www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old December 31st, 2017, 17:00   #1
Bugsy57

TDI(s): Jetta
Default MPG before and after emission fix

I had a 2013 tdi jetta but it was rear ended last week and it looks like its a total loss, I would love to fix it and roll on, but I don't have the time. my question to all of you is I'm looking at a 2015 Golf tdi or a 2015 Passat tdi and I was wondering what the mpg would be between the two, I know the Golf is a smaller car that the Passat, but just wondering if confort in the Passat would be worth the lesser mpg. I have drove both cars and the Passat is way more comfortable, than the Golf, but the golf is a few thousand dollars cheaper, I drive about 1 hour to work one way every day. I was averaging about 38 to 42 with my 2013 jetta tdi before the emission fix and 35 to 38 after the emission fix, so if the 2015 Passat is close to 35 to 38 mpg then I will go with the Passat, I love the room the Passat has but its just a work car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Scotty

Last edited by Bugsy57; December 31st, 2017 at 17:05. Reason: error
Bugsy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 17:33   #2
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy57 View Post
I drive about 1 hour to work one way every day. I was averaging about 38 to 42 with my 2013 Jetta TDI before the emission fix and 35 to 38 after the emission fix, so if the 2015 Passat is close to 35 to 38 mpg then I will go with the Passat, I love the room the Passat has but its just a work car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scotty
Scotty........if I had to drive 1 hour to work every day so 2 hours in my car just to go to and from work I would not care about 1 or 2 MPG it would be all about comfort. How much would you save over a years time? Here in the upper midwest right now I'm not fretting about what my fuel bill will be to keep my house warm I just want to be warm and comfortable. If I were you get the Passat. that being said I have a Passat and yes it is a more comfortable drive than my previous 2010 JSW

Last edited by MichaelB; December 31st, 2017 at 17:36.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 17:47   #3
Bugsy57

Thank you MichaelB I understand what your saying and I'll leaning to the Passat but its all about saving money as well after all isn't that why we drive the tdi's. Just saying thanks for your input, what kind of mpg do you get out of your Passat.
Old December 31st, 2017, 18:00   #4
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you Michael I understand what you're saying and I'll leaning to the Passat but its all about saving money as well after all isn't that why we drive the tdi's. Just saying thanks for your input, what kind of mpg do you get out of your Passat.
Well,
You are in Texas I'm in frozen Wisconsin so here is what I normally achieve a year-round average of 38 MPG Winter Spring Summer and Fall. Diesel with winter fuel and winter tires do not fare as well as a diesel car in TX with straight D2 and all season tires........so take it from there. Also, these numbers are all from before the dieselgate emissions fix. It will take another year to determine those numbers. As I previously said how much will you really save in FE over comfort in a years time 20 bucks maybe, less than a case of good beer, it's up to you. Pinch your pennies till Lincoln cries or be comfortable. Either car will serve you well. Or you could buy a Prius and have no driving pleasure or comfort but save even more money on fuel.

Last edited by MichaelB; December 31st, 2017 at 18:15.
Old December 31st, 2017, 18:16   #5
Bugsy57

Yes the Passat i have drove so far I liked the room and the car but I did not get to drive it for a weekend or a long time I'm sure I will go with the Passat because of the size and comfort but I was just woundering what the mpg would be between the two cars. Thanks for your input.
Old December 31st, 2017, 18:30   #6
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm sure I will go with the Passat because of the size and comfort but I was just wondering what the mpg would be between the two cars. Thanks for your input.
Well, I hope I helped. Many others will expound on how the Golf may be less comfortable but snappier to drive. It all depends on what you want. I was not all that happy with the drivability of my Passat after owning 2 JSW's so I upgraded the dampers with Koni FSD's but that cost money so ... you can save a couple of k in the initial cost and a slightly better margin in FE. But I'll take the room and comfort over both of those options. That's just me. Later on let us here know what you chose and what you think after driving either car for a while OK.. have a Happy New Year and drive on.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:13   #7
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 MPG last 10 tanks & 57 MPG BEST
Default Before & after

Same.

47.3 MPG last 10 refills
Rodmiser is offline   Reply With Quote