NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
why not just replace the HPFP after so many miles as a normal service? What is the cost to replace the HPFP vs. replacing the HPFP after it fails and takes out the entire fuel system?
I remember someone mentioning $1500, but I'm not sure if that was just the part or included the install. There should be an expert along any minute to give us an exact figure....

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
VW needs to warranty the HPFP if it ever implodes taking out half the engine and causing an $8000+ repair bill.

Warranty should be for lifetime as no one single item failing should ever cost that much to repair.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So when your car gets to 140K and then your HPFP goes, your car gets sold for parts instead of simply replacing the broken part.
It won't happen. If when I get that many miles I'll see how many cars are affected and make a decision. Let her continue on or replace it when the timing belt gets replaced. I'll have a look at the wear at that time either way.

Quality used vehicles with 140K-160k are worth 3K-6K (a 2002 Toyota Camry in good shape with 150K is worth about 4K.) Anybody that owns a used car that is in need of a repair balances the cost of doing the repair against using the same money on getting another vehicle. The cost of replacing the HPFP is unlike any repair ever needing to be done on a VW with high miles. Your only hope against this is that some company will come along and sell a HPFP kit that will bring your TDI back into a "normal" used vehicle repair cycle. What are the odds of a company doing that?
I'd guess pretty good if they are failing in any numbers and not so much if it remains pretty rare.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I'm seeing far more cars show up with 120,000 plus miles than HPFP failures.
But it only takes your hpfp to fail..........................and that changes everything. All the other pumps that have not failed are irrelavant when your pump fails.

The main problem with the Bosch hpfp used on the CR VW's is the aluminum housing. Had different materials been chosen, I doubt we would be having this conversation.

Take a look at the CP3 Bosch hpfp. Thats not aluminum that the pump pistons are running in. I also believe that the Bosch pump used in the CR VW's could be improved by using a nicasil coating on the piston bore. BUT who is going to take that $10,000 gamble to see if it works? NO ONE.................atleast not yet. So, here we sit and wait.

Last edited:

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
VW needs to warranty the HPFP if it ever implodes taking out half the engine and causing an $8000+ repair bill.

Warranty should be for lifetime as no one single item failing should ever cost that much to repair.
Agreed. Would Toyota be selling Prius if it was hit or miss if the battery pack would last 25K miles and they cost $8K to replace?

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
But it only takes your hpfp to fail..........................and that changes everything. All the other pumps that have not failed are irrelavant when your pump fails.
Sure. About like if a semi hits me. I imagine the odds of the latter are more likely.

The main problem with the Bosch hpfp used on the CR VW's is the aluminum housing. Had different materials been chosen, I doubt we would be having this conversation.

Take a look at the CP3 Bosch hpfp. Thats not aluminum that the pump pistons are running in. I also believe that the Bosch pump used in the CR VW's could be improved by using a nicasil coating on the piston bore. BUT who is going to take that $10,000 gamble to see if it works? NO ONE.................atleast not yet. So, here we sit and wait.

Yep.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-volkswagen-diesel-nhtsa-jetta-audi-a3-golf/1

Might have been posted but im not going through 203 pages to find out. Word is slowly getting out but im still excited to pick up my new golf tdi in two weeks or so.
The article is over a year old but I have a question but I have a question. Is it noting that the investigation is on 2009 and 2010 cars because of the date of the article?

I assumed it was on all CR TDI's. (now)

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
The usatoday article in the announcement of the upgrading / expansion of the Preliminary Evaluation of the HPFP issue by the opening of an Engineering Analysis (investigation number EA11003) on February 7, 2011.

Yes, it now includes all CR TDIs. NHTSA's Information Request (IR) of October 7th, 2011 to VW indicates that MY 2009 - 2012 VWs and Audis TDIs are part of the investigation.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Agreed. Would Toyota be selling Prius if it was hit or miss if the battery pack would last 25K miles and they cost $8K to replace?
Didn't the NHTSA step in and force Toyota and Honda to offer a 100K warranty on the batteries and electric drive train? That way early adopters would not be left holding a lump of coal if the batteries did not hold up.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The usatoday article in the announcement of the upgrading / expansion of the Preliminary Evaluation of the HPFP issue by the opening of an Engineering Analysis (investigation number EA11003) on February 7, 2011.

Yes, it now includes all CR TDIs. NHTSA's Information Request (IR) of October 7th, 2011 to VW indicates that MY 2009 - 2012 VWs and Audis TDIs are part of the investigation.
Thanks.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
FINALLY! That is great news to see the CR's pulled into this. Forumites can take a lot of credit for this by their reporting of HPFP failures.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
That doesn't mean they are hiding anything. They will report all of them that there is to report.
I doubt VW was intentionally "hiding" anything in the premininary evaluation (PE). They are likely simply reporting what was requested by NHTSA. The initial data request was a PE and the data requested was very specific to vehicles "stalling" likely because that's what consumers documented in their report of their incident to NHTSA.

For example, in the PE the defintion of "alleged defect" was "stalling and/or loss of motive power". So if the car simply wouldn't start and was fixed under warranty by replacing the fuel system, the failure would likely not be shown.

Contrast the above definition of "alleged defect" to NHTSA's latest definition as shown below. I believe we will see more HPFP failures being reported now than was shown in the PE. I think it's safe to say the original numbers of HPFP failures are low. Notice the word "stalling" is not now mentioned. There have been cases where vehicles simply acted up briefly while driving (no stalling), simply didn't start (no other warning) and so forth that resulted in HPFP replacement (but with no stalling).

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I doubt VW was intentionally "hiding" anything in the premininary evaluation (PE). They are likely simply reporting what was requested by NHTSA. The initial data request was a PE and the data requested was very specific to vehicles "stalling" likely because that's what consumers documented in their report of their incident to NHTSA.

For example, in the PE the defintion of "alleged defect" was "stalling and/or loss of motive power". So if the car simply wouldn't start and was fixed under warranty by replacing the fuel system, the failure would likely not be shown.

Contrast the above definition of "alleged defect" to NHTSA's latest definition as shown below. I believe we will see more HPFP failures being reported now than was shown in the PE. I think it's safe to say the original numbers of HPFP failures are low. Notice the word "stalling" is not now mentioned. There have been cases where vehicles simply acted up briefly while driving (no stalling), simply didn't start (no other warning) and so forth that resulted in HPFP replacement (but with no stalling).

Seems to me that would include people reporting IC icing also and not just HPFP issues.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Why would you think that?
#5.

"I don't know. I start off in the morning and it's hesitating like it isn't getting any gas and then stalled.".

VW Dealer report: Customer says it seems like the car is not getting gas and hesitating. No problem found.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
#5.

"I don't know. I start off in the morning and it's hesitating like it isn't getting any gas and then stalled.".

VW Dealer report: Customer says it seems like the car is not getting gas and hesitating. No problem found.
I believe the intent is malfunctions "of the fuel system" and VW would likely have asked for clarification. But, hey what the heck a few reportings of the IC issue won't hurt.:D

But you also need to read every specific question involving the "alleged defect" to see what is specifically asked. VW needs to supply some data if the data "may relate" to the alleged defect. In which case, hard starting, hesitation on starting, stalling on starting data should be reported when applicable to the question. So, if I were responding (and I responded to many state, Federal, and civil suit data requests), I would provide data if the data was remotely related.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
How long does it take for a report to show up on a failed pump. Mine was done for a while and don't see it in there....

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
When I was talking to the guy about the failed pump he stated that he done a couple of them himself already

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
How long does it take for a report to show up on a failed pump. Mine was done for a while and don't see it in there....

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
What are you looking at, the VW spreadsheets submitted to NHTSA? Anything after about Feb. / March 2011 is likely not on the spreadsheet. I haven't seen any requirement by NHTSA for VW to continually update (like monthly) the spreadsheets.

Hopefully, the "English" language data from NHTSA's last IR will be posted soon on NHTSA's web site. Then, hopefully we will see updated numbers.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
No i was looking by state...and didn't see mine...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I have been reading these threads as fast as I can to get up to speed on this site. This one hits a little to close to home. I have a 2012 Golf TDI DSG base model. Built Nov 2011 and purchased mid Jan 2012. I currently have 6912 miles on it. I picked it up with 284 miles on it in a suburb of Youngstown Ohio and was a dealer trade driven in from Dayton Ohio. The MFI shows consumption2 47.8 and route2 3188 miles. I am very pleased. Majority of the time BP fuel. My commute is 112 miles round trip 6 to 7 days per week all on country roads no freeway. The past few weeks (a total of 4 times) my car sputtered while driving under slight acceleration before the engine was warmed up. The distance from the starting point was a 1/4 mile (3 times) and 7 miles (once). I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. If this is the beginning of what I hope it isn't I will keep you guys informed for tracking.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
Thanks for the thread. I've started reading, this will take awhile. I'm hoping for a happy ending.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
I've been reading this whole thread from day one, part of the reason I bought a new Subaru.

Just for perspective, my new Subaru owner's manual has 2 pages of cautions about fuel quality, and specifically states that any fuel with octane boosting additives is forbidden and voids the warranty. It's not just VW USA struggling with fuel quality, seems like everyone's susceptible. Choose your poison.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I've been reading this whole thread from day one, part of the reason I bought a new Subaru.

Just for perspective, my new Subaru owner's manual has 2 pages of cautions about fuel quality, and specifically states that any fuel with octane boosting additives is forbidden and voids the warranty. It's not just VW USA struggling with fuel quality, seems like everyone's susceptible. Choose your poison.
I asked this before and it does not excuse VW for the poor design. Even with top quality fuel, it's a poor design.

But why are we acceptable of the poor quality of gas? For what we pay for it, it should always be consistant and of high quality.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I asked this before and it does not excuse VW for the poor design. Even with top quality fuel, it's a poor design.

But why are we acceptable of the poor quality of gas? For what we pay for it, it should always be consistant and of high quality.
Because we have, for years (about 100), had cars and trucks that would run on just about anything that would combust. Diesel was originally working with peanut oil. George Washington Carver, amoung many other great things, was trying to develop a strain of peanut that produced greater yeild of oil for use in cars.