil from a bad turbo gets dumped into the intercooler and the hoses connected to it. Pull the lower hose off the intercooler, how much oil comes out? A little is normal, when my turbo went and I pulled my hose about 2 quarts came out. Be prepared for a mess, with a big catch basin. Also check the oil with the dipstick is it where it was last time you checked or has it gone down significantly? A big drop is not a good sign.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
The distinct jet coming from under the car says there is a big hole in the turbo discharge hose, which explains the whistling noise and loss of power. The turbo will have gone into limp mode. The smoke must be due to either excessive blowby from the crankcase vent that comes in to the turbo inlet hose or an oil leak from the turbo bearing. Otherwise the turbo only blows air.
You can disconnect the crankcase vent and start it again. If the smoke then comes out of the vent line, your engine is done. If there is only minimal smoke from the vent and lots from the turbo outlet you need a new turbocharger.