2009 Q7 TDi

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Wife was driving the car. Has around 120K miles. Wife made a turn into a street then saw a blinking warning light with "squiggly" lines on it. Shortly after that steering became heavy and engine died. Towed to the dealer. Got a call just now. "There's metal all over the fuel system".
Is it time to panic?

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Squiggly lines sounds like glow plug light. Possible hpfp failure, report back when you get an update.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Parts on the way for a new fuel system. Checking compression to make sure there is no scuffing of the combustion chamber.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI covered it. I just spoke with a friend who is a mechanic that went to a class that covered the topic on the HPFP. The piston of this pump has tolerances that are supposedly so tight that if one took a piston out, held it in a cupped hand and let the piston acquire your hands' temperature, you couldn't put the piston back in the cylinder.
I don't know if there are tolerances THAT tight. The issue with these HPFP failures apparently have to do with fuel contamination, majority of the time occurring at the gas station unbeknownst to the car owner. The other thing is that the time of fuel contamination does not correlate with the time of the HPFP failure, so if the contamination occurred 6 months ago or 5,000 miles ago, the thing could still launch.
Therefore, in my mind, my replacement HPFP may launch again, and I doubt AUDI will cover a $13,000 repair bill a second time.