Premium Diesel Map

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
I've been looking for premium diesel near Canton as I'm getting ready to move there. I was excited to see some possibility there with the BP on Portage (even though its marked with an "?") I'll try to verify it once I get there.
I work in Canton and I haven't seen it anywhere around, but I usually fill up on the highway. I'll see if I can check the BP on Portage for ya.

mdoaw12i

TDI
2009 JSW/DSG/Black
Any idea where i can get premium diesel in NJ? I currently go to Hess, Sunoco and Shell for diesel fuel and I add Power Service. Tried Exxon once and did not like it.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
On a tangent: are there different standards for the definition of 'cetane nr' between US and EU?
Regular diesel sold here is 51 or 53 cetane, I just switched to "premium" diesel to try it out. They say it's 55 cetane.

What gives? The difference can't be that much (you talk about 40-45 cetane..)?
Yeah - it can be that much difference... i remember reading elsewhere on these forums that in general diesel in europe has a higher cetane that that avaialble in the USA / Canada

If I remember right EU is generally 50 or higher and US is at least 40, but rare to find anything over 50 in the US

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I wanted to add another station that sells "premium" fuel to this list.

Chum's Corner Shell
948 US Highway 31 S
Traverse City, MI 49684

I'm currently on vacation here in this beautiful corner of Michigan. I'm suspicious of most "premium" claims but there was actually a man inside the station who could answer my questions. He said they put their own additives in fuel that bring it up to premium level (they sell regular D2 as well). He said they also test for water in the tanks. This is a truck fueling facility, with a non credit premium pump in back, but there are also diesel pumps selling premium among the gas pumps on the other side. Auto diesel is all premium, he said.

Last edited:

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d

Chum's Corner Shell
948 US Highway 31 S
Traverse City, MI 49684

I'm currently on vacation here in this beautiful corner of Michigan. I'm suspicious of most "premium" claims but there was actually a man inside the station who could answer my questions. He said they put their own additives in fuel that bring it up to premium level (they sell regular D2 as well). He said they also test for water in the tanks. This is a truck fueling facility, with a non credit premium pump in back, but there are also diesel pumps selling premium among the gas pumps on the other side. Auto diesel is all premium, he said.
Ok, I've added it to the map. Thanks for the update.

patter98

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Touareg TDI Lux

Chum's Corner Shell
948 US Highway 31 S
Traverse City, MI 49684

I have been filling up at this station ever since i purchased my TDI little over a year ago. Its great fuel and always 3 cents more than the regular D2 in the area. Just down 37 a few more miles (Towards town across from the Mall) is another shell that sells Premium Diesel as well and is definitely a cleaner station (Not a truck stop) but i usually go to the Truck stop as its a higher volume station.

However i did want to mention that i posted the Shell station you mentioned above back in post 64 but i guess i didnt provide enough info to get it added.

Anyways hope you are enjoying my hometown :)

-Justin

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I have been filling up at this station ever since i purchased my TDI little over a year ago. Its great fuel and always 3 cents more than the regular D2 in the area. Just down 37 a few more miles (Towards town across from the Mall) is another shell that sells Premium Diesel as well and is definitely a cleaner station (Not a truck stop) but i usually go to the Truck stop as its a higher volume station.

However i did want to mention that i posted the Shell station you mentioned above back in post 64 but i guess i didnt provide enough info to get it added.

Anyways hope you are enjoying my hometown :)

-Justin
Thanks, Justin. Yes, we always enjoy TC and the rest of the area. No other place like it. We could go anywhere on vacation and we seem to always choose that corner of Michigan. It's got everything. Interesting how it's grown and changed over the years. We drove home on Saturday. Filled up again at Chum's on our way out of town. I'll have to check out that other Shell next year. It's definitely closer to where we stay. I wonder what kind of additive package they put in their fuel and why more stations don't do this.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I've tried it before and you have to be careful. In my case, out of the first 5 stations, two do not have diesel and never did.
And in my case it only lists one of the stations in my town as having diesel, when we have more like 17 diesel stations to choose from, plus a company that makes B50 locally.

DieselSmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
I've been looking for premium diesel near Canton as I'm getting ready to move there. I was excited to see some possibility there with the BP on Portage (even though its marked with an "?") I'll try to verify it once I get there.
I saw this listed on the map, but highly doubt there is anything 'premium' about the diesel fuel there. For one, many stations that used to carry BP Diesel Supreme still have the old label on their pumps.

BP DIESEL SUPREME no longer exists, and hasn't for several years.

It used to be quite an awesome product, and stood above all other diesel products by a long shot. For the most part, diesel fuel is all the same, hate to tell you brand lovers that - but it all goes through the same pipelines from the refineries to the terminals, at which point it's loaded into separately branded trucks and additized or not at that point. That means that 99% of the stations in your area have fuel with the same cetane level, and perhaps more or less detergency additives in it depending on that brand's particular package. Cetane booster is not cheap, and you can bet they are more than likely not adding any.

BP diesel supreme used to be more refined than regular diesel (at the time it was close to being ULSD when the rest was 500ppm LSD), 50 cetane minimum, great additive package, etc. It was kept in separate pipelines/trucks from refinery all the way to the pump. These days, if anything is labeled BP Supreme it's simply the old 'Amoco Powerblend' which is normal #2 diesel with an additive package that bumps it up to 47 cetane. Perhaps better than regular number 2, although probably not if it has a much higher price.

For the original poster with the BMW - if you're concerned the best thing to do is go to avlube or similar, and buy a few diesel fuel test kits. Take samples of your local stations and get them analyzed. Back when I had an E-Class diesel I did this and the results were very surprising, both in terms of cetane and more importantly (in my opinion) the amount of dirt/particulate matter in the fuel. Finding a clean diesel station is much more valuable than high cetane dirty fuel - you can always use additives to bump up the cetane, but fuel filters only do so much to prevent injector wear etc.

legoleg

TDI
2002 Jetta
Here's a link from BP's site, click on more info to see the charts, and yah, their Supreme is 47...
http://www.bp.com/heliospower/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9032242&contentId=7059241
but a pump not on the map has Supreme. Ive been going there for a few years, with apparently good results... my clear fuel lines under the hood look brand new on a 2002 Jetta with 90k on it. The address is:
4314 W MOUNT MORRIS RD
MOUNT MORRIS, MI 48458
Hope it helps someone

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
I saw this listed on the map, but highly doubt there is anything 'premium' about the diesel fuel there. For one, many stations that used to carry BP Diesel Supreme still have the old label on their pumps.

BP DIESEL SUPREME no longer exists, and hasn't for several years.

It used to be quite an awesome product, and stood above all other diesel products by a long shot. For the most part, diesel fuel is all the same, hate to tell you brand lovers that - but it all goes through the same pipelines from the refineries to the terminals, at which point it's loaded into separately branded trucks and additized or not at that point. That means that 99% of the stations in your area have fuel with the same cetane level, and perhaps more or less detergency additives in it depending on that brand's particular package. Cetane booster is not cheap, and you can bet they are more than likely not adding any.

BP diesel supreme used to be more refined than regular diesel (at the time it was close to being ULSD when the rest was 500ppm LSD), 50 cetane minimum, great additive package, etc. It was kept in separate pipelines/trucks from refinery all the way to the pump. These days, if anything is labeled BP Supreme it's simply the old 'Amoco Powerblend' which is normal #2 diesel with an additive package that bumps it up to 47 cetane. Perhaps better than regular number 2, although probably not if it has a much higher price.

For the original poster with the BMW - if you're concerned the best thing to do is go to avlube or similar, and buy a few diesel fuel test kits. Take samples of your local stations and get them analyzed. Back when I had an E-Class diesel I did this and the results were very surprising, both in terms of cetane and more importantly (in my opinion) the amount of dirt/particulate matter in the fuel. Finding a clean diesel station is much more valuable than high cetane dirty fuel - you can always use additives to bump up the cetane, but fuel filters only do so much to prevent injector wear etc.
I'm not dedicated enough to go testing my own fuel. I've had good luck with BP stations that used to be Amoco. Many of them still carry "Amoco Premium Diesel" and have stickers (or owners) that confirm 47 cetane.

As for that BP in Canton, if someone does try it, please let me know if you can get some sort of confirmation that it's really premium diesel.

pogopop77

TDI
2009 BMW 335d
Here's a link from BP's site, click on more info to see the charts, and yah, their Supreme is 47...
http://www.bp.com/heliospower/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9032242&contentId=7059241
but a pump not on the map has Supreme. Ive been going there for a few years, with apparently good results... my clear fuel lines under the hood look brand new on a 2002 Jetta with 90k on it. The address is:
4314 W MOUNT MORRIS RD
MOUNT MORRIS, MI 48458
Hope it helps someone
Amoco Premier Diesel is 47 cetane as well: http://www.bp.com/heliospower/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9028298&contentId=7051507

Added to the map. Thanks for your contribution!

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI automatic 305,000 miles
It's a shame that we have to put so much effort into finding high quality fuel for our cars. I am in the Binghamton, NY area and about the only source I could find nearby with anything decent is a Mirabito fuel group station in Castle Creek that sells B20. I filled 2 tanks ago at a Sunoco station, soon after I changed the fuel filter, and the car started having cold start issues. Since I added an engine heater, I am find getting out of my garage in the morning, but after being parked out in the cold all day it is not so good.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
a most interesting conversation

I saw a Shell pump marked as 'Premium Diesel' here in San Antonio. I decided to find out what the criteria was for this labeling here in Texas. Here is the ensuing chain of emails (start at the bottom for chronological order):
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 2:29 PM
To: tditom
Cc: Ms. P
Subject: RE: premium diesel

As long as the fuel meets minimum ASTM standards for diesel, by law we do not regulate different grades of labeling. Under current law it would not be a violation to sell minimum standard diesel as "premium."

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 2:02 PM
To: Mr. X
Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

When you say that Texas does not enforce the labeling, do you mean that a retailer can label a pump anything they want?

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 1:54 PM
Cc: Ms. P

Mr. tditom,

"Premium Diesel" (or super, supreme, plus, or premier) is defined by the National Conference of Weights and Measures (NCWM) Handbook 130. Texas does not enforce this standard but does adopt the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard D975-08a for diesel fuel.

Although Texas does not enforce the labeling of premium diesel, it is defined by NCWM to have a higher cetane number than ASTM minimums. NCWM requires a minimum 47 cetane number for premium diesel. ASTM requires a minimum of 40 for all diesels.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Regards,
Mr. X
Coordinator for Fuel Quality
Regulatory Programs Division,
Texas Department of Agriculture

Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:06 AM
To: Ms. P
Hi Ms. P-
Thanks for following up on my request. Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

The station in question is located at 10683 HUEBNER RD, SAN ANTONIO, TX 78240-1307. Both diesel pumps are labeled as “premium diesel”.

Does Texas have criteria for “premium diesel”? Thanks very much for your time.
-tditom

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:58 PM
Cc: Regulatory

Mr. tditom,

Thank you for contacting the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA.) I believe the pump was mislabeled. If you would provide the name of the station, physical address, city, and pump number, I'll have an inspector take a look and contact you with the inspections results.

Best regards,

Ms. P
Coordinator for Weights & Measures

Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:49 PM
To: Texas Department of Agriculture
Subject: premium diesel
Dear Sir-
I have seen a diesel pump labeled as Premium Diesel in San Antonio. I asked the clerk behind the counter at this station and they had no clue what was premium about that fuel. What are the requirements for diesel fuel to labeled as premium in Texas?

Thanks for your time.
-tditom
The bottom line is that some states have very lax standards for diesel fuel labeling. Thank goodness this part of Texas uses TxLED (48 cetane minimum), I'm halfway to premium just on that :D. I add my own Power Service for lubricity and call it good. ;)

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
I saw a Shell pump marked as 'Premium Diesel' here in San Antonio. I decided to find out what the criteria was for this labeling here in Texas. Here is the ensuing chain of emails (start at the bottom for chronological order):

The bottom line is that some states have very lax standards for diesel fuel labeling. Thank goodness this part of Texas uses TxLED (48 cetane minimum), I'm halfway to premium just on that :D. I add my own Power Service for lubricity and call it good. ;)
If I understood his reply:
Texas does not enforce this standard but does adopt the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard D975-08a for diesel fuel. ...ASTM requires a minimum of 40 for all diesels.

Then we should still expect min 40 cetane at our pumps.

Here's emails I got back from Shell & Exxon/Mobil. I told them I live in Texas.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Customer comments are important to us as they enable us to improve our service to the public. This is in response to your inquiry. Shell Diesel (ULSD) can be used with confidence in all model-year vehicles and will also reduce environmental emissions compared to traditional low sulfur diesel fuel. In the US, Shell Diesel meets the ASTM D975 Standard Specifications for Diesel Fuels. This specification includes a minimum cetane of 40. While most of the diesel fuel is greater than 40, we cannot guarantee higher.

If you need further assistance please contact our Shell Solutions Center at 1-888-GO-SHELL (1-888-467-4355).

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you in this matter and look forward to providing you with quality Shell branded products and service in the future.

Sincerely,
Shell Customer Care

Thank you for contacting ExxonMobil.

We hope this information is helpful and answers your questions regarding
the cetane level in our diesel fuels.

Diesel fuel sold at Exxon and Mobil service stations meets the ASTM D975
Diesel Fuel Specification which requires a minimum cetane number of 40.
Having said that, our diesel fuel cetane typically ranges from 43 - 46,
although in California it may trend a bit higher.

For more information of the cetane number please contact the station
directly. You may use our station locator to assist you:

www.exxonmobilstations.com

Sincerely,

Dianelys Hernandez
Exxon Mobil Corporation

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thank goodness this part of Texas uses TxLED (48 cetane minimum), I'm halfway to premium just on that :D. I add my own Power Service for lubricity and call it good. ;)
I don't think you are out of the woods yet. I contacted these same companies and asked the same sorts of questions. The TXled has an out for them to use treated fuel that isn't 48 cetane.

I just sent an email to the Texas Commision on Enviornmental Quality to see if there is anyone in Texas selling 48 cetane fuel. I will follow up with a call on Monday.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can save you the phone calls

Here are my follow up questions/answers with the Coordinator for Fuel Quality of the Texas Department of Agriculture:

Mr. tditom,

TxLED diesel is regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). For more information on their regulations you may refer to their website: http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/sip/cleandiesel.html.

The TCEQ rule covering low emission diesel applies to the eastern half of the state. It requires 48 cetane fuel.

The Lubricity standard / wear scar standard of 520 microns max is the standard adopted by Texas. TDA conducts random and complaint sampling of diesel fuel across the state. However, our current laboratory contract does not include the test for lubricity.

Regards,
Mr. X
Coordinator for Fuel Quality
Regulatory Programs Division,

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 2:55 PM
To: Mr. X
Thank you very much for clearing this up for me, Mr. X. It can sometimes be a challenge to operate a diesel car here in the US J.

Please clear up a couple of more things:
·Is all on-road diesel sold in Texas ‘TxLED’, or just that sold in large metropolitan areas like Houston and San Antonio?
·Is TxLED 48 cetane fuel?
·Are period checks performed on random sampling of retail diesel including the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) wear scar?
·Is the standard for HFRR maximum wear scar in Texas 520 microns?

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,
tditom
If you live in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio or in any of the counties listed in the above link, you have min 48 cetane diesel. ;). This is supported by information on Chevron's site
TxLED fuel is basically the same as California Air Resources Board (CARB) diesel fuel, with one additional specification. Like California, Texas requires that low emission diesel (LED) has sulfur content no greater than 500 ppm, and an aromatics content no greater than 10 volume percent. In addition, Texas requires a minimum cetane number of 48. The alternative low aromatics diesel (ALAD) formulations that have been certified by CARB are also acceptable for TxLED. Finally, Texas has protocols whereby alternative formulations that provide equivalent emissions benefits to LED can be certified. TxLED is required to be used in both on-highway vehicles and in non-road agricultural and construction equipment.
Yes- this is before s15 was introduced, but the cetane spec did not change with sulfur reduction.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's some info from TCEQ's site:
Background

Area(s) affected: HGB, BPA, DFW, Anderson, Angelina, Aransas, Atascosa, Austin, Bastrop, Bee, Bell, Bexar, Bosque, Bowie, Brazos, Burleson, Caldwell, Calhoun, Camp, Cass, Cherokee, Colorado, Comal, Cooke, Coryell, De Witt, Delta, Falls, Fannin, Fayette, Franklin, Freestone, Goliad, Gonzales, Grayson, Gregg, Grimes, Guadalupe, Harrison, Hays, Henderson, Hill, Hood, Hopkins, Houston, Hunt, Jackson, Jasper, Karnes, Lamar, Lavaca, Lee, Leon, Limestone, Live Oak, Madison, Marion, Matagorda, McLennan, Milam, Morris, Nacogdoches, Navarro, Newton, Nueces, Panola, Polk, Rains, Red River, Refugio, Robertson, Rusk, Sabine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, San Augustine, Shelby, Smith, Somervell, Titus, Travis, Trinity, Tyler, Upshur, Van Zandt, Victoria, Walker, Washington, Wharton, Williamson, Wilson, Wise, and Wood counties.
Start date: October 1, 2005
Expiration/End date: None
Applicability Period: All Year
Source type: Mobile Source
Emission(s) targeted: Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)
Rule/Citations: 30 TAC 114, Subchapter A, §114.6 ( PDF)( HTML ) and Subchapter H, Division 2, §§114.312-114.319 ( PDF)( HTML )
Description: The goal of the TxLED program is to lower emissions of NOx and other pollutants from diesel-powered motor vehicles and nonroad equipment. It applies to diesel fuel producers, importers, common carriers, distributors, transporters, bulk terminal operators, and retailers. The rule covers 110 counties in the eastern half of Texas, including the ozone nonattainment areas of Beaumont-Port Arthur, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Houston-Galveston-Brazoria. The rule requires that diesel fuel as defined under 30 TAC §114.6 produced for delivery and ultimate sale to the consumer –for both on and nonroad use – must contain less than 10 percent by volume of aromatic hydrocarbons and must have a cetane number of 48 or greater. Some compliance options are allowed.
It's all good ;)

bluelineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
Here are my follow up questions/answers with the Coordinator for Fuel Quality of the Texas Department of Agriculture:

If you live in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio or in any of the counties listed in the above link, you have min 48 cetane diesel. ;). This is supported by information on Chevron's site

Yes- this is before s15 was introduced, but the cetane spec did not change with sulfur reduction.
Thanks for the link. The replies I got from Shell & Exxon/Mobil were rather generic. I told them I live in Texas, they didn't mention minimum 48 cetane.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well I spoke with Morris Brown at TCEQ. Mr. X wasn't available. ;)

Morris Brown
TCEQ
Air Quality Planning Section
Phone: (512) 239-1438

He said there were two ways the producers could meet their obligation for TxLED compliance. One was the less than 10% aromatics and 48 or better cetane. The other was through approved alternative diesel fuel formulations (which have no cetane requirements other than the minimum 40 cetane).

The method that seems to be being used with out meeting the 48 cetane requirement is"

(f) Alternative diesel fuel formulations that the producer has demonstrated to the satisfaction of the executive director, through emissions and performance testing methods prescribed in §114.315(c) and (d) of this title (relating to Approved Test Methods), as achieving comparable or better reductions in emissions of oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter may be used to satisfy the requirements of subsections (b) and (c) of this section. For alternative diesel fuel formulations that incorporate additive systems, the estimated emissions benefits of the alternative diesel fuel formulation may be determined by comparing the emissions and performance characteristics of the alternative diesel fuel with the additive system versus the emissions and performance characteristics of a diesel fuel without the additive system, as determined by the testing methods prescribed in §114.315(c) and (d) of this title.

So it seems from talking with Mr. Brown that as long as they can show they meet the requirements through additive additions they don't have to meet the 48 cetane requirement of the other rule section.

One good thing maybe is that he said a fuel study was done in 2008 and diesel fuel in Austin was running around 48 cetane. Dallas/San Antonio 46, Houston 44 and Bryan/College Station 54. He said another fuel study is being done soon and should be out in the fall and posted to the web site.

Still no guarantees of what cetane fuel we are getting in or out of the TxLED areas except that it is above 40.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Morris Brown's follow up email to me:

Dear Mr. Ervin:

The Texas low emission diesel (TxLED) regulations provide diesel producers with five options for complying with the TxLED requirements, one of which is to produce diesel fuel with a maximum aromatic hydrocarbon content of less than 10% by volume and a minimum cetane number of 48. However, most TxLED is currently produced using one of the other options that allows the use of additives to achieve the same emission reductions and therefore the reporting of the cetane values for this fuel is not required.

Nevertheless, due to the reductions in sulfur needed to meet the federal ultra-low sulfur diesel regulations, many diesel producers are supplying diesel in Texas that have cetane values averaging 48 or higher. In 2008, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) conducted a summer fuel field study that showed many areas of Texas were being supplied with diesel that had average cetane values near 50, including the Austin-San Antonio areas. For more detailed information regarding the results of this fuel survey, please see the 2008 Summer Fuel Field Study's Final Report and data files, which are available on the TCEQ's Web site at http://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/airmod/project/pj_report_mob.html.

Please call me at (512) 239-1438 if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Morris R. Brown
Air Quality Planning Section
Chief Engineer's Office
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
Mail Code: 164
P.O. Box 13087, Austin TX 78711-3087
Phone: (512) 239-1438
FAX: (512) 239-1500
Email: mbrown@tceq.state.tx.us

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
In case it hasn't been mentioned, CountryMark, a refinery in Indiana, supplies many stations in Indiana (and one in Ohio - Greenville).

The closest station to Chicago is 52 miles away in Lake Village IN.
There is a station 34 miles from the center of Cincinnati (Brookville IN).
The station is Constantine MI is 32 miles from Kalamazoo.
The Corydon IN station is 22 miles from Louisville KY.

This search tool reveals the stations. I don't know if they all carry both grades of premium diesel, but since the lower of the two grades is 50 cetane, it doesn't matter, eh?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
In case it hasn't been mentioned, CountryMark, a refinery in Indiana, supplies many stations in Indiana (and one in Ohio - Greenville).

The closest station to Chicago is 52 miles away in Lake Village IN.
There is a station 34 miles from the center of Cincinnati (Brookville IN).
The station is Constantine MI is 32 miles from Kalamazoo.
The Corydon IN station is 22 miles from Louisville KY.

This search tool reveals the stations. I don't know if they all carry both grades of premium diesel, but since the lower of the two grades is 50 cetane, it doesn't matter, eh?
CountryMark Premium-R is all I use these days. http://www.countrymark.com/pdr.cfm
Many stations also carry bio-diesel in various blends. I think the other premium fuel (Diesel X) is off road for farm equipment.