109 relay?

intertan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta 5 speed
Had my 03 just die on the street. Pulled over and tried to start, just turns over and over and over. no cel code.

Towed it home and looked at a few thinks, cracked a injector line, got fuel. Has oil and I just filled up with diesel. There is no signes of it wanting to start.

I am thinking 2 things, 1 109 relay no spare and I am out of town next week. Possibly ecu issue?

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
What happened prior to it dying? Did you get any lights? When you were trying to start it, if the tach didn't move and you didn't get the GP light, then yes I'd say 109. Otherwise it might be a red herring.

intertan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta 5 speed
What happened prior to it dying? Did you get any lights? When you were trying to start it, if the tach didn't move and you didn't get the GP light, then yes I'd say 109. Otherwise it might be a red herring.
It just died, was downshifting coming to a rail road crossing and then nothing.
Just tried it now, started.

Parts are ordered, taking my truck this weekend. been sitting a few months.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
If you have a soldering gun, you should be able to fix your 109 relay yourself, if that is in fact your problem. Just pull the relay, and then pull the cover off it and see if the prongs have broke loose from the board.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I haven't had to deal with the 109 relay so I don't know much about it, but couldn't you just put a jumper wire in place of the relay and see if she'll go?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Assuming you are jumping the load of Relay 109, I would advise to use at least a 12 gauge stranded wire with heavy spades on each end. There are a lot of circuits down stream that receive voltage through that relay ....... prolly why the darn thing fails! (heat)